• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NoVA (Northern Virginia) - OC reports

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
howdy, i'll tell you how i feel about the subject matter, first, i wouldn't bother anybody for no reason. secondly, i would definitely not bother someone that i can clearly see has a fire arm with them. i am a firm believer that OC aids as a preventative measure more than it invites problems from wrong doers. lets face it, how many of us will walk over to a person we see carrying a gun and start mouthing off for no reason. criminals love the fact that most people will NOT carry, OC or CC so they are easy marks. i OC to give others the "no, not me buddy" benefit of the doubt to allow them to think long and hard before approaching me or my loved ones with foolishness or ill intent.

my first post at this site. GOD Bless the Commonwealth of Virginia, THE GUN STATE! :cool:

Another welcome to OCDO. Just out of curiosity how did you find this place?

Many of us have experienced just that - often from someone who is staring and pointing at your holstered handgun while throwing a Grade A temper tantrum. At times it is difficult to remember that asking "Excuse me, but do you really want to be threatening someone wearing a gun?" is often interpreted as a threatening statement. Many times the person throwing the hissy fit at me was holding on to a young child, giving me the opportunity to calmly tell them that they are scaring the child. Once, when confronted by a daddy with a shopping cart full of arugula and a toddler I raised my hands about shoulder high, fingers wide spread, and started backing away while loudly saying "Please don't hurt me!" Daddy was "asked" to leave the store.:D

My point is that people with irrational beliefs about firearms are not likely to act in a rational way.

stay safe.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
howdy, i'll tell you how i feel about the subject matter, first, i wouldn't bother anybody for no reason. secondly, i would definitely not bother someone that i can clearly see has a fire arm with them. i am a firm believer that OC aids as a preventative measure more than it invites problems from wrong doers. lets face it, how many of us will walk over to a person we see carrying a gun and start mouthing off for no reason. criminals love the fact that most people will NOT carry, OC or CC so they are easy marks. i OC to give others the "no, not me buddy" benefit of the doubt to allow them to think long and hard before approaching me or my loved ones with foolishness or ill intent.

my first post at this site. GOD Bless the Commonwealth of Virginia, THE GUN STATE! :cool:

Welcome, friend. The membership here tends to be quite consistent in that we nearly all reject the conventional "wisdom" that OCers will be "shot first", as is promulgated by the "tactical advantage"/hero-fantasy crowd. I'm glad to see you're a thinking man. You're in good company.

Last edited:

blahpony

There's a new BBQ place in Leesburg called Yummy Pig. It's where the Q Company used to be. My friend and I went there yesterday and I was OC'ing. They didn't blink an eye or say anything. A few customers were in there and they didn't say anything either.

The Wolfhound

Glad this thread has returned

I looked for it a couple of weeks ago when I did OC in NOVA. NRA range, National Firearms Museum, Downtown Fairfax, Don's Shell (waiting on the vehicle that left me marooned in NOVA overnight to get a new fuel pump). No issues anywhere. I wish I could remember the name of the very nice downtown Irish Pub where we had lunch. Great food and no challenges. Felt much safer once I had crossed the Ni southbound.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I wish I could remember the name of the very nice downtown Irish Pub where we had lunch.

Auld Shebeen.

photo.jpg

Arma1911

I looked for it a couple of weeks ago when I did OC in NOVA. NRA range, National Firearms Museum, Downtown Fairfax, Don's Shell (waiting on the vehicle that left me marooned in NOVA overnight to get a new fuel pump). No issues anywhere. I wish I could remember the name of the very nice downtown Irish Pub where we had lunch. Great food and no challenges. Felt much safer once I had crossed the Ni southbound.

I went to the Firearms Museum several years ago and enjoyed it very much. However, I recall that I had to disarm before entering. Am I remembering things incorrectly or has their policy changed???

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Fun in Strasburg

On a recent jaunt, I stopped at a 7-Eleven in Strasburg.

At check out, the clerk noticed the gun and asked about make and model. Turned out she was pro-gun. We exchanged a couple comments, and then a fella from upstate NY chimed in. He remarked that people in his area would be freaked-out seeing someone carrying a gun. He said it in a way clearly derogatory towards the NY pansies.

There was a line of customers. The clerk had to keep ringing, so the whole conversation took maybe 20-30 seconds.

It occurs to me that neither clerk nor New Yorker asked whether I was a cop.

Arma1911

I'm thinking you misremembered.

stay safe.

I am glad I was mistaken...I guess I am getting old fast. :( Is it possible that the souvenir shop has a sign asking patrons not to enter with firearms???

Anyway, I will look forward to carrying next time I go!

Stay safe.

Last edited:

cyras21

I got in a lil fender bender this morning in leesburg. State, county, and town police were all on scene at one time or another. No one mentioned my firearm and the officer in charge of the scene emailed me this:

On a side note keep using your Second Amendment right. I was glad to see someone was exercising it responsibly and not making a show of it.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I got in a lil fender bender this morning in leesburg. State, county, and town police were all on scene at one time or another. No one mentioned my firearm and the officer in charge of the scene emailed me this:

On a side note keep using your Second Amendment right. I was glad to see someone was exercising it responsibly and not making a show of it.

Not to be too snarky, but, two questions:

1. How did he get your email address?

2. Did he send you this personal comment from a government computer? Maybe as part of an official communication? Or, was the entire email personal?

cyras21

I emailed him. I have a dash cam but no play back option so I emailed him the footage.

cyras21

Well, I know others have had issues but I've been oc'ing in COSTO for years without incident until just now. Refused entry into COSTO Leesburg.

efriday

OC all day at DMV

I Open Carried from 11 AM until 5 PM today at the DMV on Mills Road near Eisenhower Ave. Armed Security guard greeted me with a smile and nod each time I passed near him. Very busy, with nearly all seats occupied throughout the day.No reactions or qustions from any customers. One African-American boy, around 8 yrs old, quized me at length, not about gun laws or why I carried, but on details of what made my Glock work.
Will probably be an Engineer.