• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need some advice in picking out first handgun

67GT390FB

imported post

kparker wrote:
I hope you keep your money from S&W as they signed an agreement with the Clinton administration which is anti-gun in nature

Umm, not only is that ancient history, but current S&W ownership is not the same as those who signed the deal, and the ensuing bad PR they got was responsible for that change in ownership, at least in part. So don't hold it against today's S&W.
as long as the new or future ownership of S&W whoever they might be, maintains the production of revolvers w/ the built in mandatory trigger lock they are in essence affirming that clinton era agreement. So that is not ancient history and they are essentially not changing anything that the previous ownership capitulated to. I love smith revolvers but I will not buy a new one.

joe

casullshooter

imported post

Agree with you 67GT...........calling the S&W situation "Ancient History" reaffirms the impression that Americans have a short attention span , politicians take advantage of this regularly .

s2ua7

imported post

Haha, I wish I could afford the Desert Eagles... lol... That would be sooooo sweet :) lol.. but the cost on those are HUGE!! lol.... I dont think it would even have to be loaded to scare intruders... lol

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
kparker wrote:
I hope you keep your money from S&W as they signed an agreement with the Clinton administration which is anti-gun in nature

Umm, not only is that ancient history, but current S&W ownership is not the same as those who signed the deal, and the ensuing bad PR they got was responsible for that change in ownership, at least in part. So don't hold it against today's S&W.
as long as the new or future ownership of S&W whoever they might be, maintains the production of revolvers w/ the built in mandatory trigger lock they are in essence affirming that clinton era agreement. So that is not ancient history and they are essentially not changing anything that the previous ownership capitulated to. I love smith revolvers but I will not buy a new one.

Ruger makes revolvers with the internal lock. So does Taurus. Are they also "affirming the clinton era agreement?"

Can you even buya newly produced revolver without an internal lock anymore?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

AbNo wrote:
That's odd. The only guns I've seen with integral locks are the Bersas.

You haven't been looking too hard.

The IL has been moving over to the semi-autos for some time to manufacturers other than S&W.

Using the IL as a basis to boycott S&W is getting flimsier and flimsier. In fact, it's downright illogical.

67GT390FB

imported post

HankT wrote:
67GT390FB wrote:
kparker wrote:

Ruger makes revolvers with the internal lock.don't even get me started on bill rugershypocrisy.it'sa reason i don't buy "new" rugers.so does Taurus.they are essentially a brazillian s&w knockoff so this is no big supriseAre they also "affirming the clinton era agreement?"so to answer your question "not entirely" they both have their own issues in addition to the horror of the clinton years.rugers has to do with bowing to the state of maryland who requires guns manufactured after jan 1 2003 to have and internal locking device
Can you even buya newly produced revolver without an internal lock anymore?

AbNo

imported post

HankT wrote:
AbNo wrote:
That's odd. The only guns I've seen with integral locks are the Bersas.

You haven't been  looking too hard.

The IL has been moving over to the semi-autos for some time to manufacturers other than S&W.

Exactly, I haven't been looking for them.

Now, would you care to explain the purpose of this non sequitur? Or were you just looking to be a high school girl trying to start more drama?

HankT wrote:
Using the IL as a  basis to boycott S&W is getting flimsier and flimsier. In fact, it's downright illogical.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

casullshooter wrote:
I bought a Super Redhawk last year and it does NOT have an internal lock . or any lock.........454 Casull
They don't need one! Artillery is not required to have locks. :)

Particle

imported post

s2ua7 wrote:
Haha, I wish I could afford the Desert Eagles... lol... That would be sooooo sweet :) lol..  but the cost on those are HUGE!! lol....  I dont think it would even have to be loaded to scare intruders... lol

I don't think an intruder would know either way until you tried to shoot.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

casullshooter wrote:
I bought a Super Redhawk last year and it does NOT have an internal lock . or any lock.........454 Casull

Doesn't look like the Super Redhawk will get the integrated lock. It was designed before the 2005 cutoff that Rugeris using. Guns designed after then will have the IL, i.e., New Vaquero, 50th Anniversary .357, etc. Even the newer Ruger semi-autos are now getting the IL, i.e., P345.

For various reasons, including tougher regulations in certain states (Maryland, California), the IL is proliferating. Not only on revos, but also on semi-autos. It's here to stay.

Overall, the IL is a good idea. But only if it is a standard component of all or almost all newly produced guns. A fair amount of benefit for a slight reduction in aesthetic quality. After a while, people won't even notice the dman thing.

It makes no sense to boycott S&W for having the IL when most other manufacturers are either already installing it on their new guns or are on the path to doing it at some point in the future. I think that eventually all manufacturers of handguns (and even long guns) for the popular market will adopt the IL.

Particle

imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
unrequited wrote:
.45 is more of a push while .40 is more of a "kick"

That is exactly what my son-in-law said when he compared shooting the .40 cal Glock to shooting the .45 ACP XD.

My daughter has no problems shooting the .45 XD, except that it is a little hard for her to rack the slide.

I'd have to agree. I'd rather shoot 9mm or .45 ACP than a .40. It just doesn't feel that good compared to the others, imo.

hogleg

imported post

To answer your question on a first gun, I like the Sig 229 and 226. I seem to favor the .40 not much of a kick since I am used to .357 magnum. The .40's are getting quite polular not sure why. 9mm is still the cheapest around here and many to choose from. I just like more bang.......

I have a few wheel guns as well and like the no hassle of them. Pull the trigger and bang. 38 special +p and your good to go for any normal situation.

For S&W I don't hold it against them. Whee the Clintonistas have you and your buisnes up against the wall we will see if you cut a deal or go under. Beside they got em back with the new very nice totally in your face anti gunners nightmareAR-15 they are now producing. There is nothing that says screw youClinton/Reno like a nice black AR-15 with a 30 round clip and forward grip.