• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reciprocity, OC, and such!

kurtmax_0

imported post

It's possible that I may be living in Knoxville during the summer, and had a question about the reciprocity law.

I currently live in Alabama, and I know we have a written agreement with Tennessee for reciprocity.

The only problem is, I'm 19. (Alabama issues pistol permits at 18) I've been going through the Tennessee laws and I cannot find anything in the reciprocity sections or elsewhere that would prohibit me from carrying openly or concealed. I wouldn't be working or living in Tennessee long enough to require me to get a Tennessee permit (which does say I need to be 21...).

I might just have to see a lawyer to be safe, but does anybody know anything about this?

I just found it rather odd that they didn't specify an age requirement in the reciprocity laws. All the other state's I've looked at specify 21.

Kingfish

imported post

Just read back through the statutes and I can't find anything. It is an interesting delima. I would say that you would be fine as when one is arrested you are arrested under a statute and there does not seem to be one for this issue.

Anybody have any relavant case law?

kurtmax_0

imported post

Well, I would hopefully not be doing anything to get the attention of the police anyways :p

I'm sure they would just ask for my permit, show them, and it'd be fine. Although, most of the permits the Sheriffs issue around here are printed on half sheets of 8.5x11 printer paper in Microsoft Word... so they might be a bit skeptical.

acrimsontide

imported post

Tennessee and Alabama do now have reciprocity laws. They do recognize each other's permit......however.... Tennessee has some restrictions on people who have Alabama permits and work in Tennessee.

This is the link to the Alabama AG's web page. You can scroll down and find Tennessee and also the links to the restrictions for workers.

http://www.ago.state.al.us/ag_items.cfm?Issue=64

UTOC-45-44

imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
It's possible that I may be living in Knoxville during the summer, and had a question about the reciprocity law.

I currently live in Alabama, and I know we have a written agreement with Tennessee for reciprocity.

The only problem is, I'm 19. (Alabama issues pistol permits at 18) I've been going through the Tennessee laws and I cannot find anything in the reciprocity sections or elsewhere that would prohibit me from carrying openly or concealed. I wouldn't be working or living in Tennessee long enough to require me to get a Tennessee permit (which does say I need to be 21...).

I might just have to see a lawyer to be safe, but does anybody know anything about this?

I just found it rather odd that they didn't specify an age requirement in the reciprocity laws. All the other state's I've looked at specify 21.

I know that this is NOT related to KY or AL. BUT here in Utah we accept ALL CFP no matter how young.

As an example. There is...was rather a Guy at the place that I work at that was from Wyoming and is currently working in SLC,UT. He has a valid WY Permit and he got it when he was 18 and is now 19. I was also ???confused??? about this so I talked to the Chairman of the Board @ BCI here in Utah, Clark Aposhian, and he stated that ALL PERMITS are valid no matter the age.

I would suggest to contact the Bureau of Criminal Investigation or Agency that "approves" the Permits.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:

I know that this is NOT related to KY or AL. BUT here in Utah we accept ALL CFP no matter how young.

As an example. There is...was rather a Guy at the place that I work at that was from Wyoming and is currently working in SLC,UT. He has a valid WY Permit and he got it when he was 18 and is now 19. I was also ???confused??? about this so I talked to the Chairman of the Board @ BCI here in Utah, Clark Aposhian, and he stated that ALL PERMITS are valid no matter the age.

I would suggest to contact the Bureau of Criminal Investigation or Agency that "approves" the Permits.