• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

happened to me...

marine dad

imported post

well, i decided to post my account of a firearm saving my butt. 18 years ago i was driving a truck making local deliveries. the truck yard was in a very high crime part of town, so although my state didn't allow cc at the time, ( it does now )i chose to be responsible for my own well-being, and carried a 1911 c&l. on this particular morning, i left the yard in my truck around 5:30 am. i stopped at the store about 4 blocks up the street from my terminal, and went inside for coffe and a snack. the only people inside the store were the cashier and three young males. i made my selection and went to the counter to pay. two of the young men finished paying and went out the door, leaving one guy still in front of me at the counter. i don't remember his purchase total, but it was a few dollars and change. he turned to me and in a very bossy manner said: " yo man, let me hold a dollar." i tried to pretend i didn't hear him, so he rather loudly repeated : "yo man. let me have a dollar." i told him that i didn't have any money to give him. he glared at me for maybe 5 seconds, and said: " you aint gonna give me a dollar?" to which i replied: " i don't know you, and i have no money to give you."

at this point, he pulled more money from his pocket and finished his purchase. as he stepped away from the counter, and i moved forward to pay, he turned to me, grabbed his crotch, and said: "s**k on this mf-er"

being somewhat young and dumb at the time, i flipped him off as he went out the door, and payed for my purchase. ( i know, i know, it was stupid and probably escalated the situation ) as i went out the door of the store, i had to cross about 50ft to get to my truck, and the car with this guy and his two friends in it was between the storefront and my truck. as i left the store, they began to yell and curse at me, which i attempted to ignore. when i was about halfway to my truck, they all three came out of the car. i admit it, i RAN. i went around the front of my truck, and they in turn came around the back of my truck and towards me. somehow i got the door unlocked, climbed up, and was turning to close the door behind me when they arrived at the door and grabbed it to keep me from closing it. honestly, i don't conciously remember pulling the 1911, but the guy from the store stepped up on the steps of the truck as if to enter the truck, and i gave him a little push in the forhead with the business end of the colt. the look on his face was priceless, i have to say. the two guys on the ground saw the gun and ran, the guy on the steps of the truck said: "man, don't shoot me."

i said: " get off my truck." he backed away and climbed down slowly and carefully, and i pushed the air brake off and got out of there. i smoked at the time, and about a mile down the road i tried to light a cigarette and literally had to pull over to light it because my hands were shaking so bad. this is the only time i've ever had to pull a gun on someone, but i have often wondered what would have happened had i not been armed.

marine dad

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Ah it would have been even better if when you had the gun to his head you said "Yo, man let me hold a dollar!"

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

marine dad wrote:
well, i decided to post my account of a firearm saving my butt. 18 years ago i was driving a truck making local deliveries. the truck yard was in a very high crime part of town, so although my state didn't allow cc at the time, ( it does now )i chose to be responsible for my own well-being, and carried a 1911 c&l. on this particular morning, i left the yard in my truck around 5:30 am. i stopped at the store about 4 blocks up the street from my terminal, and went inside for coffe and a snack. the only people inside the store were the cashier and three young males. i made my selection and went to the counter to pay. two of the young men finished paying and went out the door, leaving one guy still in front of me at the counter. i don't remember his purchase total, but it was a few dollars and change. he turned to me and in a very bossy manner said: " yo man, let me hold a dollar." i tried to pretend i didn't hear him, so he rather loudly repeated : "yo man. let me have a dollar." i told him that i didn't have any money to give him. he glared at me for maybe 5 seconds, and said: " you aint gonna give me a dollar?" to which i replied: " i don't know you, and i have no money to give you."

at this point, he pulled more money from his pocket and finished his purchase. as he stepped away from the counter, and i moved forward to pay, he turned to me, grabbed his crotch, and said: "s**k on this mf-er"

being somewhat young and dumb at the time, i flipped him off as he went out the door, and payed for my purchase. ( i know, i know, it was stupid and probably escalated the situation ) as i went out the door of the store, i had to cross about 50ft to get to my truck, and the car with this guy and his two friends in it was between the storefront and my truck. as i left the store, they began to yell and curse at me, which i attempted to ignore. when i was about halfway to my truck, they all three came out of the car. i admit it, i RAN. i went around the front of my truck, and they in turn came around the back of my truck and towards me. somehow i got the door unlocked, climbed up, and was turning to close the door behind me when they arrived at the door and grabbed it to keep me from closing it. honestly, i don't conciously remember pulling the 1911, but the guy from the store stepped up on the steps of the truck as if to enter the truck, and i gave him a little push in the forhead with the business end of the colt. the look on his face was priceless, i have to say. the two guys on the ground saw the gun and ran, the guy on the steps of the truck said: "man, don't shoot me."

i said: " get off my truck." he backed away and climbed down slowly and carefully, and i pushed the air brake off and got out of there. i smoked at the time, and about a mile down the road i tried to light a cigarette and literally had to pull over to light it because my hands were shaking so bad. this is the only time i've ever had to pull a gun on someone, but i have often wondered what would have happened had i not been armed.

HankT's Postulate of Self-Defense: It is a bad strategy to shoot an unarmed person.

18 years ago, it was even more true.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Ignore hank. He see's fresh meat and pounces is all. Don't bother replying it's a trap. We all already know you didn't shoot, and we also know defending yourself by "brandishing" a firearm while cornered against an angry adversary is A-OK. Regardless of what Hankey says.

tarzan1888

imported post

HankT wrote:
HankT's Postulate of Self-Defense: It is a bad strategy to shoot an unarmed person.

Tarzan's Postulate of Self-Defense: I feared for my life. I stopped the threat. My attorney will answer all other questions.

18 years ago, it was just as true as it is today.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Three against one. Nope, no "disparity of force" there, right Hank? And they were so pleasant, gracious and passive that Marine Dad had no reason at all to fear "grave bodily harm" or worse.

RIIIIIGHT! :banghead:

Ghettokracker71

imported post

Man, I'm glad you lived through it. Being that I have a temper, when he said don't shoot me,I probable would have asked him WHY NOT MAN HUH WHERES MY F*CKING DOLLAR B*TCH or something...lol.

At the end of the day, you walked away alife

PT111

imported post

Ghettokracker71 wrote:
Man, I'm glad you lived through it. Being that I have a temper, when he said don't shoot me,I probable would have asked him WHY NOT MAN HUH WHERES MY F*CKING DOLLAR B*TCH or something...lol.

But then he would have you arrested for armed robbery.:what: :cuss:Youwould beholding a gun on him and demanding a dollar. :lol::p

Ghettokracker71

imported post

PT111 wrote:
Ghettokracker71 wrote:

But then he would have you arrested for armed robbery.:what: :cuss:Youwould beholding a gun on him and demanding a dollar. :lol::p
Oh damn...:uhoh::uhoh: LOL I didnt think about that

DrewGunner

imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
HankT wrote:

Tarzan's Postulate of Self-Defense: I feared for my life. I stopped the threat. My attorney will answer all other questions.

18 years ago, it was just as true as it is today.
Thats right. Does take a gun to kill somebody or seroius injure them.

Uncle Giggles

imported post

kle wrote:
"hold a dollar"...eh? What's $1.00 of .45ACP? Like 3 rounds now-a-days, right?
OOOooooo! Sounds that guy would've got one helluva deal! :D

(kidding of course)
:D

Well done Marine! Seems like you are one of the good CCW'ers who only use their un as a LAST resort, not as a negotiating tool right from the start.
Good story.