• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is Packing.org GONE???

hpj3

imported post

This from a link off glocktalk to californiaccw.org:

jonm

I am embarrassed to say that I am (was) the California admin for Packing.Org. The site is currently down (a frequent problem), but when I was able to update things, I always did. When questions were posed to me I always responded. When help was asked for, I did my best to provide it. I kept things as current as I was able to. There
are several posters there on CaliforniaCCW who know me from PDO, and they can vouch for my commitment to the cause. The site owner, Mark Solomon, decided to take the site another direction by eliminating the ability to moderate it. When he did that, he also took away respective state admin's ability to easily modify it.

There were around 35 committed people acting as state admins at PDO (some maintaining more than one state). After Mr. Solomon made his changes to the format, and as well as his changes in attitude about the site itself, the site went to hell in a hand basket.

If there are any members here who can remember what PDO was prior to August of 2005, you will remember what a stellar site it was. It was the best CCW site on the Internet, hands down. Content was on topic and chat was limited to relevant topics. Now it is a name calling, cop bashing, assault weapon chat room, filled with vulgarities. And that's only when the server is up.

Calls to Mr. Solomon (both by phone and by email) go without response. The majority of my fellow state admins have abandoned the site because they don't want to be associated with it any longer. I can now be counted in that group.

I have since submitted an unanswered email to Mr. Solomon requesting that my name be removed from the California page.

I want to warn everyone here NOT to rely on anything on PDO!

If you want to know anything about another state's policies, and you want it form a reliable source, be sure to visit http://handgunlaw.us

That site is maintained by, among others, a guy whom I admire greatly for his honesty and integrity, Gary Slider. Gary, I'm glad to say, has joined this site. Although he is not a California resident, he has a wealth of knowledge that I know he would be willing to share.

Stay safe, please
-----------------------------------------------------------

Looks like we've lost a valuable resource. Too bad...

Howard

JeffersonDavis

imported post

It did have some good information. I only recently found it so I never did seean anti-OC side. Looks like the other site linked will fill in the gaps, thanks for the replies.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

The forum PDO was merely a sychophantic echo of NRA member-customers and the NRA depends on the sale of privilege as its stock-in-trade. When the war over infringements is won then there will be no reason for the continued existence of the NRA and no more lying fat-cat salaries. That can't be allowed to happen.

The database PDO was useful but then it lost focus and became just another forum for base opinion.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

CrashVector

imported post

Mark doesnt care enough to respond to his member's emails.

Mark doesnt care enough to listen to the people that made that site what it was.

Mark obviously had a holier-than-thou attitude about PDO....

and I couldnt care less that its gone.

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

CrashVector wrote:
Mark doesnt care enough to respond to his member's emails.

Mark doesnt care enough to listen to the people that made that site what it was.

Mark obviously had a holier-than-thou attitude about PDO....

and I couldnt care less that its gone.
My $0.02:

Per his announcement on PDO, Mark is going to law school. Mark's personal homepage has weather for Washington, DC. So, it's a fair conclusion that Mark moved to and is going to law school in Washington DC. Why would a gun owner and proponent move to Washington DC?

tarzan1888

imported post

If PDO is gone, then it is gone. If, as in the past, it comes back, it is what ever the posters make it, as is any site.

I followed the data base when it was transfered to PDO almost 10 years ago.

It has been a site that people either love or hate, and that goes for both those who love guns as well as those that do not.

Some here like to bash other sites and this is usually because of some personal affront or agenda, but I think it is a sad time for all who believe in our rights, and I think we all lose a little something when any voice for our freedoms is lost.

I hope PDO is again a Phoenix that rises from the ashes.

If it does not, I think that we all, whether we admit it or not, are a little diminished by its passing.

:(