Page 194 of 229 FirstFirst ... 94144184192193194195196204 ... LastLast
Results 4,826 to 4,850 of 5716

Thread: VA OC - NoVA (Northern Virginia)

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Ft Belvoir Credit Union main office in Woodbridge. Passed by the greeter at the front desk, then stood in line for about 5 minutes. Past the greeter behind the desk again on the way out; both times he greeted me pleasantly and no issues, as usual.

Cowles Ford. I've carried in here a lot. Didn't help me get the service they advertise but didn't have available today, but ....

Sams Club for gas ($3.19/gal!)

Jiffy Lube on US1 near Engleside Plaza for the work Cowles couldn't do because their "fast lane" isn't. I've been in that Jiffy Lube so often today's greeting was - "A new vehicle!" ... The manager asked a few questions, simply in pleasant conversation.

Pulled up home yesterday to find a guy selling alarms door to door. Hopped out of the car in my usual mode of carry. He glances, we have a conversation about said alarms, he glances again a few different times, and then the "is that a gun" conversation began.

Turns out he was from Utah and had never seen anyone open carrying. Had a nice discussion of the pros and cons of open vs concealed, why carry at all, some general firearms conversation. He has very limited firearm experience so I suggested to him to come join this forum, consider proshooters class, and hit the local range. Hopefully he will show up.

Blade

Went out on our daily walk.

Went to a local Walgreens, and our Farmers market. No problems, got our veggies for dinner tonight. Some looks as usual but no comments.

Farmers market was filled with moms and kids.

If you see us out and about please feel free to say hi.
    "Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves."
    Abraham Lincoln

Leaving breakfast today (Ashburn IHOP) a group a old women behind me were talking about open carry. One of them dropped a F bomb talking about carrying in restaurant full of kids. So protecting the kids and everyone else in the restaurant = bad, cursing = good? Silly antis I was walking away from them so the voice recorder did not do a good job of picking it up or I would have posted the audio.
    "Capitalism and communism stand at opposite poles. Their essential difference is this: The communist, seeing the rich man and his fine home, says: 'No man should have so much.' The capitalist, seeing the same thing, says: 'All men should have as much.'"- Phelps Adams

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokie View Post
    Leaving breakfast today (Ashburn IHOP) a group a old women behind me were talking about open carry. One of them dropped a F bomb talking about carrying in restaurant full of kids. So protecting the kids and everyone else in the restaurant = bad, cursing = good? Silly antis I was walking away from them so the voice recorder did not do a good job of picking it up or I would have posted the audio.
    Guess they must really go bonkers when a gaggle of police stop in for a bite.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    Guess they must really go bonkers when a gaggle of police stop in for a bite.
    For them to go bonkers is like the teleworker who commutes four steps from bedroom to home office--a very short trip. Which is just another way of saying, they are already bonkers.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. (Because that is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--for each other and everybody else--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.)

Equality and consent of the governed: We're all equal. How can another legitimately govern me without my express consent?

I OC'd Saturday at Home Depot in Springfield and Giant on Burke Rd. in Burke.
    Last edited by VApatriot; 07-02-2012 at 07:02 AM.

CVS OC in Herndon

Went out to CVS in Herndon this last Saturday. I had to get one thing husband wanted some soda, we don't keep any in the house. =) So I decided to pop into the CVS while out running errands.

Had a pleasant conversation with a kid at the register. He could not have been more than 16/17, looked like he was 14. He then cranes his neck over to my strong arm side, and says "ohh you have a gun, is it real?". To which I reply, yes it is.

He asks "do you shoot it a lot?". I say why yes I do all the time. His eyes widen he says, "at people?". I laugh and say no sweetie. I go to the range to shoot and practice. He says "ohh is it just for fun?" I say no sir, it is for my and my families protection. He laughs a little nervously and says ohh ok, and I say have a good day.

I could not help laughing, cause it was such a cute innocent question "at people?".
    Abraham Lincoln

Kids and I out on our daily walk, Pictures

Just thought I would post a picture of kids and I out on my daily walk/run from this morning. Nothing eventful happened waved to another neighbor next door, took pics and headed out for our outing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7036343.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	8761

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7036346.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	8762
    Abraham Lincoln

Anyone have any issues with the power being out?

I didn't carry anywhere, and I wan't nervous..but I was VERY ALERT until a few things settled down. I know without power, alot of alarm systems were down, and 911 was not available.

nothing happened...but I made sure my guns were oiled and my ammo stayed dry.
    I sell ObamaBlades: Single-edged razors you can use to either remove the bumper sticker off your car, or slash your wrists..whichever works best for you.

Firehouse Subs in Kingstown. Nothing to report, as it should be.

Carl

Had a good chat with another civilian in Chipotle in Manassas today. He claimed it was the first time he ever saw someone "packing heat". All was good though. Had a small friendly chat about open carry. Even put in a plug about ocdo.

I also learned about my new recorder. Stupid me forgot to push the "hold" button and it stopped recording when I sat down at my table. Doh!! Well Better learned in that situation than another. I miss my old Sony recorder. I shouldn't have sat on it. Haha

Nothing major to report. Only OCd at two places today. Went to my Starbucks on Ox Road to work for a few hours this morning and again this afternoon. No problems but I think I caught a few ppl staring. Made a stop at the Giant in the same shopping center on Ox Road. No issues there either. I think the staff at both locations are used to seeing me OCing at both places.

==========================================
    NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
    Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
    PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

Friday was a day of running errands.

Oc'd first to Ft Belvoir Credit Union main office in Woodbridge. As before, no issues. This time I had to speak with customer service agents, wait in the lobby, go try the reactivated ATM card, and then return to the lobby because the "fix" didn't work right away. I noted that a couple of customers saw the sidearm, but no comments.

Then to All Shooters Tactical where (unlike Sharpshooters) they let me carry in their store. Bought some noise-cancelling headphones I'd been wanting, and had pleasant conversation with both the staff and a customer who knows about OCDO but hadn't been here. I encouraged him, and provided open carry cards and VCDL information. He mentioned the issue of being a young black man with a gun, so I encouraged him to look up Kenn Blanchard and let him know about others who are helping the cause in that area.

Then to Springfield - across from Springfield not-so-much-a-Mall. HHGregg employees noted but had no issues, as previously.

Had a nice conversation with the clerk at Bed Bath & Beyond; he was pleased to see someone carrying for personal protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Tess View Post

across from Springfield not-so-much-a-Mall.

This made me chuckle. It is just about a vacant hole at this point huh

==========================================
    NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
    Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
    PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

Founder's Club Member
    This little bit of fun occurred last week when I was OCing while grocery shopping. A cashier who recognizes me playfully raised his hands in the classic hold-up gesture when I got to his register. I immediately raised my hands, too, while looking about, and then said to him playfully, "Don't do that. You make me think there's somebody with a gun around here."
    Last edited by Citizen; 07-15-2012 at 04:47 PM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. (Because that is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--for each other and everybody else--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.)

Equality and consent of the governed: We're all equal. How can another legitimately govern me without my express consent?

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    This little bit of fun occurred last week when I was OCing while grocery shopping. A cashier who recognizes me playfully raised his hands in the classic hold-up gesture when I got to his register. I immediately raised my hands, too, while looking about, and then said to him playfully, "Don't do that. You make me think there's somebody with a gun around here."
    this might be silly, but i wonder if someone that didn't know any better, would have thought you were really robbing them
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    this might be silly, but i wonder if someone that didn't know any better, would have thought you were really robbing them
    not silly at all.
    i'd be quite upset if a cashier did that. nothing "playful" about that, at least out in public. nothing good can come from it. next thing you know, the 911 call of an unknowing concerned citizen has 10 squad cars rolling up with lights and sirens and LEOs with guns drawn.

Citizen... please, if you haven't already, strongly counsel the playful cashier.
    “For life, liberty and Little Lizzie.” - John Connor (2005)

Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    Had similar happen to me at a local McDonalds. Did not see the humor in it - requested the manager (he's very pro) who also did not think it was funny. We had a "prayer meeting" - I had to talk him out of firing the young lady. She learned a valuable lesson I think.

We had a small crowd listening to why LAC with guns is legal and good, but playing is not acceptable.
    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time.

Yata hey

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mk4 View Post
    not silly at all.
    i'd be quite upset if a cashier did that. nothing "playful" about that, at least out in public. nothing good can come from it. next thing you know, the 911 call of an unknowing concerned citizen has 10 squad cars rolling up with lights and sirens and LEOs with guns drawn.

Citizen... please, if you haven't already, strongly counsel the playful cashier.
    No thank you.

A number of clerks and even a restaurant manager have done the same over the years. It is meant in fun, the playful tone and smile on their face proves it. My reply is always lighthearted, even to the two times I've raised my own hands in reply.

Anybody with a lick of observation ability can tell its not a serious situation, meaning if they can see it happen, they can see its not real. Barring a someone with a mental challenge like a Down Syndrome child or something.

It is not too unlike holstering up from the trunk of your car in public. "OOH! He's got a gun!" Yeah, right. By the time anybody notices the gun in your hand for the 1.6 seconds it travels from the trunk to the holster, and starts to react, the gun is holstered. Its over before anybody has any time to react. And, its too obvious what was occurring. Any reaction sustained after that is not a reaction, its deliberate.

Similar for the playfulness. Anybody who calls the cops after seeing that is deliberately distorting the event in order to cause trouble. They know dammed good and well its not real, not serious.

So, no. I'm not going to go around and get all serious, and embarrass people who are just being playful by rejecting their overture. I'm going to keep right on playing along. And, here's the best reason:

IT WORKS.

The play-ers come to realize you're just a regular guy with a sense of humor. And about as dangerous to them as a wet kitten. These same people often start asking questions about armed self-defense and the law, giving me an opening to promote.
    Last edited by Citizen; 07-16-2012 at 09:01 PM.

^^^
    well then, so be it. guess we'll just hafta agree to disagree.
    “For life, liberty and Little Lizzie.” - John Connor (2005)

Quote Originally Posted by citizen View Post
    barring a someone with a mental challenge like hoplophobia and a political agenda...
    fify
    Last edited by architect; 07-17-2012 at 06:32 AM.

[QUOTE=Citizen;1789113]And about as dangerous to them as a wet kitten.[QUOTE]

have you ever soaked a cat in water? they are not so cute an cuddly at that point......... LOL

[QUOTE=cptstoney;1789452][QUOTE=Citizen;1789113]And about as dangerous to them as a wet kitten.

have you ever soaked a cat in water? they are not so cute an cuddly at that point......... LOL
    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time.

Yata hey

No thank you.

A number of clerks and even a restaurant manager have done the same over the years. It is meant in fun, the playful tone and smile on their face proves it. My reply is always lighthearted, even to the two times I've raised my own hands in reply.

Anybody with a lick of observation ability can tell its not a serious situation, meaning if they can see it happen, they can see its not real. Barring a someone with a mental challenge like a Down Syndrome child or something.

It is not too unlike holstering up from the trunk of your car in public. "OOH! He's got a gun!" Yeah, right. By the time anybody notices the gun in your hand for the 1.6 seconds it travels from the trunk to the holster, and starts to react, the gun is holstered. Its over before anybody has any time to react. And, its too obvious what was occurring. Any reaction sustained after that is not a reaction, its deliberate.

Similar for the playfulness. Anybody who calls the cops after seeing that is deliberately distorting the event in order to cause trouble. They know dammed good and well its not real, not serious.

So, no. I'm not going to go around and get all serious, and embarrass people who are just being playful by rejecting their overture. I'm going to keep right on playing along. And, here's the best reason:

IT WORKS.

The play-ers come to realize you're just a regular guy with a sense of humor. And about as dangerous to them as a wet kitten. These same people often start asking questions about armed self-defense and the law, giving me an opening to promote.

I respect your right to your opinion, but I also note that the Tony's incident, the Burke Lake Park incident, and others have clearly shown how few people have a lick of observation ability.

And for the record - Down Syndrome does not necessarily mean mental challenges that prevent normal functioning.

Page 194 of 229 FirstFirst ... 94144184192193194195196204 ... LastLast