Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tactical flashlight

Alexandria (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA

Post imported post

This morning, my apartment security hallway/stairs and outside light went out. I leave for the metro at 0520. I opened my door and it was dark asall beejesus like in the woods can't see nothing.:what: I had my gun on me in my paddle hoster for my walk to my car likeevery morning.So I immediately back up insideand closed and locked the door behind me, thenretreated to a light switch not knowing what wasgoing on outside. This was a first for the security lights to be out and they are remotely controlled to come on at dusk and stay on until sun up. So I put my gun in Condition One in my holster (a first). Hell I didn't have a flashlight in the house, its in the car. So I eased in the dark slowly out my door, locked it behind me and eased myhand on my gunup the stairs since I'm on a bottom floorapartment and out the door and it was still dark as allhell. Some of the adjacent building security light were out. Got to my car, locked the door and drove off. But my situational awareness was so heigthen now sinced I OC and CC now and this error of not being preparedshook and scared me. SoI got me asurelighet tactical hand heldlight now after workand I'm wishing I had a light mounted on my carry now. Do anyof you carry with tactical lights or your opinion of value to have one mounted.

Post imported post

I have sveral Surefire 6Ps sprinkled throughout the house. One in each car, and one one the motorcycle.

The only time the M&P gets a mounted X200 light is when I go to bed. I don't like having to point my gun at someone unless I'm ready to shoot them.

Otherwise I also carry a 6P on my belt when going outside at night.

Also, look into getting a cree upgrade, as it siginificantly increases the brightness of your surefire.

I also picked up this bad boy last week, and it is BRIGHT:

http://batteryjunction.com/lumapower-mrv.html

I bought the recharger and rechargeable batteries to go with it.

In my mind, a dependable tactical flashlight is neccessary equipment inlow light situations.

Post imported post

Ick makes me glas I have cat-eyes, then.

Too bad I can't see when it's light out.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Ick indeed. 'A tactical flashlight and a tactical paddle holster for your tactical gun in a tactical situation,' did you learn that at your postgraduate advanced-eXtreme CQB school for 'civilians'?

My instructor taught, 'when it's dark, keep it dark.' This is defensive pistolcraft. Don't tell the hypothetical BG where you are. The road to hell is paved with 'what-ifs.' If he's smart enough not to light up then can't you be that smart?

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA *******

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    Ick indeed. 'A tactical flashlight and a tactical paddle holster for your tactical gun in a tactical situation,' did you learn that at your postgraduate advanced-eXtreme CQB school for 'civilians'?
    No, but I choose to ID a potential threat before I shoot, if you don't then you are an idiot. Every bullet has a lawyer attached to it. Since when is training "extreme"? Would you consider IDPA "extreme" too?

Oh, I see, since that class included EVIIIIL "assault rifles". No one needs a self loading rifle I suppose?

I'll put on my duct tape for your next response Zumbo.

Post imported post

Another big fan of surefire... I can't afford the 6p's so I carry the plastic version the G2. It's just as bright, same lenses, just plastic. They can be had for $35. I am also looking at a CREE replacement, but they're also a bit of cash (same amount as the G2):
    http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?...OD&ProdID=2605
    -Unrequited

Post imported post

Batman
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

I really like Cabela's 3-watt $19.95 flashlight. 2-AA batteries, and great output! It's really a re-branded Nuwai X-3 and a review can be found at:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_x-3.htm

The flashlight itself can be found at:

http://tinyurl.com/2dpjrg

Post imported post

gregma wrote:
    I really like Cabela's 3-watt $19.95 flashlight. 2-AA batteries, and great output! It's really a re-branded Nuwai X-3 and a review can be found at:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_x-3.htm

The flashlight itself can be found at:

http://tinyurl.com/2dpjrg
    A great economical option, good find!

Post imported post

For the budget minded here is another option Inova lights(prices $18-$100)or the Pelican M3 for around $40.

If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

$40 of Pelican M3 ain't "budget minded". $35 for a Streamlight Scorpion NIB on ebay is budget minded. The scorpion is almost twice as bright as the M3 and from my experiences a great light!!

Post imported post

EBAY.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

Lowe's also has a REALLY good LED flashlight. If memory serves it is 12 or 16 watt. Only $15. I've used a few different types of lights and this is by far my favorite. Crazy bright.

Post imported post

Flashlight available

~Alan Korwin

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

http://www.opticshq.com/page/Optics/...FL-SUR-LED-G2L

This is the new G2 LED model. They just got them in stock. If you are a member athttp://www.candlepowerforums.com you will get an extra approx 24% off the normal $65.00 price, which brings it down to $49.35.

Alexandria (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Agent19 wrote:
    Commando Flashlight II Stun Gun available for only $100

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B0006BB9XK

You know I got big nightstick size maglite in my car. BUt I just don't planto have a close quarter brawl with anyone and losethat fight. Heck I don't trust tasers either. Praise the lord and pass the ammo.

Post imported post

I have no interest

~Alan Korwin

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

You really can't beat the price of the Brinkmanns. They appear similar in stats to the surefires, use the same batteries and bulb types. The only real question is how do they stand up to repeated recoil? The one I have is pretty tough and gets abused and carried fairly often. It's survived multiple drops out of the truck with ease.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

A tactical light needs to be VERY reliable, the same as a weapon, in that when you Need it, it better work. Would you trust your LIFE to a low cost gun made in china? It is worth the extra money to me, to get a quality, American Made light, that is designed to be used with a weapon. I'm not being critical of anyone, I'm just giving people something to think about when purchasing a light.

Post imported post

Agent19 wrote:
    For the budget minded here is another option Inova lights(prices $18-$100)or the Pelican M3 for around $40.

The Inova Xo flashlight is top notchI have one for the car and the house and there under $40.

http://store.botachtactical.com/inxoledfl.html
    +1 for the Inova. Pound for pound I feel it's actualy better then your standard surefire and more economical. My own opinion.
    The problem with the internet is nobody can really tell when you’re serious and when you’re being sarcastic. –Abraham Lincoln

State Researcher

Post imported post

One problem with these high power flashlights is that they can be too bright. In some situations, you need just a little help to see or the focal point is just feet or inches away and the reflected light can blind you. The light I use fits in the palm of my hand, so I have started letting my pinky curl across the lens (which blocks about 70% of the light) while my thumb controls the switch on the end cap. This allows me to vary the brightness to fit the situation.

LoveMyCountry

Post imported post

nothing is perfect.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

Thanks for the heads up on the Cree upgrades. Saves me from having to buy a ridiculously expensive LED based tactical light. Brighter plus it'll last longer on these expensive CR123A lithiums. It's in the mail.

Semper Fi.

Post imported post

PentagonLight MOLLE

Specifications
    Brightness: 40 Lumens
    Run-Time: 3 Hours
    Batteries: One AA Alkaline
    Lamp: 0.5 Watt White LED
    Filter Color: Red
    Length: 3.4" (86 mm)
    Weight: 1.5 oz. (42 g

Features
    * MOLLE PALs Webbing Compatible
    * Hands-Free Illumination
    * Rotatable Clip

Goes with me everywhere.

And I keep a 4D MagLite by the bed.

Post imported post

And I don't have to shop on EBAY

~Alan Korwin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast