• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Loaning a weapon

Bolt06

imported post

I have a friend that is fully licensed to own and carry a firearm but is still looking for his first one. Is it legal to loan him a personal handgun of my own until he is able to purchase his own? I am trying to get him onto the OC side of life but I wanted to check first so I don't get trampled for it.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Bolt06 wrote:
I have a friend that is fully licensed to own . . . a firearm
There is no "license to own" a gun in PA.

See below, appearing at http://www.acslpa.org/pa_uniform_firearms_act.htm:

§6115. Loans on, or Lending or Giving Firearms Prohibited.]

(a) Offense defined.—No person shall make any loan secured by mortgage, deposit or pledge of a firearm, nor, except as pro­vided in subsection (b), shall any person lend or give a firearm to another or otherwise deliver a firearm contrary to the provisions of this subchapter.]

(b) Exception.—]

(1) Subsection (a) shall not apply if any of the following apply:]

(i) The person who receives the firearm is licensed to carry a firearm under section 6109 (relating to licenses).]

(ii) The person who receives the firearm is exempt from licensing.]

(iii) The person who receives the firearm is engaged in a hunter safety program certified by the Pennsylvania Game Commission or a firearm training program or competition sanctioned or approved by the National Rifle Association

(iv) The person who receives the firearm meets all of the following]

(A) Is under 18 years of age.]

(B) Pursuant to section 6110.1 (relating to possession of firearm by minor) is under the supervision, guidance and instruc­tion (if a responsible individual who.]

(I) is ‘21 years of age or older; and]

(II) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm tinder section 6105 (relating to persons not to possess, use, man­ufacture, control, sell or transfer firearms)]

(v) The person who receives the firearm is lawfully hunting or trapping and is in compliance with the provisions of Title 34 (relating to game)]

(vi) A bank or other chartered lending institution is able to adequately secure firearms in its possession.]

(2) Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit the transfer of a firearm under 20 Pa CS. Ch. 21 (relating to inter­state succession) or by bequest if the individual receiving the firearm is not precluded from owning or possessing a firearm under section 6105]

(3) Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit the loaning or giving of a firearm to another in one’s dwelling or place of business if the firearm is retained within the dwelling or place of business.]

Bolt06

imported post

thank you.. I did miss type "licensed to own" part,i meant that he has a CCWlicense and haspassed the background checks. and thanksso much for the info. itwas most helpful.

DJ TURNz

imported post

Remember, there is no legal definition of "loan" stating a length of time.

I got that from Steve in PA. Not an exact quote of course.

Steve in PA

imported post

DJ TURNz wrote:
Remember, there is no legal definition of "loan" stating a length of time.

I got that from Steve in PA. Not an exact quote of course.
Close enough. But correct, as there is nothing that says how long it can be loaned. A day, week, month, year?????

Bolt06

imported post

Steve in PAwrote
A day, week, month, year?????
I loan it for about two months at a time.. I get it back to go shooting at the range.:monkey

Parts of this bulletin board may not function unless you enable JavaScript (also called Active Scripting) in your browser.

Steve in PA

imported post

Perfectly legal, as long as the other spouse can own/possess a handgun.

There is no transfer between spouses. My wife (who does have a license to carry) can carry any handgun that I own or bought.

DJ TURNz

imported post

Ok so I guess you couldn't loan a gun to someone with out an LTCF so that they could open carry?

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Open carry is not mentioned at all in the Uniform Firearms Act, so for the purposes of loaning a firearm it doesn't exist. In short, if you're going to lend a firearm to anyone, they have to have an LTCF. How they decide to carry the firearm is a personal decision, but is totally separate from the lending provisions of the law.