• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Maine Adopts Reciprocity Law

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

From the NRA:

Wrapping up the Maine 2007 Legislative Session, Governor John Baldacci (D) signed two pro-Second Amendment measures into law, both introduced by State Representative Rich Cebra (R-101).
LD 148, “An Act To Provide Fairness in Concealed Weapon Reciprocity Agreements,” directs the Commissioner of Public Safety to work in cooperation with the Attorney General to conduct a comprehensive review of other states’ concealed weapon laws for the purpose of identifying and seeking other states with which Maine may enter into concealed weapon reciprocity agreements. The Commissioner of Public Safety shall report findings and progress to the Joint Standing Committee on Criminal Justice and Public Safety no later than January 1, 2008. Upon receipt of the report, the Joint Standing Committee on Criminal Justice and Public Safety may submit necessary legislation to the Second Regular Session of the 123rd Legislature.

This bill will allow Maine to establish reciprocity with any willing state.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Reading the bill, no it does not.

What it does say is that the Maine AG along with the State Police must review other states so that enabling legislation may be passed in the second session. Reciprocity is not the law yet in Maine.

Kingfish

imported post

Lonnie Wilson wrote:

What it does say is that the Maine AG along with the State Police must review other states so that enabling legislation may be passed in the second session. Reciprocity is not the law yet in Maine.

Well, technically it is a reciprocity law....

Jared

imported post

Lonnie Wilson wrote:

Maine has had a reciprocity provision on the books for years now. They are allowed to enter into agreements with 2 states. Wierd huh. They checked with Vermont and New Hampshire, both states did not qualify for reciprocity. Vermont because they have no permit and New Hampshire does not have training requirements. They never bothered to check with other states.

Hopefully a new law next year will fix this.

pricedo

imported post

:celebrateLive in Canada..............Have Maine, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, UtahCCW permits.:celebrate

shooter z

imported post

Jared wrote:
Lonnie Wilson wrote:

Maine has had a reciprocity provision on the books for years now. They are allowed to enter into agreements with 2 states. Wierd huh. They checked with Vermont and New Hampshire, both states did not qualify for reciprocity. Vermont because they have no permit and New Hampshire does not have training requirements. They never bothered to check with other states.

Hopefully a new law next year will fix this
he last I knew Me and NH honered each other's permits

jay75009

imported post

ProguninTN wrote:
Reciprocity with ME would be great for me. They should recognize TN permits (TN all ready recognizes ME.)
wait i saw somewhere in there that you DO NOT need a permit to carry in vermont? is this true? if so im totaly moving there lol

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

jay75009 wrote:
ProguninTN wrote:
Reciprocity with ME would be great for me. They should recognize TN permits (TN all ready recognizes ME.)
wait i saw somewhere in there that you DO NOT need a permit to carry in vermont? is this true? if so im totaly moving there lol
Same for Alaska.

Yata hey

Bingo85

imported post

Yeah, I grew up in VT and visit every few months to see family. Its great, no permit...no waiting period on handguns...just grab and go.

Its fun though, in all the years I lived in VT never saw anyone OC...I did once for giggles. Got a odd look or two, no comments.

I figured "why not...what are they going to do...take my PERMIT AWAY BWHAHAHA"

Just no jobs for engineers *shrug*

-Bingo

Trekker

imported post

jay75009 wrote:
ProguninTN wrote:
Absolutely true.