• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC is it only Residents only

Thundar

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
Anyone who can legallybuy a handgun may OC.

NSL that is not accurate.

It should be anyone who can legally own a handgun. My son is 19 and cannot legally purchase a handgun, nut he can own and open carry the handgun.

Ghettokracker71

imported post

Thundar wrote:
nakedshoplifter wrote:

It should be anyone who can legally own a handgun. My son is 19 and cannot legally purchase a handgun, nut he can own and open carry the handgun.
He can legally purchase a handgun from a private party.

He cannot legally purchase a handgun from a licensed FFL dealer.

Would be a stupid law to be able to possess something w/out anymeans of being able to obtain it.

nova

imported post

And not only that, but he can't buy ammo for his handgun either. Unless of course it is "for a rifle"
Though I usually just get my ammo through the same means of my guns, from family :)

But there is no such thing as a "straw purchase" of ammo, is there? ;)

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

nova wrote:
And not only that, but he can't buy ammo for his handgun either. Unless of course it is "for a rifle"
Though I usually just get my ammo through the same means of my guns, from family :)

Don't give them any ideas....

Ghettokracker71

imported post

nova wrote:

It is kind of silly, you can at 18 legally purchase 9mm, .40S&W, and etc carbines(from a licensed FFL DEALER),but how many shops are honestly going to sell you the ammunition for your legally owned and obtained weapon?

Bubba Ron

imported post

Texasdoc wrote:
I am moving to the State from Texas and was wondering do you have to be a resident to OC or can anyone doing it ??
There is one other category of person who cannot have a handgun:

Nonimmigrant Status

On October 22, 1998, as part of the Omnibus Consolidated Emergency Supplemental Appropriations Act of 1999, Pub. L. 105-277, Congress amended the Gun Control Act by creating, with certain exceptions, a new category of persons prohibited from shipping, transporting, receiving, and possessing firearms: any alien "who has been admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa." This prohibition applies to "any alien in the United States in a nonimmigrant status." There are exceptions to the nonimmigrant alien provision. A nonimmigrant alien is not prohibited from purchasing, receiving, or possessing a firearm if the alien: (1) is in possession of a hunting license or permit lawfully issued in the United States; (2) is an official representative of a foreign government who is accredited to the United States Government or their Government's mission to an international organization having its headquarters in the United States; or (3) has received a waiver from the prohibition form the Attorney General of the United States.

There also is a process for nonimmigrant aliens to petition the Justice Department to waive the prohibition. Individuals should contact the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms if you have questions about the prohibition, its exceptions, or the waiver process.

I know this does not apply to you Texasdoc, however, I have a friend from Iceland who is here on a student visa and it DOES apply to him.

IanB

imported post

Thundar wrote:
nakedshoplifter wrote:

Correct you are. Thanks for pointing that out. I don't have any relatives or kids so I didn't think of that one.