• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2 incidents a buddy of mine had

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

This is something that happened to a friend of mine when we were working for a security company. This friend is a graduate of the POST academy in Alameda County, but for some reason decided he didn't want to be a LEO (something about not wanting to spend his first year working lockup). To protect his identity, I'll refer to him as "Bob."

While doing a routine patrol at an apartment building, Bob found a door to one an onsite commercial building unlocked. The employees had a bad habit of leaving the door unlocked, so this wasn't too much of a red flag. Once inside, Bob turned a corner and found a guy hunched next to a badly battered vending maching. The guy had his hands behind his back.

Seeing the battered vending machine, Bob assumed the guy had a weapon, and ordered him to stop and show his hands. The guy pulled out a crow bar, and said, something to the effect of, 'I'm getting out of here and you're not going to stop me," then started moving towards Bob. Bob drew his firearm and pointed it at the guy, who immediately stopped and laid down on the floor as instructed.

Now, the funny part of this story: the location where this occurred is literally right across the street from this city's police department HQ. So, there's cops driving by like every 5 minutes. Not sure what this guy was thinking, but at least he was bright enough to know when he was beat.

The guy was charged with commercial burglary, vandalism, drug charges, and some other smaller charges. It also turns out the guy had a warrent already for felony probation violation for assault with a deadly weapon against a LEO.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

The second incident, which happened less than 6 months later, occurred at a shopping center.

While making his usual rounds, "Bob" noticed a man yelling at the clerk in a cigarette shop. Bob decided to step inside to make sure everything was OK. The guy yelling at the clerk turned around and brandished a box cutter.

Bob was carrying his firearm at this time, but the clerk was right behind this madman. So, Bob drew and readied his asp (baton) instead. This guy was not as bright as the guy in the first story. He charged with the knife held out in front of him!

Bob swung and hit the guy in the hand and wrist, disarming the crazy guy. However, the guy continued his charge, and proceeded to grapple with Bob. Bob and the clerk overpowered the guy, got him cuffed, and had police and EMS respond.

The guy had several broken bones in his hand and wrist. He was on methamphetamine, and apparently didn't even feel the pain. It turns out that he had been recently released earlier that day from the behavioral health center across the street.

MetalChris

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
Sounds a lot like the neighborhood where I work. Lots of homeless/druggie/crazy people about. Hence why I wish I could carry to work.
Ick...I wouldn't want to spend much time in Tacoma unarmed either...

compmanio365

imported post

Actually, I take the train into downtown Seattle. Believe it or not, that area is worse than much of Tacoma.....I have spent time in the Hilltop neighborhood and felt less apprehension than in the international district in Seattle.

Drewesque

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
Now, the funny part of this story: the location where this occurred is literally right across the street from this city's police department HQ. So, there's cops driving by like every 5 minutes. Not sure what this guy was thinking, but at least he was bright enough to know when he was beat.
If you're going to do something, that's the place you'll be least expected to do it. And the cops are usually not on their toes near the station. The guy might've been thinking more clearly than you'd think.