• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

D. C. Mayor Adrian Fenty

Kelly J

imported post

“D. C. Mayor Adrian Fenty does not see guns the way our Founders did. In his view, they are not tools for defending individual liberty, they are instruments of criminality...Fenty announced that the District would appeal to the Supreme Court a March decision by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia that ruled that a District gun law was unconstitutional. The law in question flatly bans possession of a handgun—even in one’s own home—unless the gun was registered before 1976. ‘Wherever I go, the response from the residents is, Mayor Fenty, you’ve got to fight this all the way to the Supreme Court,’ said Fenty. In fact, however, the D. C. handgun suit pits individual law-abiding D. C. residents against a Constitution-flouting D. C. government. These individuals claim the government is violating their Second Amendment right to ‘keep and bear arms.’ The appeals court agreed. The District argues there is no such thing as an individual right to keep and bear arms, and that the Framers did not intend to protect one... The generation of Americans who ratified the Second Amendment would see such an outcome as a prelude to the extermination of all the other rights of the ‘people’ recognized in the Constitution. Gun ownership, in their view, was not merely an individual right, it was a natural right. If individuals had a God-given right to life, liberty and property, it obviously followed that they also had a right to individually posses the means to protect their life, liberty and property. That meant guns.” —Terence Jeffrey

Extracted from the Patriot Post 07-32 Brief

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

If guns are only used for criminal activities, why do police carry them? Yes, a rhetorical question.

But the argument is not far off from the answer, we simply want to protect ourselves.

How many people with permits actually commit violent crimes with their legally owned, legally carried firearms!?

If someone can find some numbers, I would love to see them.

gregma

imported post

How many people with permits actually commit violent crimes with their legally owned, legally carried firearms!? If someone can find some numbers, I would love to see them.
A great site to go to for this is "Gun Facts". http://www.gunfacts.info/

They have lots of information there. In response, although it only says Florida, I believe it's pretty accurate nationwide.

FACT: Crime rates involving gun owners with carry permits have consistently been about 0.02% of carry permit holders since Florida's right-to-carry law started in 1989 (Florida Department of Justice, 1998)

And that's all crimes, not just violent crimes.

Kelly J

imported post

gregma wrote:
How many people with permits actually commit violent crimes with their legally owned, legally carried firearms!? If someone can find some numbers, I would love to see them.
A great site to go to for this is "Gun Facts". http://www.gunfacts.info/

They have lots of information there. In response, although it only says Florida, I believe it's pretty accurate nationwide.

FACT: Crime rates involving gun owners with carry permits have consistently been about 0.02% of carry permit holders since Florida's right-to-carry law started in 1989 (Florida Department of Justice, 1998)

And that's all crimes, not just violent crimes.
That pretty much is what I had heard, and to be honest this really did not supprise me none, Law abiding people don't commit crimes as a general rule of thumb.

ijusam

imported post

Kelly J wrote:
“D. C. Mayor Adrian Fenty does not see guns the way our Founders did. In his view, they are not tools for defending individual liberty, they are instruments of criminality...
Of course that dosen't compare to all the crimes in DC committed with a pen