• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Living within 1000 feet of a school - potential problem?

AbNo

imported post

ptmmatssc's Fed Law vs State Law post brings up a good point.

If you live within 1000' of a school, can you own firearms?

Or, does the prohibition (there's THAT word again, as well...) not apply to private property?

xmirage2kx

imported post

IMNAL, but on your private property you are just fine. Now that doesn’t make it ok to stand in your front yard waving you gun like a lunatic, but proper responsible ownership is not a problem. Also it is ok to legally transport your gun past a school while heading to another legal place (like a shooting range, or even a friends house). All your local laws still apply, but transporting within 1000ft (local laws define legal transport) and owning on a private residence it legal. As for Fed law vs. state law the more restricting law is what is enforced, and if they contradict each other Fed law wins.

Edit (even though fed law wins, you may still end up fighting it in court to prove that point)

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

AbNo wrote:
ptmmatssc's Fed Law vs State Law post brings up a good point.

If you live within 1000' of a school, can you own firearms?

Or, does the prohibition (there's THAT word again, as well...) not apply to private property?
What research dod you do on this question before posing it here? it is well documented on teh web that (1) the Supreme Court strick down the federal school gun ban in Lopez, and (2) the federal ban has a 100% exemption for gun carry permit holders (note: BATFE takes the position that th eprmit must be issued by the state in which the school sits)

apjonas

imported post

Mike - May I suggest that you remove your post and do further research before you are set upon. Both parts of your response have serious deficiencies.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Well for one the CHP in Virginia is not as a practical matter a "100% exception" for the laws that apply around schools. While Lopez is reported to have disposed of the ban it is still enforced, and in many places it is still a local or state issue.

In short, Mikes answer need to be a little longer to properly address the OPs question.

Regards

apjonas

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
apjonas wrote:
Mike - May I suggest that you remove your post and do further research before you are set upon. Both parts of your response have serious deficiencies.
Explain.

Ok, ok.

1. The GFSZ law was reenacted post-Lopez supposedly repairing the deficiencies that led to SCOTUS drop kicking it. There has not be a new challenge, so it is the law.

2. As indicated in another thread, the "permit" exception only applies to the federal GFSZ. It has no effect on state or local law. In other words, if your state has its own GFSZlaw without a permit exception, the federal law doesn't help you. It does not "override" the local law.

I have yet to see a GFSZ (federal or state) that does not exempt private property that falls within the zone.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

apjonas wrote:
Ok, ok.

1. The GFSZ law was reenacted post-Lopez supposedly repairing the deficiencies that led to SCOTUS drop kicking it. There has not be a new challenge, so it is the law.
The reason there have been no challenges is because the federal government will not take charges under the GFSZA to trial - the Defendant merely has to raise Lopez to presumably quash the charge.

I imagine many Dfendants plea guilty to GFSZA violations to aoid trial on more onerous offenses.