Thread: Maine Adopts Reciprocity Law

State Researcher

Post imported post

From the NRA:

Wrapping up the Maine 2007 Legislative Session, Governor John Baldacci (D) signed two pro-Second Amendment measures into law, both introduced by State Representative Rich Cebra (R-101).
    LD 148, “An Act To Provide Fairness in Concealed Weapon Reciprocity Agreements,” directs the Commissioner of Public Safety to work in cooperation with the Attorney General to conduct a comprehensive review of other states’ concealed weapon laws for the purpose of identifying and seeking other states with which Maine may enter into concealed weapon reciprocity agreements. The Commissioner of Public Safety shall report findings and progress to the Joint Standing Committee on Criminal Justice and Public Safety no later than January 1, 2008. Upon receipt of the report, the Joint Standing Committee on Criminal Justice and Public Safety may submit necessary legislation to the Second Regular Session of the 123rd Legislature.

This bill will allow Maine to establish reciprocity with any willing state.
    James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
    Admitted to practice in West Virginia and Florida.

Founder, Past President, Treasurer, and General Counsel, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    Life Member, NRA

Founder's Club Member - Moderator Gray Peterson's Avatar

Post imported post

Reading the bill, no it does not.

What it does say is that the Maine AG along with the State Police must review other states so that enabling legislation may be passed in the second session. Reciprocity is not the law yet in Maine.

Post imported post

Lonnie Wilson wrote:

What it does say is that the Maine AG along with the State Police must review other states so that enabling legislation may be passed in the second session. Reciprocity is not the law yet in Maine.

Well, technically it is a reciprocity law....

Post imported post

Be happy, at least it's a step in the right direction.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

Lonnie Wilson wrote:

Maine has had a reciprocity provision on the books for years now. They are allowed to enter into agreements with 2 states. Wierd huh. They checked with Vermont and New Hampshire, both states did not qualify for reciprocity. Vermont because they have no permit and New Hampshire does not have training requirements. They never bothered to check with other states.

Hopefully a new law next year will fix this.

Post imported post

Reciprocity with ME would be great for me. They should recognize TN permits (TN all ready recognizes ME.)

Post imported post

Reciprocity would be great for me as well since I live I Massachusetts and have a Mass LTC and a New Hampshire permit.

Post imported post

:celebrateLive in Canada..............Have Maine, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, UtahCCW permits.:celebrate

Post imported post

Jared wrote:
    Lonnie Wilson wrote:

Maine has had a reciprocity provision on the books for years now. They are allowed to enter into agreements with 2 states. Wierd huh. They checked with Vermont and New Hampshire, both states did not qualify for reciprocity. Vermont because they have no permit and New Hampshire does not have training requirements. They never bothered to check with other states.

Hopefully a new law next year will fix this
    he last I knew Me and NH honered each other's permits

Post imported post

Maine does not accept NH's permit...

Post imported post

ProguninTN wrote:
    Reciprocity with ME would be great for me. They should recognize TN permits (TN all ready recognizes ME.)
    wait i saw somewhere in there that you DO NOT need a permit to carry in vermont? is this true? if so im totaly moving there lol

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

jay75009 wrote:
    ProguninTN wrote:
    wait i saw somewhere in there that you DO NOT need a permit to carry in vermont? is this true? if so im totaly moving there lol
    Same for Alaska.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Yeah, I grew up in VT and visit every few months to see family. Its great, no permit...no waiting period on handguns...just grab and go.

Its fun though, in all the years I lived in VT never saw anyone OC...I did once for giggles. Got a odd look or two, no comments.

I figured "why not...what are they going to do...take my PERMIT AWAY BWHAHAHA"

Just no jobs for engineers *shrug*

-Bingo

Post imported post

jay75009 wrote:
    ProguninTN wrote:
    Absolutely true.