• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need some advice in picking out first handgun

s2ua7

imported post

Ok, so I'm looking at purchasing ahandgun for self defense (mostly CC, but when I get more comfortable carrying I may join you guys in OC) in September (Money issues at this point) and I need your opinion on the three companies I have picked out... Now I've fired both 9mm and .40 and I'm comfortable with both at this point, I havent fired a .45 at this point (I will come next week or so to see how I like it), but its not out of the question.... Anyways, here are the ones I'm looking at....

Steyr M Series- I'm looking at these guys because I actually like the triangle sights (although some people dont, they actually felt comfortible to me) and I like the lock, although I have been reading some reviews and they say the key can break easily... The other thing I read about the lock is that it only locks when a round is chambered (can anyone verify this?). I'm looking at the 9mm and the .40 caliber versions.

Springfield XD 4" Service - I'm looking at this because of its safety features (grip safety along with trigger safety) along with the great reviews I've gotten from friends of mine. Another feature I like, or more so features, are all the indicators on the pistol itself. I am looking at the 9mm, the .40 caliber, and the .45 caliber although I've have not fired one yet, but will here this weekend.

Smith and Wesson M&P - I guess I have questions on this one.... I am assuming that this handgun is availible to the public as I can access find on the S&W site under areas that are not specifically marked as LEO only. The main reason I like this gun is due to the fact that it will not fire when the clip is ejected, although here is where I have another question. It shows this feature is option for government and LEOs... But does that mean that it does not come on a civilian model? Anyhow, like the Steyr, I'm looking at the 9mm and the .40 caliber versions of this one...

Anyways, thanks for you help guys... I'm really leaning towards the XD, but thought I would ask the opinions of everyone here as all of you are more experienced than I am at this point... lol...

s2

s2ua7

imported post

The three that I've pretty much narrowed it down to, although I would look at other pistols if someonesuggested them... In terms of limit I am looking at a 700 MAXIMUM dollar limit... Only because the wifey put it up there for me... haha...

USN_MA1

imported post

s2ua7 wrote:
The three that I've pretty much narrowed it down to, although I would look at other pistols if someonesuggested them... In terms of limit I am looking at a 700 MAXIMUM dollar limit... Only because the wifey put it up there for me... haha...

I definitely DO know what you mean...;) I own an XD (5" tactical...sounds cool) and its a tank. The smaller versions are great, very comfortable gun to hold, shoot, whatever. I would love to shoot the MP compact(unfortunately it only goes up to .40) so I have zero info on that. As far as the Steyr, one of the Range masters has one and they love it. I have heard nothing but good things.

What are you looking to get out of the pistol? High capacity, concealability, single action, anything else?? If you were to get the XD, you could order the same sights the Steyr has...best of both worlds?

casullshooter

imported post

One of my friends has the XD45 , it shoots very well and he likes it very much . I hope you keep your money from S&W as they signed an agreement with the Clinton administration which is anti-gun in nature . For the complete details see the VCDL.ORG website and look at the boycott S&W section .

If you can get the wife to raise the budget to $1,000 , I have a Para Ordinance model : S1445 Limited .45ACP w/15 rd. capacity just under $1,000 . The only drawback is the weight , but Para does make lighter single stack models all with the Power Extractor (Para is considered to be one of the best values on the market) .

Best Regards and welcome to OCDO ,

CS

VAopencarry

imported post

I'd go with the XD.

You can get the S&W with or without the mag safety. I haven't fired the M&P but dry firing it, the trigger feels like poo. I don't like the take down procedure and if you want to change the backstrap it's a pain in the ass. That being said, most people I talk to that own a M&P, like them.

gsh341

imported post

The XD is an easy gun to use, even for new gun owners. It's also reliable and inexpensive. Think of it as the Remington 870 of pistols (without as many add-ons available.)

kparker

imported post

I hope you keep your money from S&W as they signed an agreement with the Clinton administration which is anti-gun in nature

Umm, not only is that ancient history, but current S&W ownership is not the same as those who signed the deal, and the ensuing bad PR they got was responsible for that change in ownership, at least in part. So don't hold it against today's S&W.

Tomahawk

imported post

kparker wrote:
I hope you keep your money from S&W as they signed an agreement with the Clinton administration which is anti-gun in nature

Umm, not only is that ancient history, but current S&W ownership is not the same as those who signed the deal, and the ensuing bad PR they got was responsible for that change in ownership, at least in part. So don't hold it against today's S&W.
I think the problem is that they won't publicly deny the agreement.

AbNo

imported post

s2ua7 wrote:
Steyr M Series- I'm looking at these guys because I actually like the triangle sights (although some people dont, they actually felt comfortible to me) and I like the lock, although I have been reading some reviews and they say the key can break easily...  The other thing I read about the lock is that it only locks when a round is chambered (can anyone verify this?).  I'm looking at the 9mm and the .40 caliber versions.

Springfield XD 4" Service - I'm looking at this because of its safety features (grip safety along with trigger safety) along with the great reviews I've gotten from friends of mine.  Another feature I like, or more so features, are all the indicators on the pistol itself.  I am looking at the 9mm, the .40 caliber, and the .45 caliber although I've have not fired one yet, but will here this weekend.

Smith and Wesson M&P - I guess I have questions on this one....  I am assuming that this handgun is availible to the public as I can access find on the S&W site under areas that are not specifically marked as LEO only.  The main reason I like this gun is due to the fact that it will not fire when the clip is ejected, although here is where I have another question.  It shows this feature is option for government and LEOs...  But does that mean that it does not come on a civilian model?  Anyhow, like the Steyr, I'm looking at the 9mm and the .40 caliber versions of this one...

Steyr M Series- Haven't tried it. Don't know about it.

XD Service Model - I have the .40 cal Bi-Tone, myself. It's a durable, reliable piece of equipment. Accurate, and all in all a very nice piece. The lifetime warranty is a plus as well. You can even get aftermarket kits for the larger calibers to fire smaller rounds (i.e. .40 to 9mm). Pass a PM to me if you need links.

S&W M&P - I own one S&W, and I will not own another one. I have their 22-A, and it's very nice, accurate, and reliable, but I will not support a company, especially a gun company, that sided with the Clintonistas.

Drewesque

imported post

[align=left]I, too, would go with the XD. My Steyr M40 is a good gun, but the XD is the carry gun. Personally, I like the .45, and would suggest you go to a range and try one.

Steyr: As for your lock question regarding the Steyr, I must say that I've never locked mine. I don't even know where the key is. Sorry I can't help you there. The sights are great for quick acquisition, but you can get them for the XD, should you choose. I would suggest the M40 over the M9, if only because it's one of few guns designed for the .40, rather than scaled up from a 9mm.

XD: Ridiculously reliable, comfortable, and a fantastic bargain. I love my XD45. Don't get it because of the safeties, though...the most important safety device is between your ears. The 13+1 capacity of an XD45 is hard to beat.

M&P: It's a good gun, though I dislike a few things about it. As has been mentioned, the takedown procedure and the trigger both leave something to be desired. I've never tried to change the backstrap on one. It's a quality firearm, and good if you like it, but it's not really my first choice.

You may also want to look at the Taurus 24/7. It's a good, inexpensive gun. It's comfortable to hold, solidly built, and a good gun. I prefer the XD to it, but it is certainly no slouch.

If you might want a 1911, the Taurus PT1911 is also a great value. It didn't really sound like you want one, but I'm just tossing the idea out there.

All in all, the XD would probably be my first choice, and the one I always recommend. Heck, I let a guy with an SP90 fire a mag through my XD, and I fired a couple shots from the SP90. Guess who was ready to buy which? I'll give you a hint: I still couldn't see spending ridiculous sums of money on an SP90.
[/align]

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

s2ua7 wrote:
Ok, so I'm looking at purchasing ahandgun for self defense (mostly CC, but when I get more comfortable carrying I may join you guys in OC) in September (Money issues at this point) and I need your opinion on the three companies I have picked out... Now I've fired both 9mm and .40 and I'm comfortable with both at this point, I havent fired a .45 at this point (I will come next week or so to see how I like it), but its not out of the question.... Anyways, here are the ones I'm looking at....

Steyr M Series- I'm looking at these guys because I actually like the triangle sights (although some people dont, they actually felt comfortible to me) and I like the lock, although I have been reading some reviews and they say the key can break easily... The other thing I read about the lock is that it only locks when a round is chambered (can anyone verify this?). I'm looking at the 9mm and the .40 caliber versions.

Springfield XD 4" Service - I'm looking at this because of its safety features (grip safety along with trigger safety) along with the great reviews I've gotten from friends of mine. Another feature I like, or more so features, are all the indicators on the pistol itself. I am looking at the 9mm, the .40 caliber, and the .45 caliber although I've have not fired one yet, but will here this weekend.

Smith and Wesson M&P - I guess I have questions on this one.... I am assuming that this handgun is availible to the public as I can access find on the S&W site under areas that are not specifically marked as LEO only. The main reason I like this gun is due to the fact that it will not fire when the clip is ejected, although here is where I have another question. It shows this feature is option for government and LEOs... But does that mean that it does not come on a civilian model? Anyhow, like the Steyr, I'm looking at the 9mm and the .40 caliber versions of this one...

Anyways, thanks for you help guys... I'm really leaning towards the XD, but thought I would ask the opinions of everyone here as all of you are more experienced than I am at this point... lol...

s2
The option is to NOT have the magazine safety for LEO's and govn't.

unrequited

imported post

XD .45 Service. I have one, and it's been nothing but amazing. It's idiotproof, takes down with one flick of the lever, and eats any ammo you can throw at it. The only thing is the lack of an external safety, but you still got the one in your head right? As long as you know how to handle a gun and are comfortable with it... and have the appropriate trigger-guard holsters to carry (pretty much all now are anyways) that's the only drawback I could envision.

As for caliber choice, before you spend $600, spend $60 at the range and rent a 9, .40 and .45, or maybe just the .40/.45 and spend an hour or two. If you can handle the .45 comfortably, but more importantly accurately, bigger is always better. Cost you a bit more in the end ammo-wise, but since you said it's for self-defense go big.

If you have any specific questions, please let me know either by PM or in this thread... and before you decide please read this:

http://springfield-armory.primediaoutdoors.com/SPstory11.php

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Well, as you can see, s2ua7, this is an XD crowd.With some S&W-bashing thrown in for spice. :cool:

You have some important things to think about and kudos to you for going about it an a considered and measured way. My input would be that you should decide on your purpose (SD, CC only, OC only, CC/OC, etc.) and then choose a caliber. Then go shoot those guns or similar ones. You should at least see how a gun feels in your hand. Dry fire it if you can't actually fire it.

Go for function and purpose, steel vs. polymer, feel, brand and warranty. Possibly in thatorder. Throw in political statement if you want but bump itup againstfunction and purpose. If a S&W fits your purpose and feels/shoots good for you, and you're going to defend your family with it, that probably trumps any political considerations.

Pick the brand youneed. Not the brand that the crowd suggests.

unrequited wrote:

XD .45 Service. I have one, and it's been nothing but amazing. It's idiotproof, takes down with one flick of the lever, and eats any ammo you can throw at it. The only thing is the lack of an external safety, but you still got the one in your head right? As long as you know how to handle a gun and are comfortable with it... and have the appropriate trigger-guard holsters to carry (pretty much all now are anyways) that's the only drawback I could envision.

As for caliber choice, before you spend $600, spend $60 at the range and rent a 9, .40 and .45, or maybe just the .40/.45 and spend an hour or two. If you can handle the .45 comfortably, but more importantly accurately, bigger is always better. Cost you a bit more in the end ammo-wise, but since you said it's for self-defense go big.

If you have any specific questions, please let me know either by PM or in this thread... and before you decide please read this:

un is a XD apostle and that's fine. I'm sure he's just being casual about the "idiotproof" attribute of the XD .45. :p Especially, since a couple of members here in the last few days have opined on that attribute ("As soon as you make something idiot proof, only an idiot would want to use it." and "Make something Idiot proof, you only make a "better" (aka dumber)Idiot.)

You can take or leave his endorsement based on any criteria you wish to use. But you may consider also that some __ insert brand name___ fans might just be a little limited in their experienceacross several brands. Some folks buy just one gun and think they have made the best choice in the history of firearms purchases...

If you think you like an external safety, then you should get one. Don't let anyone talk you out of it simply because he doesn't like one. This is important in your first gun. You have to be very comfortable with it. If you ever have an ND on a gun that doesn't have an external safety, you can't blame the guy who told you you didn't have to worry about having the safety in the first place.

Ammo cost is always a consideration. You know what you can afford. But a key is that you have to practice regularly anda lot with your first gun.Don't let high ammo cost dissuade you from practicing a LOT!

Lastly,takeun's "bigger is always better" advice with a (big) grain of salt. That's a really bad piece of advice. He's qualified this advice bypremising it on yourbeing able to handle a .45 "comfortably"and "accurately," but it's still terrible advice.

What is "better" and is always "better" is aneffective man/gun/training/ammosystem for a particularand defined mission/purpose. Sometimes, that is a .45. Sometimes, not.

Keep asking around on what people's experience has beenwith the guns you'vepickedforyour selection set. And, maybe, be open to adding one or two to that set.

s2ua7

imported post

Sorry I havent posted in a bit... Last night my brother in law got the call that he had a lung/heart donor in and had to be rushed to Seattle, so thats why I havent had a chance to post as I have been busy with that. But anyways, thanks for all the great responses... It sound like the XD is going to be the way to go from all the positive comments about it.

The main reason I chose to post here asking for help is because if I posted on a S&W, Steyr, or Springfield forum, of course I'm going to get the buy X gun, where X is the manufacture of handgun whose board I'm currently on... Although I did go on their boards and look at the troubleshooting section to see what problems they were having... So that not only would I know how to fix the problem, but who was having more problems :)

But anyways, thanks for all your help

s2

tarzan1888

imported post

s2ua7 wrote:
Sorry I havent posted in a bit... Last night my brother in law got the call that he had a lung/heart donor in and had to be rushed to Seattle, so thats why I havent had a chance to post as I have been busy with that. But anyways, thanks for all the great responses... It sound like the XD is going to be the way to go from all the positive comments about it.

The main reason I chose to post here asking for help is because if I posted on a S&W, Steyr, or Springfield forum, of course I'm going to get the buy X gun, where X is the manufacture of handgun whose board I'm currently on... Although I did go on their boards and look at the troubleshooting section to see what problems they were having... So that not only would I know how to fix the problem, but who was having more problems :)

But anyways, thanks for all your help

s2

HankT gives you some good advice.

I have a son -in-law who was about where you are. I took him shooting and he shot several guns, then I took him to a gun show ans he handled a lot a guns.

He ended up buying the XD 4 inch in .45 ACP He loves it.

I don't have any of the guns that you mentioned, but I know they are good guns from the experience of others.

What is most important is how each gun feels in your hands and where they point to shoot when you bring them up to firing position. good luck.

Tarzan

s2ua7

imported post

I've fired a 9mm and a .40 caliber, and both were fairly easy for me to shoot and I am quite comfortible with them... I have never fired a .45 before so I'm looking forward to doing that.... Luckily for me, my step dad works for a paper mill that manages public water sheds out in the middle of nowhere, so I have a nice quiet place to shoot, and my brother was in the Army and is helping me with basic shooting techniques (although once I get my handgun I will be going to basic handgun lessons AND defensive pistol technique classes when they become availible.... I'm really hoping that the .45 is really easy as I really like saying that I own a .45, but I dont want to buy it if it is going to be "too much" for me to handle in a self defense situation...

Again, thanks for all the advice everyone :)

s2

unrequited

imported post

Wonderful, glad to hear HankT didn't poison the well. xdtalk.com is a great resource, and I can answer any personal questions you have.

.45 is more of a push while .40 is more of a "kick"

AbNo

imported post

s2ua7 wrote:
I'm really hoping that the .45 is really easy as I really like saying that I own a .45, but I dont want to buy it if it is going to be "too much" for me to handle in a self defense situation... 

Honestly? I think .45 out of a 1911 is a bit easier to handle than a .40 out of my XD, but there are weight and balance issues at heart there.

And for fun, go rent a Deagle .50ae. Those cartridges are the size of my pinky finger! :lol:

tarzan1888

imported post

unrequited wrote:
.45 is more of a push while .40 is more of a "kick"

That is exactly what my son-in-law said when he compared shooting the .40 cal Glock to shootingthe .45 ACP XD.

My daughter has no problems shooting the .45 XD, except that it is a little hard for her to rack the slide.