• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC is it only Residents only

vrwmiller

imported post

OC is permitted for everyone not exempted by federal law, which would include the likes of convicted felons and what not.

jbobmurph

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
Anyone who can legallybuy a handgun may OC.
Slight correction here - anyone who can legally OWN a handgun may OC; the big category included here that comes to mind are those aged 18-20, but there might be others.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Exercising a right is generally not dependent on state residence, with the obvious exception of voting. Visitors to Virginia can exercise freedom of speech, religion, assembly, etc., and no one would consider them to be second-class citizens. There is no law forbidding OC, therefore the practice is based on a right, not a statute.

Of course, you have to follow federal guidelines and not carry in a school, courthouse, or restricted Federal property.

Welcome to the Commonwealth of Virgina. I think you'll like it here, sir!

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Texasdoc wrote:
I am moving to the State from Texas and was wondering do you have to be a resident to OC or can anyone doing it ??

Texasdoc

Welcome to VA, Texadoc.

We moved here about 5 years ago from San Antonio. Hope you enjoy it!

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Welcome to the birthplace of America! We Virginia (natives in particular) are quite proud to call ourselves Virginians and Southerners (as I expect you do, too - Southerner, that is). You will find that Virginia is quite gun-friendly and is probably the most lenient state in the South in terms of guns and their carry.

Anyway, welcome aboard and I do hope you enjoy your stay.

TEX1N

imported post

Texasdoc wrote:
I am moving to the State from Texas and was wondering do you have to be a resident to OC or can anyone doing it ??

Texasdoc
Don't do it doc...just don't do it! ;)

In all seriousness, welcome to OCDO and to VA. It may not be TX, but the gun laws are better here (surprisingly enough).

Texasdoc

imported post

Thank you all , I OC'ed at the Girlfriend work yesterday and I was Suprises how much no one looked and pointed.

Does a Day care count as a School?? and is there any other places that you can't carry openly , I do have qa CHL from Texas and will be using it alot as I am not sure of the placs that I am going.

Again Thank you for the warm welcome and I hope to be out and about OC and having fun in your Great State .

Doc

KentuckyLongRifle

imported post

TexasDoc I noticed that you are a wildlife biologist.I was wondering if you are here in Virginia too?I have a friend that does that also and he really likes his job.I was thinking about majoring in wildlife biology and was thinking maybe you could give me a few tips on good schools and if it is easy to find work when I graduate?any help is appreciated

ChinChin

imported post

Welcome Doc!

You'll find that more then not, OC of a firearm has become common place and most people don't bat an eye. A few nervous nelleys aside, you'll be fine.

Our weather sucks, too many don't know how to drive through it, distance is measured in commute time rather then miles, Politics is discussed everywhere, "NOVA" is everything Fredrisksburg and North, "SOVA" is everything South of Fredricksburg, avoid inner-city Richmond if at all possible, its "Soda" here not "Pop", and during the summer. . .the humidity is something you'll come to despise.

Welcome to the O.C. (Original Commonwealth)

ilikeglocks

imported post

You'll live VA a lot .. I take every opportunity I can to spend my money in the great state and hope to move into it at some poin in the game. I live in the most gun-controlled state around, so its nice to go to a state where I can exercise my rights.

bayboy42

imported post

KentuckyLongRifle wrote:
TexasDoc I noticed that you are a wildlife biologist.I was wondering if you are here in Virginia too?I have a friend that does that also and he really likes his job.I was thinking about majoring in wildlife biology and was thinking maybe you could give me a few tips on good schools and if it is easy to find work when I graduate?any help is appreciated
DON'T major in wildlife biology! Wan't more information, send me a personal message and I'll send you all the info you'd ever want to know. And welcome to the forum!!

KentuckyLongRifle

imported post

Yowsa, perhaps I asked the wrong man for information about wildlife biology.TexasDoc no need to reply to my questions.I will find a biologist somewhere else or ask bayboy42.Those are some irate people you have made mad by the looks of this Aggie persons post.:shock: