• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NoVA (Northern Virginia) - OC reports

mk4

^^^
well then, so be it. guess we'll just hafta agree to disagree.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
And about as dangerous to them as a wet kitten.
have you ever soaked a cat in water? they are not so cute an cuddly at that point......... LOL

MadCat.jpg

Tess

Founder's Club Member
No thank you.

A number of clerks and even a restaurant manager have done the same over the years. It is meant in fun, the playful tone and smile on their face proves it. My reply is always lighthearted, even to the two times I've raised my own hands in reply.

Anybody with a lick of observation ability can tell its not a serious situation, meaning if they can see it happen, they can see its not real. Barring a someone with a mental challenge like a Down Syndrome child or something.

It is not too unlike holstering up from the trunk of your car in public. "OOH! He's got a gun!" Yeah, right. By the time anybody notices the gun in your hand for the 1.6 seconds it travels from the trunk to the holster, and starts to react, the gun is holstered. Its over before anybody has any time to react. And, its too obvious what was occurring. Any reaction sustained after that is not a reaction, its deliberate.

Similar for the playfulness. Anybody who calls the cops after seeing that is deliberately distorting the event in order to cause trouble. They know dammed good and well its not real, not serious.

So, no. I'm not going to go around and get all serious, and embarrass people who are just being playful by rejecting their overture. I'm going to keep right on playing along. And, here's the best reason:

IT WORKS.

The play-ers come to realize you're just a regular guy with a sense of humor. And about as dangerous to them as a wet kitten. These same people often start asking questions about armed self-defense and the law, giving me an opening to promote.

I respect your right to your opinion, but I also note that the Tony's incident, the Burke Lake Park incident, and others have clearly shown how few people have a lick of observation ability.

And for the record - Down Syndrome does not necessarily mean mental challenges that prevent normal functioning.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I respect your right to your opinion, but I also note that the Tony's incident, the Burke Lake Park incident, and others have clearly shown how few people have a lick of observation ability.

And for the record - Down Syndrome does not necessarily mean mental challenges that prevent normal functioning.

Thanks for the info about Down Syndrome. This I did not know. The only people who I've met with DS were all emotionally challenged, meaning they'd get upset about things and/or more upset than "normal" people.

Lets do recall that Burke Lake Park was for mere open carry. Reported by someone who really just didn't know OC is legal.

And, the Tony's Incident was about mere open carry. Reported by someone completely hostile to lawfully armed citizens.

Neither were about someone witnessing a playful gesture.

So, if the concern is "having ten squad cars respond" because of a concerned citizen, lets do differentiate and recognize that a concerned citizen is one who is calling about mere open carry, not the playful gesture. And, if he's concerned about mere open carry, he's gonna call whether he sees a playful gesture or not. Which is the risk VA OCers have everyday, and has nothing to do with playful gestures. As I mentioned earlier, nobody who can observe the playful gesture is going to miss that it is a playful gesture and call the cops because they mistake it for a real robbery or something. If they call the cops, its going to be because they don't know OC is legal, or hate guns, which are both entirely different matters, and as I mentioned, something we risk every time we OC.

One might say, "Oh, but the playful gesture calls attention to the gun that the concerned citizen might have never noticed without the playful gesture." Except, a big reason I OC is so that people do see the gun. I want people to see the gun. I want them to know the right exists and can be exercised.

Last edited:

vt800c

links please?

the Tony's incident, the Burke Lake Park incident.
Some uf us might not know what they are.

Ok..I don't know what they are!

and as I live near burke lake, and like Tony's pizzas..I might be a bit more courious than many.

Riana

Whoever decided that it's OK to let your 11-13 year old kids run around McDonald's unsupervised needs a serious talking to. :cuss:

This afternoon, I went over to the McDonald's on Elden Street. I waited patiently in line while the poor cashier behind the counter was badgered by a group of boys doing their darndest to confuse the guy (ordering cheeseburgers with no cheese and extra ketchup, etc.). The boys finished an actual order, and moved away from the counter - I moved up to place my order. I was about half-way through my order when the boys came up again. They came to a screeching (literally - at least one of them screeched) halt when they saw the 1911 on my hip, and immediately started peppering me with questions and comments:

"Is that real?" (Answer: yes)

"I guess I'm your friend now." (What???)

"Can I touch it?" (Answer: emphatically NO)

Then one of the boys looked at me and said, "Can you cover that up? I don't feel safe." (By the way, this was the same boy who asked if he could touch it, so admittedly, I didn't take this statement too seriously).

I looked him in the eye, and said, "It's perfectly safe where it is, and there's no reason to cover it up." The boys then all left the counter (much to the relief of the cashier), and I finished placing my order. I grabbed my drink and sat at a table to wait for my order. I got lots of smiles and nods from folks, and one compliment on the gun.

Had this been an adult, I might have had an educational conversation with him, but this kid was just being obnoxious. But I kept a smile on my face the whole time.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Two positive encounters in one visit to the Kingstowne WalMart recently.

1. A boy, perhaps 8-9 years old, just up and asked me if the gun was for self-defense. Not, "are you a police officer?". We had a short chat. No parents in view. I guess my Eroll Flynn looks make people feel safe around me. :)

2. Perhaps ten minutes later an adult fella commented in a positive way about the OC of a defensive sidearm. We chatted for a bit.

And, then just for the dissenters, today at a fast food restaurant, a counter clerk who knows me as a customer pulled the playful "raised hands" gesture, promising speedy, fresh coffee if I recall. :)

Riana

I see where you made the connection as Errol Flynn would have been 103 years old on June 20th. :lol:

Ouch.

Learned that from his 'safety' minded teacher, what do you want to bet.

When I discussed it with hubby, we both came to the conclusion it was either a teacher or a parent. It sure didn't sound like something a 12-year-old would spout on his own.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

Perspicacious readers will remember Grape is reputed to have chaired the Committee for the Formulation for Dirt.

It occurs to me that the boy's touch question might be real--genuine curiosity. Recall that kids, are taught "Don't touch! Tell an adult!" So, I'm thinking you would have a variation of the forbidden fruit effect--just makes some want to touch one even more, making the curiosity level higher.

I wonder if there is a way to capitalize on such an encounter in the direction of de-mystifying guns a little bit for the next kid who asks. Ideas anybody?

No open carry today. Yet.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Perspicacious readers will remember Grape is reputed to have chaired the Committee for the Formulation for Dirt.
--snip--

Nicely played sir, but I was only the senior advisory member.

Interestingly enough, it was determined that a body mass formulation of 57% - 62% H2O when properly combined with refined grit produced very stable OC2 with a half life exceeding most other combinations. We call it D.I.R.T. = direct internal ratio tendency. When youth is added too soon, one gets D.I.R.T.Y. Note that sand may be substituted, but real grit is preferred as predicted behavior/response is more consistent thereby. Also do not substitute C2H6O for natural H2O as the requisite elements (C & O) are in reversed in order and when combinated with the six parts of pure H[strike]ell[/strike] can produce catastrophic results.

It has been said that Mr. Flynn was an outstanding example of someone who knew how to formulate and utilize D.I.R.T. to maximize it's return benefits. While he did include Y in some of his experiments, it was a desired, not obligatory, procedure. Hollywood did not make him what he was - he made Hollywood what he was.

You should live so long and prosper as much if you can control your D.I.R.T.
:lol:

Last edited:

hgreen

Spotted another OCer on Rt 50 by Lowes today. Was OCing in my car on the way to Staples. Uneventful trip to Staples, no questions from sheeple.
2012-07-22_15-11-07_68.jpg

vt800c

dress for the slide..not the ride.

Spotted another OCer on Rt 50 by Lowes today. Was OCing in my car on the way to Staples. Uneventful trip to Staples, no questions from sheeple.
View attachment 8899

A full-face helment with shorts and a t-shirt? dude, roadrash HURTS!

But I do find when I open carry while riding...people seem to give me some 'space'.

Last edited: