• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oh no... do NOT fire without considering your backstop... cop kills 5-year-old kid aiming for snake

casullshooter

imported post

I will wait to hear the results of the investigation (with hope that it isproper as opposed to a Manassas PD type of investigation) . The Duke lacrosse case shows the need to not rush to judgement.......

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
I can see the Brady news: "Another child killed by gun violence. When will we get YOUR guns off the street?"

That's stretchhhhhhhhhinnnnnnnnggggggg it way too much, T-hawk. It's quite absurd. In a really weird way.

I think you're trivializing the incident to feed your ideological rhetoric. That's an extremist's tactic, for sure.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

HankT wrote:
That's stretchhhhhhhhhinnnnnnnnggggggg it way too much, T-hawk. It's quite absurd. In a really weird way.

Incorrect as usual, Hank.

The Brady campaign has already used deaths of "kids" 19yrs and younger, killed by COPS (during the commition of a crime) in their X number of kids killed by "gun violence" propaganda.

Why would this be any farther out than that?

Try again.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:
HankT wrote:

Incorrect as usual, Hank.

The Brady campaign has already used deaths of "kids" 19yrs and younger, killed by COPS (during the commition of a crime) in their X number of kids killed by "gun violence" propaganda.

Why would this be any farther out than that?

Well, for one thing, no crime was involved in the instant case.

Tomahawk is just doing the typical extremist reaction--jump on a tragic event to feed ideological flame fanning. I mean, no one is going to say what T-hawk posted:

Tomahawk wrote:
I can see the Brady news: "Another child killed by gun violence. When will we get YOUR guns off the street?"

Your defense of T-hawk's extremist rhetoric is weak, PP. Very weak. It further trivializes the tragedy. Andattempts to divert attention from the real issue: horrendouslybad judgment by an LEO in using a gun.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
imported post

HankT wrote:
Your defense of T-hawk's extremist rhetoric is weak, PP. Very weak. It further trivializes the tragedy. Andattempts to divert attention from the real issue: horrendouslybad judgment by an LEO in using a gun.

Nah, it's simply exposing you for what you are.
Your divertsionary tactics are long since figured out. Get with the program, eh?

T-hawks comments were sopt on in regards to the brady bunch.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:
HankT wrote:

Nah, it's simply exposing you for what you are.
Your divertsionary tactics are long since figured out. Get with the program, eh?

T-hawks comments were sopt on in regards to the brady bunch.

Weak....

The Brady Bunch will not say what T-hawk said they will say:

Tomahawk wrote:

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
imported post

Sigh, your so predictable, Hank.

This part they will say: "Another child killed by gun violence"

The "When will we get YOUR guns off the street..."
Was an obvious humorous twist that was lost on you...

I'm disappointed, Hank, it used to be fun to play with you...

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:
Sigh, your so predictable, Hank.

This part they will say: "Another child killed by gun violence"

The "When will we get YOUR guns off the street..."

I'm disappointed, Hank, it used to be fun to play with you...

Tomahawk wrote:
;)

Tomahawk

imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:

It was sarcastic, I suppose, but it wasn't really humor.

Antis inflate children gun death statistics, including children as old as 20 or 21 years old, and any child death by any gun anywhere, including accidents and police shootings.

Why do they do this? Not to take guns from cops, but to take them from you.

They are disingenuous and use the blood of poor kids like the one in this story to trample your rights.

As for Hank...

feedtroll.gif

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:

Yes, my bad. Sarcastic. I should not buy beer on Monday nights ;)

Antis inflate children gun death statistics, including children as old as 20 or 21 years old, and any child death by any gun anywhere, including accidents and police shootings. Why do they do this? Not to take guns from cops, but to take them from you. They are disingenuous and use the blood of poor kids like the one in this story to trample your rights.
Amen, I think everyone other than HankT probably deduced that relation from your post.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:

Tomahawk wrote:
Pa. Patriot wrote:

Taking advantage of a tragedy to just make up stuff...:(

BTW, here's an interesting update. The Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation is not releasing any officer names and said an investigation into the shooting could take several weeks.

Three Noble officers on leave after child shot
Last Update: Aug 6, 2007 1:20 PM

NOBLE, Okla. (AP) _ There are now three Noble police officers on administrative leave after 5-year-old boy was killed Friday by a bullet fired by an officer at a snake.

Their names haven't been released. Police Chief Ben Daves says the three are on leave pending investigations by both the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation and Noble police.

Daves says in a statement released today officers fired two shots at the snake about 7:30 Friday night and a bullet from a .40 caliber gun hit 5-year-old Austin Haley in the head as he fished with his grandfather.

The boy was pronounced dead at Norman Regional Hospital.

http://www.fox23.com/news/state/story.aspx?content_id=43f518e1-98f4-4842-8af7-13722687718b

Particle

imported post

What kind of person shoots UP instead of downward into the dirt? It doesn't take much to realize that's not a good idea.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Particle wrote:
What kind of person shoots UP instead of downward into the dirt? It doesn't take much to realize that's not a good idea.

I'm thinking he may have shot pretty much laterally. How else could two bullets land so close to the grandfather and the child? :(

Here is an update, with more detail. The event's an example of horrendously bad judgment by the shooter and at least one colleague. It's truly amazing and saddening how a person could be so careless with a gun. NPD is pretty much in defense mode, not saying too much important that people don't already know.

City responds to questions, officers on leave

By Julianna Parker
August 07, 2007 12:57 am

Transcript Staff Writer

NOBLE — Three police officers were placed on administrative leave after a stray bullet resulted in the death of a 5-year-old boy in Noble Friday, the police chief announced Monday.

More than 50 people attended the regular Noble City Council meeting Monday evening to question city officials about the shooting.

All expressed outrage at this “senseless act” that resulted in the death of a child.

Noble police officers responded to a call at 7:42 p.m. Friday that involved a snake hanging from a bird house in the 300 block of Crest Lane in Noble, according to a statement released Monday by Noble Police Chief Ben Daves.

This was Daves’ first official statement since the incident.

The yard at that location abuts a wooded field near a pond where two boys were fishing with their grandfather and great-grandfather.

The officers fired two shots at the snake, Daves said.

“They were waiting on the snake to quit wiggling when they heard the cries from the field,” he said.

One of the bullets from the 40-caliber gun struck 5-year-old Austin Haley in the head. He was rushed to Norman Regional Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

At the meeting Monday, citizens raised questions about the conduct of the officers and the policies the city set in place that led to the tragedy.

“How can an arrogant officer fire an arm like that in an area that’s not rural and put my little nephew on the streets of glory?” asked David Henry, Austin’s great-uncle.

Dixie Gillum, Austin’s great-grandmother, called the shooting an act of “negligent homicide.”

City officials had no excuses for the tragedy.

“I apologize to the community for this event; it should never have happened,” City Manager Bob Wade said.

Mayor Gary Hayes said he wishes he could turn back time and change things. He said an apology was not enough, but he recognizes that something went terribly wrong.

“We as a community have to look at this and say, ‘OK. How can we make sure something like this doesn’t happen again?’” Hayes said.

The family of the Haleys spoke with tears and anger at the meeting.

Gillum said Austin’s 2-year-old brother keeps asking his mother where Austin is. She said Austin’s parents are “devastated” and were not at the meeting because they were at the funeral home making arrangements.

Two investigations are being conducted as a result of the incident, Wade said at the meeting Monday.

The Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation is conducting a criminal investigation, and Noble officials are conducting an administrative investigation, he said.

Daves said he could not release the names of the officers on leave or comment on their track records.

Daves did say, however, that “there hasn’t been a questionable discharge in the three years I’ve been here.”

Former Noble Police Officer Kevin Austin said the officer who fired the shot was a rookie, only about one month out of training school.

Wade said one of the three officers who responded to the call was a shift supervisor with five years’ experience.

Wade said he will investigate the shooting and find out what training and policies need to be changed.

Austin’s grandmother, Cheryl Tracy, asked the council why an animal shelter wasn’t called to pick up the snake peacefully. Several other citizens said the snake could have been killed another way.

The Noble Police Department usually keeps a part-time animal control officer on staff, Daves said.

That position is vacant and the department was advertising for the job, he said.

When the department is “in between” animal control officers like this, Daves said officers only respond to emergency animal calls.

But “emergency” is open to interpretation, even in the case of snake calls.

“We had to go just to see what the situation was,” he said.

Daves said the police department has no official protocol for animal complaints.

Someone called into the police station at 8:12 p.m. to say they heard shots fired near the 1200 block of Etowah Road, according to the chronological phone log acquired from the Noble Police Department.

The report came 30 minutes after the initial animal complaint.

The last names of the person who received the emergency calls and the reporting party’s names were blacked out on the phone log. Also, the record of what was said over the radio was withheld. Daves said that was because the situation was still under investigation.

With the three officers involved in the shooting on leave, only seven officers are left to patrol the community, including the chief himself, Daves said.

There are two full-time officer positions vacant, in addition to the part-time animal control officer position, he said.

http://www.normantranscript.com/localnews/local_story_219005715.html

CPL_in_WA

imported post

There are now three Noble police officers on administrative leave after 5-year-old boy was killed Friday by a bullet fired by an officer at a snake.

killed by a bullet...:(

[sadness+sarcasm]We so need to do something about those killing bullets... [/sadness+sarcasm]

I can't maintain any semblance of even-keeled attitude when I see this Brady horseshit. I have to compose myself somewhere, or write a frikkin' essay about it all, just to calm down.

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
imported post

HankT wrote:
“We as a community have to look at this and say, ‘OK. How can we make sure something like this doesn’t happen again?’” Hayes said.
Typical mayor-speak.

What an asswipe.

The answer is about as obvious as can be and has nothing to do with the community.

Training.

If this cop was out on the street it is the PD's fault he was not trained or not held back if he did not learn from the training.

"The community" will hopefully be able to communicate this to the asshat mayor when he asks them :uhoh:

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:
HankT wrote:
Typical mayor-speak.

What an asswipe.

The answer is about as obvious as can be and has nothing to do with the community.

Training.

If this cop was out on the street it is the PD's fault he was not trained or not held back if he did not learn from the training.

"The community" will hopefully be able to communicate this to the asshat mayor when he asks them :uhoh:

I'm wondering if criminal charges are in order in this case. I'm sure that LEOs have a great deal of cover for errors committed, both in judgement and in behavior in the course of performing their duties.

But at some point, the negligence must be so indefensible that some criminal liability should enter the picture.

I also wonder about he civil liability for the city of Noble. How much of a hit can a small town take? My SWAG isthis wrongful death case would be in the $5 million range. It's just so very tragic and so very indefensible...

AbNo

imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:
Training.

Wade said one of the three officers who responded to the call was a shift supervisor with five years’ experience.

I... honestly can't say anything to that. I was going to put "this town obviously hires monkeys", but it just seems inadequate.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:

They're not going to say that. This is not the kind of gun violence that they decry. Get serious.If you're joking, there's no purpose to it. If you're serious, that is sometortured and self-indulgent logic....

Anyway, they'vedecided to charge the cops for their pathetically irresponsible actions:

Officers Charged In Boy's Death

Friday, September 9, 2007; Posted: 8:31 p.m.(CDT)

The Cleveland County district attorney filed charges Friday against two Noble police officers. The officers, Brad Rogers and Shawn Richardson, are charged with second degree manslaughter in the shooting death of five-year-old Austin Haley.

Haley was shot and killed on August 3, 2007.

At the time of the shooting Rogers had been on the Noble police force for one month, Richardson was a five year veteran of the force.

Austin's family and the D.A. say they are happy with the charges filed.

District Attorney Greg Mashburn says, "I conclude that these officers failed to do something that a reasonably careful person would do, by firing a weapon at a non-poisonous snake that was stuck in a birdhouse, without knowing what lay behind their location."

Jack Haley, Austin's father, says, "We support the district attorney 100-percent. We are extremely happy that he decided to press charges."

The district attorney said the officers need to face some level of accountability for their actions.

Austin's family says the charges do not ease the pain.

They are hoping the loss of Austin will bring about a new awareness.

Jack says, "We want to see justice for our son and we want to see prevention in the future. We don't want to see this happen to anybody else."

The district attorney says deciding what charges to file was not an easy decision. However, after looking at all of the evidence he says he knows this decision was the right decision.

As for Officer Rogers and Officer Richardson, if convicted they could face up to four years in prison.

The officers are expected to turn themselves in next week.

http://www.ksbitv.com/home/9654147.html