• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NoVA (Northern Virginia) - OC reports

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Ft Belvoir Credit Union main office in Woodbridge. Passed by the greeter at the front desk, then stood in line for about 5 minutes. Past the greeter behind the desk again on the way out; both times he greeted me pleasantly and no issues, as usual.

Cowles Ford. I've carried in here a lot. Didn't help me get the service they advertise but didn't have available today, but ....

Sams Club for gas ($3.19/gal!)

Jiffy Lube on US1 near Engleside Plaza for the work Cowles couldn't do because their "fast lane" isn't. I've been in that Jiffy Lube so often today's greeting was - "A new vehicle!" ... The manager asked a few questions, simply in pleasant conversation.

blade10

Pulled up home yesterday to find a guy selling alarms door to door. Hopped out of the car in my usual mode of carry. He glances, we have a conversation about said alarms, he glances again a few different times, and then the "is that a gun" conversation began.

Turns out he was from Utah and had never seen anyone open carrying. Had a nice discussion of the pros and cons of open vs concealed, why carry at all, some general firearms conversation. He has very limited firearm experience so I suggested to him to come join this forum, consider proshooters class, and hit the local range. Hopefully he will show up.

Blade

GlockMom

Went out on our daily walk.

Went to a local Walgreens, and our Farmers market. No problems, got our veggies for dinner tonight. Some looks as usual but no comments.

Farmers market was filled with moms and kids.

If you see us out and about please feel free to say hi.

Hokie

Lone Star Veteran
Leaving breakfast today (Ashburn IHOP) a group a old women behind me were talking about open carry. One of them dropped a F bomb talking about carrying in restaurant full of kids. So protecting the kids and everyone else in the restaurant = bad, cursing = good? Silly antis I was walking away from them so the voice recorder did not do a good job of picking it up or I would have posted the audio.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Leaving breakfast today (Ashburn IHOP) a group a old women behind me were talking about open carry. One of them dropped a F bomb talking about carrying in restaurant full of kids. So protecting the kids and everyone else in the restaurant = bad, cursing = good? Silly antis I was walking away from them so the voice recorder did not do a good job of picking it up or I would have posted the audio.

Guess they must really go bonkers when a gaggle of police stop in for a bite.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Guess they must really go bonkers when a gaggle of police stop in for a bite.

For them to go bonkers is like the teleworker who commutes four steps from bedroom to home office--a very short trip. Which is just another way of saying, they are already bonkers.

GlockMom

CVS OC in Herndon

Went out to CVS in Herndon this last Saturday. I had to get one thing husband wanted some soda, we don't keep any in the house. =) So I decided to pop into the CVS while out running errands.

Had a pleasant conversation with a kid at the register. He could not have been more than 16/17, looked like he was 14. He then cranes his neck over to my strong arm side, and says "ohh you have a gun, is it real?". To which I reply, yes it is.

He asks "do you shoot it a lot?". I say why yes I do all the time. His eyes widen he says, "at people?". I laugh and say no sweetie. I go to the range to shoot and practice. He says "ohh is it just for fun?" I say no sir, it is for my and my families protection. He laughs a little nervously and says ohh ok, and I say have a good day.

I could not help laughing, cause it was such a cute innocent question "at people?".

GlockMom

Kids and I out on our daily walk, Pictures

Just thought I would post a picture of kids and I out on my daily walk/run from this morning. Nothing eventful happened waved to another neighbor next door, took pics and headed out for our outing.

P7036343.jpg

P7036346.jpg

vt800c

Anyone have any issues with the power being out?

I didn't carry anywhere, and I wan't nervous..but I was VERY ALERT until a few things settled down. I know without power, alot of alarm systems were down, and 911 was not available.

nothing happened...but I made sure my guns were oiled and my ammo stayed dry.

007boarder

Had a good chat with another civilian in Chipotle in Manassas today. He claimed it was the first time he ever saw someone "packing heat". All was good though. Had a small friendly chat about open carry. Even put in a plug about ocdo. :)

I also learned about my new recorder. Stupid me forgot to push the "hold" button and it stopped recording when I sat down at my table. Doh!! Well Better learned in that situation than another. I miss my old Sony recorder. I shouldn't have sat on it. Haha

Steeler-gal

Nothing major to report. Only OCd at two places today. Went to my Starbucks on Ox Road to work for a few hours this morning and again this afternoon. No problems but I think I caught a few ppl staring. Made a stop at the Giant in the same shopping center on Ox Road. No issues there either. I think the staff at both locations are used to seeing me OCing at both places.

==========================================
NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Friday was a day of running errands.

Oc'd first to Ft Belvoir Credit Union main office in Woodbridge. As before, no issues. This time I had to speak with customer service agents, wait in the lobby, go try the reactivated ATM card, and then return to the lobby because the "fix" didn't work right away. I noted that a couple of customers saw the sidearm, but no comments.

Then to All Shooters Tactical where (unlike Sharpshooters) they let me carry in their store. Bought some noise-cancelling headphones I'd been wanting, and had pleasant conversation with both the staff and a customer who knows about OCDO but hadn't been here. I encouraged him, and provided open carry cards and VCDL information. He mentioned the issue of being a young black man with a gun, so I encouraged him to look up Kenn Blanchard and let him know about others who are helping the cause in that area.

Then to Springfield - across from Springfield not-so-much-a-Mall. HHGregg employees noted but had no issues, as previously.

Had a nice conversation with the clerk at Bed Bath & Beyond; he was pleased to see someone carrying for personal protection.

Steeler-gal

across from Springfield not-so-much-a-Mall.

This made me chuckle. It is just about a vacant hole at this point huh

==========================================
NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
This little bit of fun occurred last week when I was OCing while grocery shopping. A cashier who recognizes me playfully raised his hands in the classic hold-up gesture when I got to his register. I immediately raised my hands, too, while looking about, and then said to him playfully, "Don't do that. You make me think there's somebody with a gun around here." :D

Last edited:

papa bear

This little bit of fun occurred last week when I was OCing while grocery shopping. A cashier who recognizes me playfully raised his hands in the classic hold-up gesture when I got to his register. I immediately raised my hands, too, while looking about, and then said to him playfully, "Don't do that. You make me think there's somebody with a gun around here." :D

this might be silly, but i wonder if someone that didn't know any better, would have thought you were really robbing them

mk4

this might be silly, but i wonder if someone that didn't know any better, would have thought you were really robbing them

not silly at all.
i'd be quite upset if a cashier did that. nothing "playful" about that, at least out in public. nothing good can come from it. next thing you know, the 911 call of an unknowing concerned citizen has 10 squad cars rolling up with lights and sirens and LEOs with guns drawn.

Citizen... please, if you haven't already, strongly counsel the playful cashier.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Had similar happen to me at a local McDonalds. Did not see the humor in it - requested the manager (he's very pro) who also did not think it was funny. We had a "prayer meeting" - I had to talk him out of firing the young lady. She learned a valuable lesson I think.

We had a small crowd listening to why LAC with guns is legal and good, but playing is not acceptable.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
not silly at all.
i'd be quite upset if a cashier did that. nothing "playful" about that, at least out in public. nothing good can come from it. next thing you know, the 911 call of an unknowing concerned citizen has 10 squad cars rolling up with lights and sirens and LEOs with guns drawn.

Citizen... please, if you haven't already, strongly counsel the playful cashier.

No thank you.

A number of clerks and even a restaurant manager have done the same over the years. It is meant in fun, the playful tone and smile on their face proves it. My reply is always lighthearted, even to the two times I've raised my own hands in reply.

Anybody with a lick of observation ability can tell its not a serious situation, meaning if they can see it happen, they can see its not real. Barring a someone with a mental challenge like a Down Syndrome child or something.

It is not too unlike holstering up from the trunk of your car in public. "OOH! He's got a gun!" Yeah, right. By the time anybody notices the gun in your hand for the 1.6 seconds it travels from the trunk to the holster, and starts to react, the gun is holstered. Its over before anybody has any time to react. And, its too obvious what was occurring. Any reaction sustained after that is not a reaction, its deliberate.

Similar for the playfulness. Anybody who calls the cops after seeing that is deliberately distorting the event in order to cause trouble. They know dammed good and well its not real, not serious.

So, no. I'm not going to go around and get all serious, and embarrass people who are just being playful by rejecting their overture. I'm going to keep right on playing along. And, here's the best reason:

IT WORKS.

The play-ers come to realize you're just a regular guy with a sense of humor. And about as dangerous to them as a wet kitten. These same people often start asking questions about armed self-defense and the law, giving me an opening to promote.

Last edited: