• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NoVA (Northern Virginia) - OC reports

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I OC'd all over today:
- lunch with a friend at Olive Garden in Falls Church
- Yesterday's Rose in Fairfax
- 7-11 near the old Herndon Police Station to buy my son and his friend Slurpees
- Target in Sterling
- Five Below in Sterling

No issues in any of those places.

Then I took my son (and his friend) to a birthday party at Rebounderz in Sterling. No one commented, though I did see a few employees notice my sidearm.

While we were driving home after the party, I mentioned to my son that no one had noticed. He told me that one of his friends (not the one who rode with us), had indeed noticed, and they had a conversation.

Friend: "Why does your mom have a gun?"
My son: "She's an NRA instructor. I wasn't kidding when I told you that." (I guess I've been a topic of conversation :rolleyes:)
Friend: "But still..."
My son: "Well, why DOESN'T your mom carry one?"
Friend: "Well... uh..."

I didn't get the rest of the conversation - I'll have to ask him when he's not so worn out.

And yes, he does know that the real answer for the first question is "For self-defense" or something similar - he was just exhausted. I admit, though, I like his return question. :cool:

Great answer! He did well.

BTW, if the Olive Garden you visited is the one in the Bailey's Crossroads area, that is not Falls Church. Falls Church is a very small city (2.2 square miles) who's eastern border terminates slightly west of Seven Corners (which is also not in Falls Church). The only reason I point this out is because as someone who grew up within the city limits of Falls Church, it was a bug in the craw of us locals when people who lived in places like Merrifield or Culmore or Pimmit Hills would say they lived in Falls Church when we know they did not. Kind like Falls Church High School... which is not a Falls Church school. The only high school in Falls Church is George Mason.

Oh well, no big deal.

Riana

You got taken... Slurpees were free at 7-11 yesterday (5-24-2012)
Perhaps, but they wanted the extra-large-jumbo Slurpees, not the itty-bitty free ones. :cool:

BTW, if the Olive Garden you visited is the one in the Bailey's Crossroads area, that is not Falls Church.
It was indeed that Olive Garden. I had a feeling it wasn't truly 'in' Falls Church, but that's their mailing address, so I went with it.

SouthernBoy

Perhaps, but they wanted the extra-large-jumbo Slurpees, not the itty-bitty free ones. :cool:

It was indeed that Olive Garden. I had a feeling it wasn't truly 'in' Falls Church, but that's their mailing address, so I went with it.

I hope you know I wasn't picking on you. It tends to be a bit of a sore spot with some of us who actually are from Falls Church... as within their corporate city limits. My first job out of high school was carrying mail. Even though Culmore and Jefferson Village and Annandale Road up to Gallows was definitely NOT Falls Church, they all had Falls Church mailing addresses. Hell, the Falls Church office I carried out of was in Fairfax (corner of Annandale Road and route 50).

architect

It tends to be a bit of a sore spot with some of us who actually are from Falls Church... as within their corporate city limits. My first job out of high school was carrying mail. Even though Culmore and Jefferson Village and Annandale Road up to Gallows was definitely NOT Falls Church, they all had Falls Church mailing addresses. Hell, the Falls Church office I carried out of was in Fairfax (corner of Annandale Road and route 50).

Those of us who still live along your postal route (back in the 30's was it? :) are proud to live (and carry) in Mosby, not the People's Democrat Republic of Falls Church! Now if we could just get rid of Moran....

SouthernBoy

Those of us who still live along your postal route (back in the 30's was it? :) are proud to live (and carry) in Mosby, not the People's Democrat Republic of Falls Church! Now if we could just get rid of Moran....

30's?? Now that's cruel. Yes, I worked out of the Mosby branch which was behind the GW Frozen Custard Stand (we called that stand Sponcello's). Moron (deliberate spelling) was our rep when we lived in Arlington and one of the reasons we escaped that enclave. You people really need to get rid of that nutcase.

Believe it or not, Falls Church (we called it Falls Gulch) use to be a great place to live.

OC_va_gal

Had a wonderful OC day. While not many or any reactions that I saw while doing most of my errands, but a woman I knew from where I worked pulled up in car a few spaces next to me while I was loading dog food into my trunk noticed my side arm and said "wouldn't want to mess with you outside of work" with a huge smile on her face and we ended up talking for a bit.

Another while I was in home depot of cascades the cashier said "oh my god!" (in total shock) "why....why what's with the gun?!". I politely turned around and said for self defense and it's open carry in Virginia and handed him an OC card from VCDL. He was very nice and said he was surprised to see a woman carry so nonchalantly. Told him that no one would like to draw attention to their firearm because it's not a accessory. Never comes un-holstered unless needed for self defense or at the range/home. He was very interested and recommended lessons/safety before picking one up. It was a very pleasent conversation. No one else in home depot noticed or cared, so far gun friendly :)

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I picked a handyman off craigslist earlier this week -- needed gutters cleaned, and can't get up on the ladder.

Kid came by, and I was of course open carrying, IWB. I don't know if he didn't notice or what, but he didn't say anything while he walked around and provided a quote.

Next day, when I met him as he started, I was wearing scrubs and a shoulder holster. His eyes got real wide, and he said "you're scaring me." I asked "Why" and he said "is that a gun"? Not wanting to spend a lot of time explaining (I was cooking), I just said "You have nothing to worry about unless you try to harm me or mine."

He continued on with the work, and we had a nice conversation after he finished about being the third brother in his family to own a handyman business, about any additional work I might need, about his Arabic-sounding name, and other items. He never asked about the firearm again, and I didn't want to push the issue. I'll probably hire him again, and I doubt he's afraid of me now.

007boarder

Although I have been lurking a long time I figured I would go ahead and join and post my recent encounter.

I typically conceal carry however will occasionally open carry depending on where I'm going, what I'm wearing, etc, and since my more recent purchase of a new carry handgun I tend to open carry a little more.

I frequent Starbucks and due to their continual criticism towards obeying state laws and allowing open carry I make a point to open carry there. When I arrived the other day I started my usual chit chat with the cashier who I know from my often visits and she told me how last time I left another patron who was drinking their drink in the store had commented on me carrying. Comments like "who was he?" "why was he carrying a gun" "if I would have seen him earlier I would have said something and said he needed to leave"

None struck me as odd as I have heard it before, but the best part was the responses the Starbucks and another patron responded with. Multiple employees stated they would have told her she needed to leave before me if she had started any confrontation. They questioned why she didn't support open carry and what she had to "fear" of me.

I never did see the person that started this due to her raising the questions after I left, however I think it was pretty awesome to hear the responses from not just from another bystander in starbucks, but also the Starbucks employees themselves.

Long read. :cuss: I know. :)

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Although I have been lurking a long time I figured I would go ahead and join and post my recent encounter.

I typically conceal carry however will occasionally open carry depending on where I'm going, what I'm wearing, etc, and since my more recent purchase of a new carry handgun I tend to open carry a little more.

I frequent Starbucks and due to their continual criticism towards obeying state laws and allowing open carry I make a point to open carry there. When I arrived the other day I started my usual chit chat with the cashier who I know from my often visits and she told me how last time I left another patron who was drinking their drink in the store had commented on me carrying. Comments like "who was he?" "why was he carrying a gun" "if I would have seen him earlier I would have said something and said he needed to leave"

None struck me as odd as I have heard it before, but the best part was the responses the Starbucks and another patron responded with. Multiple employees stated they would have told her she needed to leave before me if she had started any confrontation. They questioned why she didn't support open carry and what she had to "fear" of me.

I never did see the person that started this due to her raising the questions after I left, however I think it was pretty awesome to hear the responses from not just from another bystander in starbucks, but also the Starbucks employees themselves.

Welcome aboard 007boarder - responses like that are becoming more and more typical. We are making ever greater strides in normalizing the everyday practice of OCing. Besides it is fun, educational, and drives the antis over the hill.

Might suggest that you try and catch a local meet-n-greet. Always good to meet new people and develop new contacts..

007boarder

Welcome aboard 007boarder - responses like that are becoming more and more typical. We are making ever greater strides in normalizing the everyday practice of OCing. Besides it is fun, educational, and drives the antis over the hill.

Might suggest that you try and catch a local meet-n-greet. Always good to meet new people and develop new contacts..

Thanks. Will do! I'll keep my eyes open for any local meets I may be able to make it to.

Tess

Founder's Club Member

Welcome!

I'm reminded of the time several years ago when a group of us were having dinner in Amphora in Fairfax. One of the other patrons told a waiter she was very uncomfortable with all those people with guns, and he then said something like "well, you'd better hurry and finish, because they just sat down and will be here a while."

Needless to say, most of us went back there.

Steeler-gal

What does your DH own? ha ha ha

I keep forgetting to post this. I was at a Shell gas station the other day. There was a guy there doing demo of some wonder car wash product. I decided to check out his demo and was standing with my strong-side away from him. As he was explaining to me if I bought more bottles than any 1 person would ever need he'd throw in a pack of microfiber cloths for free. I commented that I love microfiber cloths and said something along the lines that they are great for gun cleaning. The man says "Yeah, they are! What kind does your husband own." I replied. None. I'm not married. THEY'RE mine." :eek: I then turned so he could see my M&P. He got all flustered and starts to say "Well, OK, cool. Uh... Cool. Uh... Cool." He eventually composed himself and finished his schpeal.
I was tickeled. :monkey

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I keep forgetting to post this. I was at a Shell gas station the other day. There was a guy there doing demo of some wonder car wash product. I decided to check out his demo and was standing with my strong-side away from him. As he was explaining to me if I bought more bottles than any 1 person would ever need he'd throw in a pack of microfiber cloths for free. I commented that I love microfiber cloths and said something along the lines that they are great for gun cleaning. The man says "Yeah, they are! What kind does your husband own." I replied. None. I'm not married. THEY'RE mine." :eek: I then turned so he could see my M&P. He got all flustered and starts to say "Well, OK, cool. Uh... Cool. Uh... Cool." He eventually composed himself and finished his schpeal.
I was tickeled. :monkey

Classic - he never saw it coming.

Nicely played.

SouthernBoy

Welcome!

I'm reminded of the time several years ago when a group of us were having dinner in Amphora in Fairfax. One of the other patrons told a waiter she was very uncomfortable with all those people with guns, and he then said something like "well, you'd better hurry and finish, because they just sat down and will be here a while."

Needless to say, most of us went back there.

I have to wonder..... bet she would go bonkers if a bunch of Fairfax LEO's arrived for lunch one day, what with all the gear they carry. Probably vapor lock right there on her table.

Steeler-gal

Had another fun night out with friends. Went to On The Border in Woodbridge without incident.
Headed over to Coldstone for dessert. When I went to pay for my ice cream the young lady asked me if I wanted to use my law enforcement discount. I said "I'd love to but I'm not law enforcement." :)
Oh, military?
No
Fireman?
No
Paramedic?
No

She finally stopped and just rung up my order. I don't know if she was trying to give me a discount cause I'm just that awesome or because I was OCing and she assumed I must be "Something" but I enjoyed the exchange anyway.

==========================================
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Looking for training by experienced staff?
We are the largest all female only firearms group on the East Coast offering firearms training courses and services provided by our experienced and certified female instructors.
http://www.shecanshoot.com/

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
Roadside OC BBQ Lunch in Sterling

166546_393192190730870_1886593044_n.jpg

Steeler-gal

Ed I do believe that day-glo yellow shirt of your can be seen from space :)

========================
NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
========================
Looking for training by experienced staff?
We are the largest all female only firearms group on the East Coast offering firearms training courses and services provided by our experienced and certified female instructors.
http://www.shecanshoot.com/

coltcarrier

Campaign Veteran
Leesburg Outlets, asked to leave by security

Started the afternoon in the food court, then shopped in several stores and was pushing the stroller with the smallest one when a flustered security guard walked up and said I had to leave, then asked if I was law enforcement, then again asked us to leave. We were done shopping anyway for that trip. First time there OC as we hadn't actually planned to be out anywhere this weekend meant I was not dressed for a concealed option as normal. The realy sad thing is that same security guard had walked by us three other times and had no reaction, she only acted when we were near the bathrooms away from everyone else... oh well. Some people are ignorant.

Several of the clerks and several patrons did drop short complements about the sidearm and there was no people running in terror... Man with family shopping while armed... say it isn't so!

007boarder

Started the afternoon in the food court, then shopped in several stores and was pushing the stroller with the smallest one when a flustered security guard walked up and said I had to leave, then asked if I was law enforcement, then again asked us to leave. We were done shopping anyway for that trip. First time there OC as we hadn't actually planned to be out anywhere this weekend meant I was not dressed for a concealed option as normal. The realy sad thing is that same security guard had walked by us three other times and had no reaction, she only acted when we were near the bathrooms away from everyone else... oh well. Some people are ignorant.

Several of the clerks and several patrons did drop short complements about the sidearm and there was no people running in terror... Man with family shopping while armed... say it isn't so!

Hm, sounds pretty lame IMO. I went to the panera in the outlet mall parking lot today. No one said anything or gave it much of a look. I should have strolled through the outlets to say hello. :eek:

Last edited:

007boarder

Went to Costco in Manassas earlier this week, OC'ing as usual of course, and as I was finishing up at a checkout line, the man behind me struck up a conversation. He carries, I didn't ask him if he was heeled at the moment, and we talked maybe two minutes as we started for the door. Very pleasant conversation.

Loaned my copy of this month's American Rifleman to a cashier at the Giant in Gainesville. I was helpful a little over a year ago with her buying a revolver... she got a Ruger GP100. Anyway, her husband expressed an interest in the Smith and Wesson "Governor" and that gun is reviewed in the current issue of AR.

:banana:
I'm one of the managers in Costco manassas. If you ever need anything feel free to stop in and ask for me.

-Curtis