• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tactical flashlight

dichamw

Alexandria (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA
imported post

This morning, my apartment security hallway/stairs and outside light went out. I leave for the metro at 0520. I opened my door and it was dark asall beejesus like in the woods can't see nothing.:what: I had my gun on me in my paddle hoster for my walk to my car likeevery morning.So I immediately back up insideand closed and locked the door behind me, thenretreated to a light switch not knowing what wasgoing on outside. This was a first for the security lights to be out and they are remotely controlled to come on at dusk and stay on until sun up. So I put my gun in Condition One in my holster (a first). Hell I didn't have a flashlight in the house, its in the car.:banghead: So I eased in the dark slowly out my door, locked it behind me and eased myhand on my gunup the stairs since I'm on a bottom floorapartment and out the door and it was still dark as allhell. Some of the adjacent building security light were out. Got to my car, locked the door and drove off. But my situational awareness was so heigthen now sinced I OC and CC now and this error of not being preparedshook and scared me. SoI got me asurelighet tactical hand heldlight now after workand I'm wishing I had a light mounted on my carry now. Do anyof you carry with tactical lights or your opinion of value to have one mounted.

Bulldog1967

imported post

I have sveral Surefire 6Ps sprinkled throughout the house. One in each car, and one one the motorcycle.

The only time the M&P gets a mounted X200 light is when I go to bed. I don't like having to point my gun at someone unless I'm ready to shoot them.

Otherwise I also carry a 6P on my belt when going outside at night.

Also, look into getting a cree upgrade, as it siginificantly increases the brightness of your surefire.

I also picked up this bad boy last week, and it is BRIGHT:

http://batteryjunction.com/lumapower-mrv.html

I bought the recharger and rechargeable batteries to go with it.

In my mind, a dependable tactical flashlight is neccessary equipment inlow light situations.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Ick indeed. 'A tactical flashlight and a tactical paddle holster for your tactical gun in a tactical situation,' did you learn that at your postgraduate advanced-eXtreme CQB school for 'civilians'?

My instructor taught, 'when it's dark, keep it dark.' This is defensive pistolcraft. Don't tell the hypothetical BG where you are. The road to hell is paved with 'what-ifs.' If he's smart enough not to light up then can't you be that smart?

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

Bulldog1967

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Ick indeed. 'A tactical flashlight and a tactical paddle holster for your tactical gun in a tactical situation,' did you learn that at your postgraduate advanced-eXtreme CQB school for 'civilians'?
No, but I choose to ID a potential threat before I shoot, if you don't then you are an idiot. Every bullet has a lawyer attached to it. Since when is training "extreme"? Would you consider IDPA "extreme" too?

Oh, I see, since that class included EVIIIIL "assault rifles". No one needs a self loading rifle I suppose?

I'll put on my duct tape for your next response Zumbo.

Marco

imported post

For the budget minded here is another option Inova lights(prices $18-$100)or the Pelican M3 for around $40.

bayboy42

imported post

$40 of Pelican M3 ain't "budget minded". $35 for a Streamlight Scorpion NIB on ebay is budget minded. The scorpion is almost twice as bright as the M3 and from my experiences a great light!!

beradcee

imported post

Lowe's also has a REALLY good LED flashlight. If memory serves it is 12 or 16 watt. Only $15. I've used a few different types of lights and this is by far my favorite. Crazy bright.

dichamw

Alexandria (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA

coltcarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

You really can't beat the price of the Brinkmanns. They appear similar in stats to the surefires, use the same batteries and bulb types. The only real question is how do they stand up to repeated recoil? The one I have is pretty tough and gets abused and carried fairly often. It's survived multiple drops out of the truck with ease.

SP101

Campaign Veteran
imported post

A tactical light needs to be VERY reliable, the same as a weapon, in that when you Need it, it better work. Would you trust your LIFE to a low cost gun made in china? It is worth the extra money to me, to get a quality, American Made light, that is designed to be used with a weapon. I'm not being critical of anyone, I'm just giving people something to think about when purchasing a light.:)

ChinChin

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
For the budget minded here is another option Inova lights(prices $18-$100)or the Pelican M3 for around $40.

The Inova Xo flashlight is top notchI have one for the car and the house and there under $40.

http://store.botachtactical.com/inxoledfl.html
+1 for the Inova. Pound for pound I feel it's actualy better then your standard surefire and more economical. My own opinion.