• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need some help loading STANAG magazines

Particle

imported post

Hello folks. I'm relatively new here, and I've got a question.

I ordered and received some magazines for the Carbon 15 Type 21S that I ordered last Thursday. Since I had some time to kill, I thought that I would load the mags. I started to load one like I used to load the magazines for a glock 19, but I found that after one mag my fingers really hurt. The skin under my thumb was even coming away from my fingernail, which as you can imagine really stings. This is not going to make for a pleasant target shooting experience if I have to go through this torture every time I want to load magazines.

For those of you who are smart enough to load these things without hurting yourselves, I'd appreciate it if you can post some tips on doing so. Thank you!

Big Version on Click

kurtmax_0

imported post

I generally try not to use 'easy loaders'. I don't want to become dependent on them for loading my magazines. I used to use them, and when I forgot it one time, I had a hard time loading the mags by hand.

Since then I always load by hand.

Particle

imported post

Do you have some tips for hand loading, then? Do you do the slide-in or the push-down method, etc?

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Particle wrote:
Do you have some tips for hand loading, then? Do you do the slide-in or the push-down method, etc?

Definitely the push down method for those.

One hand retrieves cartridges (3-4 at a time) and holds them on the top round/feed lip of the mag. The other hand is holding magazine with thumb extended up to push the cartridges down.
Even in the years before my hands were calloused from gunsmithing this method was always pretty painless. Quick too.

Now, sten mags. :) those are gunna hurt no matter what :exclaim:

Particle

imported post

There was no trying about it--I did three magazines that way. It sucked, but it worked.