• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AK/pistol class with former SFOD-D Larry Vickers.

Bulldog1967

imported post

Well, the wife got me what I wanted for my 40th B-day:

This last weekend I went down to South Hill Virginia to train with former Delta Force Operator Larry Vickers:

http://www.vickerstactical.com/about/military.htm

It was hot as hell, but it was BY FAR the best firearms training I have gone through, including Blackwater.

Main points covered were shooting on the move, malfunction drills, and transition to pistol from the AK drills.

Accuracy was paramount, and Larry, whose Vickers Tactical mantra is "Speed is fine - accuracy is final", accepted nothing less than "in the black" as acceptable at all QCB distances we shot at.

And just to prove a point to the AK naysayers who say that it isn't an accuarte gun, at least 1/3 of the class shot a chest size steel plate at 200 yards....with open sights.

The highlight of the class, for me anyway was when Larry allowed us to style="font-size: 11px; font-family: tahoma,sans-serif;"shoot a WWII German Sturmgewer MP-43. It just does NOT get any cooler!

I HIGHLY reccomend a practical class such as this one for EVERYONE. Shooting at the range at paper targets DOES NOT make you ready for deploying your platform in a hostile environment.

Photos:

DSC00032B-1.jpg

DSC00033B.jpg

DSC00034.jpg

DSC00036.jpg

DSC00037.jpg

DSC00079B.jpg

DSC00040B.jpg

DSC00090.jpg

DSC00091B.jpg

DSC00093B.jpg

DSC00139.jpg

DSC00142.jpg

DSC00144.jpg

DSC00145.jpg

DSC00146B.jpg

Shooting the
Sturmgewehr.

DSC00124.jpg

DSC00125.jpg

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Pretty sweet gift. I'll have to make a note of that class for future training.

Bulldog1967

imported post

unrequited wrote:
Looks like it was a LOT of fun. If there was one tip you could give from the class what would it be?

That learning to shoot on the move and CONSISTENTLY hit the black while doing so is the only way to reliably ensure you won't end up dead in a real shootout. Period.

Bulldog1967

imported post

docwatson wrote:
Did you turn him onto VCDL and OC.org??
The only time we discussed it was when I OC'd during dinner at Cracker Barrel. he asked why I OC'd, and I mentioned I only do during the hot summer months when it is is impractical to CCW. He nodded an mentioned that it made sense then. Otherwise he and Dave P. were of the opinion that you give up alot tactically when CCW is a viable option.