• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NoVA (Northern Virginia) - OC reports

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
All the 'normal' places this past weekend -- Giant Food, Lowes, Harris-Teeter ... no problems anywhere.

Had to disarm this morning for a visit to the local Social Security office. Being a federal office, the gun-buster signs were very visible on the entrance door.

ufcfanvt

Been Far Too Long

I haven't been posting for some time, but I have been reading off and on. I moved to exclusively open carrying for a while :-D No negative reactions encountered. Actually, fewer questions in general than I remember having in years past.
I look forward to seeing you all again soon.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
All the 'normal' places this past weekend -- Giant Food, Lowes, Harris-Teeter ... no problems anywhere.

Had to disarm this morning for a visit to the local Social Security office. Being a federal office, the gun-buster signs were very visible on the entrance door.

Just out of curiosity. Could you have entered that facility with an empty holster?

blahpony

My car over-heated slightly today in Ashburn. I pulled over to the start of the left turn lane on Waxpool going to Loudoun County Parkway. I had the back of the car open (the engine is in the back of the car) and a Loudoun county sheriff pulled up behind me. I explained the issue and he asked if I could make it to right side of the road and the proper shoulder. He offered to stop traffic while I pulled over there. He got out his neon vest and cleared the road for me. I got to the other side and he pulled in next to me and asked if I needed anything else. I told him I was going to wait for the engine to cool. He said "Have a nice day" and I thanked him again. Then he drove off.

It was like the OC CZ P-07 wasn't even there. ;)

JohnM15A

With and without

I OC all the time I am out and about but this past 9 days or so two of my sisters visited me. One came from CA and the other from WY. We saw the sights in DC and MD so I had to disarm. I left my sidearm locked in a tethered locked case in the car trunk when parking in the Metro parking lot. The trip to MD I left my sidearm at home. Trips on the Metro going into DC and a trip driving to MD I was unarmed in the scary state of VA where guns are rampant and gun carrying legal owners shoot people randomly. In DC and MD I felt naked. Situational awareness in high gear but at the White House I was protected by the Secret Service. Their sniffer (a big fan and a dog on the other side) did not detect any GSR. We did take a road trip to SC and back where I CC a 380 the entire time. All in all a good time.

R027

OCed at a few places the past few weeks. Exxon, Panda Express, Qdoba, Hallmark, Safeway. No problems as usual. Saw another OCer this afternoon, young African American male at Target. Was sitting there eating, so no chance to talk.

bohdi

VDOT Leesburg Annex

So the guy at VDOT asked me to remove and take weapon off property, which I did. I wouldn't post this but the search function appears to be broke. I was confused at how it was possible to be unlawful to carry in or on VDOT property since it's a state facility, much like a state park. I didn't make a stink about it as I needed them to approve some permits lol, but they were kind enough to share with me their employee handbook. I have a suspicion that they are confused about what the law says vs what regulations apply to employee's of VDOT. Anyone else have an issue dealing with VDOT?

zoom6zoom

Pretty sure your VDOT guy was uninformed and projecting his own desires. They sure aren't on the list of prohibited places.

I'll add another merchant to the OC friendly list... Potomac Cobbler on Rt. 1 in Woodbridge. Have been in there a few times. And highly recommended if you need diabetic footwear or just want a really good fitting. Quick and reasonable repairs, too.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
So the guy at VDOT asked me to remove and take weapon off property, which I did. I wouldn't post this but the search function appears to be broke. I was confused at how it was possible to be unlawful to carry in or on VDOT property since it's a state facility, much like a state park. I didn't make a stink about it as I needed them to approve some permits lol, but they were kind enough to share with me their employee handbook. I have a suspicion that they are confused about what the law says vs what regulations apply to employee's of VDOT. Anyone else have an issue dealing with VDOT?

We OC regularly in VDOT facilities all over Virginia - would have called for a VDOT supervisor at that point.

I've been in 4 different ones including the main building in Richmond and security hasn't batted their eyelashes yet :)

bohdi

I figured as much. I did have two guys who were more senior, one may have been the supervisor who came and talked to me. I think it was the supervisor who approached me and asked me to disarm. If I didn't "need" something from them I would have pressed the issue. Since it's in their employee handbook and that was what they were going off, and I pointed that out, I was pretty certain they were misinformed and misunderstood what the rules were.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Spouse discovered another OC-friendly business on US1 in Hybla Valley. The VisionWorks store in the Mt Vernon Shopping Center (7700 block of Richmond Highway) is OC-friendly. The manager there said she has customers occasionally OC, and she supports it.

Liberty-or-Death

bohdi:
Email response from VDOT Communications Manager (header and closing snipped) was as follows:
... Thanks for the information. VDOT employees are prohibited from bringing firearms to the workplace, per the handbook the citizen was shown. However, VDOT facility visitors who are transacting public business may openly carry firearms in VDOT facilities and may conceal carry if they have an appropriate concealed carry permit. It sounds like the employee was under the impression that the handbook applies to the public. We will follow up with the appropriate office to make sure the difference is understood.

Thanks again for contacting us. ...

μολών λαβέ

Kamihoshi

Been awhile since I've posted. >.< Work has kept me from OCing unfortunately (home office job bleh).

BUT..

Ran errands the other day with the 1911 on the hip.

Jiffy Lube in Fairfax City
Walmart near Jermantown and Lee Hwy

As always, no issues, comments, or looks.

Cheers!

Last edited: