• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GMU Updates it's Anti-Gun Policy

TEX1N

imported post

sjhipple just informed me that GMU has their new weapon's policy posted:

http://www.gmu.edu/facstaff/policy/newpolicy/1120gen.html

The policy has been "under review" since last year. We now know exactly what we are up against. This policy was changed to remove wording that applied it to visitors and contracted services! Thus, GMU currently has no prohibition against the general public carrying on campus, only against "faculty, staff and students."

I wonder if they are going to still try and use the fallacious argument that they can ban the public from carrying into GMU buildings?!?

It is also interesting to note that there is no punishment listed for a violation of this policy. :question:

I have attached a copy of the old policy.

Attachments

• GMU Old Weapons Policy.pdf
    109.8 KB · Views: 245

rabbit994

imported post

At least they are "nice" enough to let off-duty LEO carry. VT policy was no carry except by LEO on OFFICIAL business.

BTW, I'm not agree with GMU policy as written but just commenting. We knew it was coming and I hope GMU-SCC will be able to convince them this is stupid policy.

AbNo

imported post

rabbit994 wrote:
VT policy was no carry except by LEO on OFFICIAL business.

And unaffiliated civilians, remember. As long as you aren't going to school there, they don't care.

Who in their right mind would pay someone to make them a potential victim?

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

Here's my question...

I work for a state college -- my paycheck comes from the state, the college is funded with state taxes, etc. Can they still enact policies against employees that prohibit posessing firearms legally?

They actually do have a clause where someone can obtain special permission from the campus directory to carry under special circumstances, but I'm wondering if this is a grayish area or if it could be legally challenged with some strong backing?

UTOC-45-44

imported post

In Utah for example they could not prohibit other than stating that they would be fired/expelled if "made".

It's Beautiful (sarcasm) to see that is a "Gun-free" zone, so that the Law-abiding cant Protect themselves, cuz according to the VATECH experiencethe BG"honors" this Ban:uhoh: