• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

out of state buyer

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

HankT wrote:
Yes, by now most FFLs have gotten the word. It's quite legal for a a non-FFL person to ship to a FFL
Always has been. I don't know where these myths come from.
I do know that of the idiots that do not accept guns from private party (interstate) that it is about 50-50 split between those that think they can't by law and those that know it is legal but don't do it out of some misconception that they are protecting themselves from some liability.

Old habits die hard. It's always the same: the old farts think because they have the power to say no, that it must be right.
Yep. The other biggest annoyance I have with these "dealers" is the blue or red ink dorks.
I guess a long time ago, before the days of color copiers, some clever FFL decided he would only accept FFL copies (from other FFL's for transfer purposes) if they were signed in ink that was not black. Presumably to be able to detect a phony copy easier. Well, that myth lives on. It's really quite annoying. I don't care what color you use you need to look at the ink to see if it is actually ink.
Again, about a 50-50 split. Of the ink nazis half think it's an ATF reg (it is not). and half just make it their policy...

Personally I don't understand why we even have to exchange copies in the modern age. The ATF now allows fax and email copies but I say why bother? With EZ-Check it is pointless. I check every FFL copy I get against EZ-Check (per ATF recommendation) to make sure it's legit.
Why don't dealers just confirm with EZ-Check that a licencee is valid and their shipping address. The paper copy is redundant. Print the EZ-Check page.. But I digress...

While we're at it the myth that a non-licencee needs an FFL copy to ship to me is getting old. Non-licencees are not required an FFL copy to ship to an FFL. They only need verify the FFL thorugh EZ-Check or by calling ATF.
ATF actually recommends that FFL's do not send copies to non-licencees.

Alright alright, enough bitching:lol:

No, I don't think this is correct, PP. I don't think a non-FFL can "technically...ship it ground per the law."
Yes, they can. "legally"
You have to declare the item as a "firearm".
If the guy at the counter, or the UPS driver (on a pickup) doesn't know the policy, or care, they will process the shipment.

I get handguns through UPS ground all the time, sometimes from distributors :what:. (I guess they don't bother with the insurance)

Law says declare as firearm, what common carrier does after that is moot.

TrueBrit

imported post

HankT wrote:
TrueBrit wrote:
Forgive me for chipping in here, but is there not some kind of adjacent or contiguous State deal out there, that allows the purchase of guns in a state adjacent to ones home state? I could be dead wrong here, but I seem to recall seeing a map in a Walmart gun section that showed KY and its surrounding states. Or maybe this applies to long guns only? Anyone enlighten me?
Long guns only for those kind of contiguity provisions.

Thank you, Sir, I guess that would add up, since Walmart seem to only sell long guns around here. I imagine that they are trying to be helpful, hence the map.

TrueBrit.