• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NoVA (Northern Virginia) - OC reports

sjhipple

imported post

unrequited wrote:
Be very careful to give off a "good" vibe... recent 7-11 robbery puts us in a whole new light and I'm sure word's going around their internal communication chain to keep on the look out too:

http://www.alextimes.com/article.asp?article=7259&paper=1&cat=155
Stories like this one make it that much more important to show that there are good, law-abiding people who carry.

AbNo

imported post

Popeye's in Centreville(?) in, made my order, and left.

I got a nasty look from some guy that looked like a manager that would never climb higher in life than managing fast food, but judging by how the workers reacted when he walked by, I got the feeling he gave everyone that look.

Mmm, spicy chicken. :celebrate

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

9/1 - Springfield Mall
-- JC Penney - tried on lots of clothes and talked to many salespeople. No issues at all.
-- PayLess Shoes (manchild is now outfitted for school) , no reaction
-- Coming down the escalator, back in JCP, on our way out, a couple in front of me gave me several disgusted looks. They were too far away even for a nod and a "good day", so no discussions.

Catherine's (plus size clothes) - once again I was appalled by their attitude toward someone who wanted to spend money - it was my last time in there. They've never had an issue with my sidearm, but their sales staff has ticked me off over other things.

Then down to Dawsons, where I found two magazines for my Bersa 9mm (W00T!) and spousal unit bought a 2-shot 410/45 for a backup gun.

I think we need a bigger gun safe.

Kendo_Bunny

imported post

Tess- I've had that experience at Catherine's before, and I wasn't even armed. The one in Manassas is a little nicer, but you get much friendlier sales people at Layne Bryant.

Okay, back to the issue at hand. Just 53 more days until I can OC around NoVA, Manassas-Gainesville-Haymarket area.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Another pleasant OC encounter today in a 7-Eleven. Just as I was getting in the car to leave, a customer who had been in line with me drove up to me and asked what a citizen had to do in order to be able to carry a sidearm. It was a friendly inquiry. He was really surprised when I told him. We chatted for about ten minutes.

swatpro911

imported post

Fox wrote:
Over the past month I've begun open carrying as it's just too hot to carry concealed. To reduce any problems that might occur while doing so this far north, legal or otherwise I tend to dress better while doing so.

Over the month I've patronized the following establishments with absolutely no problems or questions raised.

Home Depot
Shoppers Food
Jerry's Subs & Pizza
Microcenter
7-11
Noodles & Company

The 7-11 was the only one I felt a little uneasy about, but then, who doesn't feel uneasy going into a 7-11?
It was late at night, I was drowsy and had to go to a movie. I decided to stop in to pick up one of those 5-hour energy drinks. As I pulled up the only available parking spot was right next to a George Mason University patrol car. I shrugged and pulled up. I noticed the officer was sitting in the drivers seat as I turned off my car, got out and went in the store. I should have put two and two together but it hadn't struck me that if all the parking spots were full there would be a lot of people in the 7-11. Got in line behind something like 8 people. Few others roaming the tiny store. Paid, thanked the clerk, told him to have a nice weekend, and exited. The GMU LEO was outside his car infront of the vehicle on the sidewalk, talking into his radio and looking at me as I exited. I glanced at him while I walked to my car, got in and drove off.
If you go to a 7-11 after dark, make eye contac with the cashier and smile. break the eye contact and go about your business and buy the item and during checkout u may say something fun related and when u leave u may say "aight have a good one" smile a little. Criminals dont smile they always have "screw face" just for u to know

FogRider

imported post

swatpro911 wrote:
Fox wrote:
Over the past month I've begun open carrying as it's just too hot to carry concealed. To reduce any problems that might occur while doing so this far north, legal or otherwise I tend to dress better while doing so.

Over the month I've patronized the following establishments with absolutely no problems or questions raised.

Home Depot
Shoppers Food
Jerry's Subs & Pizza
Microcenter
7-11
Noodles & Company

The 7-11 was the only one I felt a little uneasy about, but then, who doesn't feel uneasy going into a 7-11?
It was late at night, I was drowsy and had to go to a movie. I decided to stop in to pick up one of those 5-hour energy drinks. As I pulled up the only available parking spot was right next to a George Mason University patrol car. I shrugged and pulled up. I noticed the officer was sitting in the drivers seat as I turned off my car, got out and went in the store. I should have put two and two together but it hadn't struck me that if all the parking spots were full there would be a lot of people in the 7-11. Got in line behind something like 8 people. Few others roaming the tiny store. Paid, thanked the clerk, told him to have a nice weekend, and exited. The GMU LEO was outside his car infront of the vehicle on the sidewalk, talking into his radio and looking at me as I exited. I glanced at him while I walked to my car, got in and drove off.
If you go to a 7-11 after dark, make eye contac with the cashier and smile. break the eye contact and go about your business and buy the item and during checkout u may say something fun related and when u leave u may say "aight have a good one" smile a little. Criminals dont smile they always have "screw face" just for u to know
Easy enough for me. Got a kinda grim look on my face most of the time, but thats just my face. Say something to me and I perk right up and am relatively pleasant.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Past weekend in 7-11, two FCPD there. Got my two bottles of soda, my strong side was facing them and I honestly don't even think they noticed. Walked home peacefully.

Yesterday OC'ed with my daughter in Springfield Mall. Non event all around.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

9/16 - Fisher Hardware - They're so used to seeing us OC in there I think they'd tell anyone who complained to go find another store.

Staples - US1 in the Mt Vernon Plaza (I think that's it - it's the Home Depot plaza). Not even any second glances

bohdi

imported post

Sunoco in Manassas of PWC PKWY, cheapest gas. Had a young man give me a bunch of long stares and inform his parents that I was carrying - obvious by gesturing and stares - but nothing other than that.