Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost my open carry virginity about a week ago.

Post imported post

Walked into the Wal-Mart on Iron Bridge Road in Chesterfield with my brand new XD45 and went to buy a prepaid cell phone. Got a few looks, but it was all in all a non-event. I like to think of myself as a calm person most of the time, but I was nervous as hell, and I felt like I had a howitzer strapped to my side. Since then, I've carried into several places, including the Sheetz near Broad and Glenside in Richmond (there was a Brinks armored van driver inside, unloading stuff and looking at me suspiciously), Jiffy Lube on Iron Bridge in Chesterfield, and the Advance Auto Parts in Chesterfield.

Additionally, props to the Chesterfield County LEOs. I was at Commonwealth 20 to see the Simpsons movie, and two of them walked past me without a word or a second glance. Did a lot to boost my confidence and assure me that I was in the right.

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

armedinrichmond wrote:
    Walked into the Wal-Mart on Iron Bridge Road in Chesterfield with my brand new XD45 and went to buy a prepaid cell phone. Got a few looks, but it was all in all a non-event. I like to think of myself as a calm person most of the time, but I was nervous as hell, and I felt like I had a howitzer strapped to my side. Since then, I've carried into several places, including the Sheetz near Broad and Glenside in Richmond (there was a Brinks armored van driver inside, unloading stuff and looking at me suspiciously), Jiffy Lube on Iron Bridge in Chesterfield, and the Advance Auto Parts in Chesterfield.

Additionally, props to the Chesterfield County LEOs. I was at Commonwealth 20 to see the Simpsons movie, and two of them walked past me without a word or a second glance. Did a lot to boost my confidence and assure me that I was in the right.
    HOOAH! Welcome to the crowd.

It gets easier. Really, it does.

Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Post imported post

armedinrichmond wrote:

Sweet welcome! Sounds like alot of places I frequent! Well at least used to frequent the broad/glenside sheetz about everynight at 2-4AM. I'll be soon buying my first case of ammmo while open carrying in the chester walmart,so wish me luck.

You should see if you can come to the OC dinner at Pinos in meadowdale on my birthday:celebrate

Post imported post

Just a heads up; some Walmarts have been know to refuse to sell ammunition while someone is OCing. Hopefully this doesn't happen with you, but it's nice to know what they could do before you go. A Gander Mountain employee didn't like the idea of me buying ammo while OCing, but he did sell to me. (Quit buying ammo there anyway; WAY too expensive!)

Post imported post

Weclome to the club! :celebrate

Glad it was a non-event

Post imported post

Maybe there should be a separate thread (like the restaurant thread) for all the first timers to read and share stories over.

My general advice:

1) Wear proper attire.

2) Have a mature and pleasant demeanor (smile!).

3) Respond to people in a calm, reasonable, non-confrontational manner.

4) Remember that what you are doing is COMPLETELY LEGAL. You are not doing anything wrong! (read this again)

5) Consider going to a local OCDO dinner.

Post imported post

It is agreat, the feeling of FREEDOM!!!

Post imported post

New here.

I just startedabout a month agoOCing myself here in Hampton/ NN. Mainly when Ihave to stop some where after workand my attire will not allow me to CC, but noe the less. I felt the same as I'm sure most of us feel the first time. It's been alot easier since, even got through my first LEO encounter. They questioned why I was OC'ing took/checked my weapon adn ID, then allowed me to carry on. I know that this was the first and possibly the easiest of LEO encounters, I' well prepared for whats down the road.

About the OC dinner, I would be up for one if it was planned. Is there anyone that normally calls these things? Has there been one in Hampton recently?

Post imported post

Welcome to the OC world.

The Tidewater area group has a dinner get-to-gether about once a month. Nothing formal - just a bunch of us getting together at various places for dinner. Wives / significant others are always welcome and many attend. The next dinner is this Wednesday - 8 August. We normally meet right outside the restaurant around 6:45 or so, with sitting down planned for 7:00 PM. It's not hard to find us - bunch of guys / ladies all OC'ing.

Here's the restuarant for Weds. dinner and the menu.

Vinny's Pizza and Pasta

748 J. Clyde Morris Blvd.
    Newport News, VA23601
    Phone: (757) 594-3354

http://www.restaurants.com/US/Detail...4&MenuNo=2

Post imported post

That's right around the corner. I'll try and convince the wife. Thanks.

Post imported post

Do whatever you need to so your wife will come along - especially if she questions you carrying. After a couple of OC dinners, my wife is coming around nicely. Lucky for me I can still out-shoot her, but probably not for long. Having families along at the dinners helps to put the sheep at ease a little more, IMO.

Post imported post

That reminds me, who all is planning to come to the dinner tomorrow night at Vinnie's?

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
    Maybe there should be a separate thread (like the restaurant thread) for all the first timers to read and share stories over.

My general advice:

1) Wear proper attire.

2) Have a mature and pleasant demeanor (smile!).

3) Respond to people in a calm, reasonable, non-confrontational manner.

4) Remember that what you are doing is COMPLETELY LEGAL. You are not doing anything wrong! (read this again)

5) Consider going to a local OCDO dinner.
    Yes, I agree. As for proper attire, I would say jeans and a golf shirt or even a T-shirt are Ok as long as you don't look slovenly. Even shorts are fine but again, use taste.

As for your list (which I agree with), I would add the following;

6) Don't fidgit with your piece or holster (as in, don't be moving it around and positioning it). This looks like you're trying to draw attention to your firearm.

7) Don't keep looking at it, especially when passing mirrors or reflective glass.

8) Try to be extra pleasant and nice (good for all of us).

One thing I've found is interesting. If you carry a handgun that looks like one which the general population believes police to use, and in a holster which might be one which police would use as well, you might be taken for an LEO. Mine you, this by no means implies that you would be impersonating an officer, but rather carrying equipment which could be construed by the public as being LEO-type weaponry. This could help reduce public concerns or worries. Incidently, I only offer this suggestion if you carry in an area known or believed to be perhaps a little negative or hostile to citizens carrying firearms. I don't live in such an area so this is not a concern for me.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
    ...SNIP
    One thing I've found is interesting. If you carry a handgun that looks like one which the general population believes police to use, and in a holster which might be one which police would use as well, you might be taken for an LEO. SNIP...
    So ... What are you saying? A scoped super redhawk in a chest holster is not a reasonable carry for polite society?

Regards
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Post imported post

I'm 90% sure that I'l be there, buy I'm also 100% sure that my wife won't. I'm going ask another friend of mine that has never OC'ed to come along.

Post imported post

You’ll get the same sort of feeling the first time you wear your utilikilt. Then, when you’re ready, wear your utilikilt and open carry. You’ll tingle!

Post imported post

armedinrichmond wrote:

I was nervous my first few times too. I felt like I was being watched. You'll get used to it. Flex those rights, amigo!

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
    SouthernBoy wrote:
    ...SNIP
    One thing I've found is interesting. If you carry a handgun that looks like one which the general population believes police to use, and in a holster which might be one which police would use as well, you might be taken for an LEO. SNIP...
    So ... What are you saying? A scoped super redhawk in a chest holster is not a reasonable carry for polite society?

Regards
    Interesting. I have a Redhawk with the 5 1/2" barrel. I have done a little tuning on it, among a few other niceties. But for CC or OC?? Only when I hunted and then it was always OC.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

GLOCK.45Guy wrote:
    New here.

I just startedabout a month agoOCing myself here in Hampton/ NN. Mainly when Ihave to stop some where after workand my attire will not allow me to CC, but noe the less. I felt the same as I'm sure most of us feel the first time. It's been alot easier since, even got through my first LEO encounter. They questioned why I was OC'ing took/checked my weapon adn ID, then allowed me to carry on. I know that this was the first and possibly the easiest of LEO encounters, I' well prepared for whats down the road.

About the OC dinner, I would be up for one if it was planned. Is there anyone that normally calls these things? Has there been one in Hampton recently?
    Why did you let the cops check out your weapon and your ID? If you read alot of the older post you will find tha tyou have NO reason to show your ID or hand over your weapon if you are just walking about minding your own. In a car...thats different, but you do NOT have to show your ID or relenquish your gun while walking through walmart. This is called police harrassment and unless they have "Reasonable suspicion" that you committed a crime, were committing a crime or were about to commit a crime then they have no reason to stop you at all. Heres what you do.

When the officer starts to talk to you (acting like your friend) then asks "Can i see your ID?"

You ask him "Am i being detained or arrested?"

If he says no, then say have a nice day and be on your way.

If he says yes, then ask him what for, and if he goes so far as to cuff you or arrest you well then you have a good 4th ammendment violation suit my friend.

Any one think i wrote this wrong?

Post imported post

Mainsail wrote:
    You’ll get the same sort of feeling the first time you wear your utilikilt.* Then, when you’re ready, wear your utilikilt and open carry.* You’ll tingle!
    Bad mental image, bad mental image!

Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Every time I read the title of this thread I have to chuckle.

I didn't loose my virginity, I left it exactly where I wanted to. :celebrate

LoveMyCountry

Post imported post

Lol this really makes me want to rock a kilt when OCing...man, I think thats a little too much attention though. People will think I am irish mafia

Post imported post

I was a bit unclear on the protocol for showing Identification even while minding my own. At that point,I have yet to read through any of these post, I just started this week.

Post imported post

Ghettokracker71 wrote:
    Lol this really makes me want to rock a kilt when OCing...man, I think thats a little too much attention though. People will think I am irish mafia
    And what's the problem with that?

Then pull off the coat and roll up the sleeve,
    For Bayard is a hard street to travel;
    So pull off the coat and roll up the sleeve,
    The Bloody Sixth is a hard ward to travel I believe.

Like wild dogs they did fight,
    this Fourth of July night,
    Of course they laid their plans accordin';
    Some were wounded and some killed,
    and lots of blood spill'd,
    In the fight on the other side of Jordan.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

GLOCK.45Guy wrote:
    New here.

I see a can of worms here. First the LE had no reason to stop you, check your weapon or ID - this constitutes a Terry stop. I would file a formal complaint with the local dept. and expect at the very least a formal apology.
    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast