• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

question about open carrying, please read

napky

imported post

ive done some research on opencarry.org and have completly read http://www.ncdoj.com/DocumentStreamerClient?directory=Publications/&file=NORTHCAROLINA0FIREARMSLAWS.pdf

although this deals mainly with carrying a concealed weapon, and how you need to get a CCW to do it (obviously)

ive read many posts and it seems the general consensus is you can legally carry a pistol on your side hip without a CCW if you dont go into a liquer carrying store, or anything of the like? am i correct in this assumption? ive went to the jus.state.nc.us and the other ncdoj.com and they are very ambigious in awnsering this question.

I live in fayetteville, right next to fort bragg to be exact, its not the best kind of town, AT ALL, and i would feel much safer in being able to carry a weapon on my person

any suggestions would be greatly apprecaited! also ive just joined the armed services, i assume getting a CCW once ive finished basic training would be much easier as well? (just for notice, i am 21 years of age)

dubccat51

Opt-Out Members
imported post

You can openly carry a pistol anywhere in the state except:

a) Any law enforcement or correctional facility;

[align=left]b) Any space occupied by state or federal employees;[/align]
[align=left]c) Any premises where the carrying of a concealed handgun is prohibited by[/align]
[align=left]the posting of a statement by the controller of the premises;[/align]
[align=left]d) Educational property;[/align]
[align=left]e) Areas of assemblies, parades, funerals, or demonstrations;[/align]
[align=left]f) Places where alcoholic beverages are both sold and consumed;[/align]
[align=left]g) State occupied property;[/align]
[align=left]h) Any state or federal courthouse;[/align]
[align=left]i) In any area prohibited by federal law;[/align]
[align=left]North Carolina is fully pre-empted so the only reasonable exception to this rule would be to limit the size of the firearm that is carried openly like Chapel hill with a six inch size restriction or in a government building with posted signs. Also you can carry in a liquor store if it does not have a sign prohibiting firearms because alcoholic beverages are not consumed there and the tests and background checks for getting your concealed handgun permit are the same no matter who you are.[/align]

PavePusher

imported post

Ahh, good ol' Fayette-Nam! I was at Pope AFB for 2 1/2 years in the early 90's. Army used to have occasional drunken gun-fights outside the NCO clubs on both Pope and Bragg. They were eventually banned from the AFB clubs. Don't know if that's still in effect.

My Karate instructor used to work at alarge gun shop just off of Ft. Bragg (Joe's?). The one with an indoor range. Don't know if he's still there or not (I really should write to him), but ask for John Jackson.

Which branch did you join? Good luck and enjoy the ride!

southmedic

imported post

First off Im new to the board so sorry if this has been covered other places I just havent seen it. I have been living in NC for a year and I beging to like the idea of OC. However I have seen two different views about Section c below and wanted to clarifiy.. Is its illeagal or just agaist policy and you have to leave if asked? cause god knows that almost everywhere you go around here in the Triangle area there is a sign stating no CCW on property.

Thanks

You can openly carry a pistol anywhere in the state except:

a) Any law enforcement or correctional facility;

[align=left]b) Any space occupied by state or federal employees;[/align]

[align=left]c) Any premises where the carrying of a concealed handgun is prohibited by[/align]

[align=left]the posting of a statement by the controller of the premises;[/align]

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Signs are statements of policies, and carry no legal weight in NC. This even goes for local city parks and buildings. They can ask you to leave, but they don't have to. If they decide to, then you must leave. If you don't, you're trespassing and it goes on from there.

As far as being military, it wont effect your application for your permit either way. Just make sure you, yourself, are comfortable and confident with carrying a sidearm. Happy carrying :).