• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

out of state buyer

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

khmer_gentleman wrote:
i'm from PA, i want to buy a gun from a person who is from VA. does anyone know how long the process takes and if its a diffcult process?
Should be fairly simple....the person in VA will have to ship the gun to an FFL dealer in PA near you....you then go the the FFL dealer for transfer.....the FFL will charge a fee, $25 or so, to do the transfer.

unrequited

imported post

It can go as fast as you can both get to your respective ffl (gun shops), probably $20-$60 on each end for transfer costs, and however long for shipping.

I'm not sure exactly if you need to be insta-checked on both ends, but call up a couple shops around your area that you'd receive the gun at, and I'm sure they'll have all the answers for you.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

unrequited wrote:
khmer_gentleman wrote:
what if i go to VA? how does the process go?
illegally. > ) You can't buy guns across state lines as per federal laws.
That only applies to handguns....long guns can be bought outside your state of residence.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

khmer_gentleman wrote:
well i work in MD, so VA isnt too far. could i just go to a ffl in VA and get it done there?
You cannot buy a pistol outside your state of residence

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

unrequited wrote:
It can go as fast as you can both get to your respective ffl (gun shops), probably $20-$60 on each end for transfer costs, and however long for shipping.

I'm not sure exactly if you need to be insta-checked on both ends, but call up a couple shops around your area that you'd receive the gun at, and I'm sure they'll have all the answers for you.

IIRC, you only need one FFL...on the buyers end

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

khmer_gentleman wrote:
well i work in MD, so VA isnt too far. could i just go to a ffl in VA and get it done there?

Nope, your residence state FFL must do the transfer and NICS check.

If it is a handgun, do NOT do a face to face in VA. Have him ship it to your PA FFL.

It's not worth it to go around the system.

And do price check the transfer charges. They vary widely--$20 to $75.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Oh good grief. Here we go :)

HANDGUN:
MUST go to your PA FFL.
It does NOT need to be shipped FROM an FFL in VA per fed law. Owner can ship direct to your PA FFL via common carrier (UPS/Fed-Ex, ETC) Most common carriers have a "express" or "Overnight" delivery internal rule for shipping HANDGUNS. So the cost of shipping will be high for this mode of transfer. IF the seller takes HANDGUN to a VA FFL to ship to your PA FFL the FFL can ship via the USPS. (non licensees can not ship handguns through USPS) This shipping, say Reg Mail or Pri Mail W/insurance and signature will be about half of the common carrier "express" shipping/insurance.

You can NOT purchase a handgun out of state. IE: Go to VA and transfer/buy from VA FFL. Well, Actually you can buy it there but the HANDGUN would still need shipped to your PA FFL for transfer to you.
RIFLE:
States vary on state laws so check VA out first.
Otherwise, per fed law:
RIFLE can be shipped direct to your PA FFL via any carrier including USPS.
Or can be shipped FFL to FFL but this is unnecessary unless seller is not comfortable shipping the RIFLE. There is no protection afforded by shipping FFL to FFL.

You can go to VA and have rifle transfered to you in person via the VA FFL.
IANAL but I am an FFL and deal with shipping daily.

zoom6zoom

imported post

Also make sure the receiving FFL will accept shipments from non-FFL's. Some won't.

It can actually be less of a hassle and less expensive to have an FFL ship it for you for several reasons:
1: as mentioned, some FFL's don't like to accept non-FFL shipments.
2. If you ship it, you must ship UPS or FedEx overnight, $$$$. An FFL can ship it insured priority mail for you. A handgun with insurance will usually run about $15 postage, plus the FFL transfer fee on your end.

Also, you can't ship from "The UPS Store" or FedEx Kinko's" or the like. You have to go to one of their service centers to ship a firearm.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
Also make sure the receiving FFL will accept shipments from non-FFL's. Some won't.
True, good point. There are a few that will not (they are idiots) but most will. The ones that won't have some misconception that they are taking on a liability of some mythical sort by receiving a firearm from a non dealer. Of course it is bogus.

I recommend avoiding the ones that do not as they are likely misinformed about other things as well. And many simply do not want to do transfers and they use this as an excuse for their preference that you buy from them. Of course savy dealers do transfers and welcome the practice as it gets people in the door that will otherwise never see their store. Some are too stupid to think past their nose but I digress :)

2. If you ship it, you must ship UPS or FedEx overnight, $$$$. An FFL can ship it insured priority mail for you. A handgun with insurance will usually run about $15 postage, plus the FFL transfer fee on your end.
As I pointed out this ONLY applies to HANGUNS. And technically you can ship it ground per the law. Only UPS/Fed-EX policy prevents ground shipments of handguns.
If you ship a handgun via ground and it is stolen/lost/etc you will likely have no insurance recourse due to breaking the rules.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:
zoom6zoom wrote:
True, good point. There are a few that will not (they are idiots) but most will. The ones that won't have some misconception that they are taking on a liability of some mythical sort by receiving a firearm from a non dealer. Of course it is bogus.

I recommend avoiding the ones that do not as they are likely misinformed about other things as well. And many simply do not want to do transfers and they use this as an excuse for their preference that you buy from them. Of course savy dealers do transfers and welcome the practice as it gets people in the door that will otherwise never see their store. Some are too stupid to think past their nose but I digress :)
Yes, by now most FFLs have gotten the word. It's quite legal for a a non-FFL person to ship to a FFL. For a while it was fascinating to listen to uninformed FFLs just make up reasons why they couldn't accept such shipments. Old habits die hard. It's always the same: the old farts think because they have the power to say no, that it must be right.

zoom6zoom wrote:
As I pointed out this ONLY applies to HANGUNS. And technically you can ship it ground per the law. Only UPS/Fed-EX policy prevents ground shipments of handguns.
If you ship a handgun via ground and it is stolen/lost/etc you will likely have no insurance recourse due to breaking the rules.

No, I don't think this is correct, PP. I don't think a non-FFL can"technically...ship it ground per the law." It is, of course, contract carrier policy torequire that a handgun go via a certain level of service, viz, priority or overnite.

Butfederal law also says that the shipment of a handgun must be declared to the carrier as a firearm.

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by carrier?
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U. S. C. 922( a)( 2)( A) and 922( e), 27 CFR 178.31]

http://ww.gunbroker.com/Support/SupportFAQView.asp?FAQID=1118&NoCount=1

There is a way that some supposedly-savvy shippers get around thecarrier policy (they ignore the federal requirement) but it's not very good. I wouldn't do it. I think it's just a subterfuge. It's asking for trouble, even beyond the loss claim aspects.

TrueBrit

imported post

Forgive me for chipping in here, but is there not some kind of adjacent or contiguous State deal out there, that allows the purchase of guns in a state adjacent to ones home state? I could be dead wrong here, but I seem to recall seeing a map in a Walmart gun section that showed KY and its surrounding states. Or maybe this applies to long guns only? Anyone enlighten me?

TrueBrit.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

TrueBrit wrote:
Forgive me for chipping in here, but is there not some kind of adjacent or contiguous State deal out there, that allows the purchase of guns in a state adjacent to ones home state? I could be dead wrong here, but I seem to recall seeing a map in a Walmart gun section that showed KY and its surrounding states. Or maybe this applies to long guns only? Anyone enlighten me?
Long guns only for those kind of contiguity provisions.