• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

FL Man Shoots/Kills Man In Self-Defense

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Well, if it's all on video, then this ought to be pretty straightforward case. I don't know why the reporters fail to specify a cruciall piece of information in these cases: was the shooter/defender legally carrying?

One can kinda guess that this guy was legal, otherwise there should be some mention of charges being filed for an offense.

I hope it's a good (justifiable) shoot.

I like the flat reporting of this incident. The reporter writes it pretty straight.

Mandarin Slaying Possibly Self Defense
Gunman Cooperating With Investigators

August 6, 2007

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- A 26-year-old man died Sunday night after he was shot inside a Mandarin convenience store and homicide detectives are trying to determine if the shooting was in self defense.

Police responding to a report of a gunshot at the BP gas station at the corner of Old St. Augustine and Losco roads about 9:45 p.m. found Isaiah Williams lying on the ground. He transported to Shands-Jacksonville Medical Center, where he died a shot time later.

The store clerk told Channel 4's John Dunlap that the shooting followed a confrontation that began with Williams cursing a man in line behind them.

"He went out and he came back with a friend," BP manager Reddy Kandala said. "That time, there was a fight."

Kandala said the shooter, whose name was not released by police, told Williams and his friends he had a gun. Kandala said Williams left the store again, but when he entered for a third time, he was shot.

The gunman is cooperating with police and the entire incident was recorded by surveillance cameras. Police and the state attorneys office will review the evidence and witness statements to decide if the shooting was in self defense or if the gunman should be charged with a crime.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/13832955/detail.html

GreatWhiteLlama

imported post

HankT wrote:
Well, if it's all on video, then this ought to be pretty straightforward case. I don't know why the reporters fail to specify a cruciall piece of information in these cases: was the shooter/defender legally carrying?
Would it still be a self defense situation if he was not?

I would think that if he was not legally carrying, but the shooting was ruled self defense, then he should only receive an "unlawful possession" charge.

Wish they showed the video...

xmirage2kx

imported post

HankT wrote:
Police responding to a report of a gunshot at the BP gas station at the corner of Old St. Augustine and Losco roads about 9:45 p.m. found Isaiah Williams lying on the ground. He transported to Shands-Jacksonville Medical Center, where he died a shot (Short) time later.

Great editing done by our wonderful media..

Wonder what they were thinking....:question: