Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone carry a .380 auto

Post imported post

Like my PPK/s. Nice little gun. I like this for when I go biking or just need something small. Not as powerful as I would like but......... I guess I use more for CC than OC. Just wondered what the toughts were on the 380's I know I know just makes em mad.If you shoot good it probably won't matter all that much though.

I like the size. Maybe for more power I should check out the Kahr .40????

Post imported post

I imagine that a few shots nearly anything will ruin a bad guy's day.

Post imported post

I carry a Colt Mustang from time to time. I like it cause I can slip it into my back pocket without a problem. As to only making them mad, If your shot placement is good they won't be mad for long before those two rounds in the heart send them off to their fiery reward.

Goliath

Post imported post

hogleg wrote:
    Like my PPK/s. Nice little gun. I like this for when I go biking or just need something small. Not as powerful as I would like but......... I guess I use more for CC than OC. Just wondered what the toughts were on the 380's I know I know just makes em mad.If you shoot good it probably won't matter all that much though.

If you don't have one, then I would check out something bigger. If you do already have one then carry it.

I carried a .22 LR Auto for many years, and still do as a BUG

Post imported post

I have smaller and I have bigger. I just seem to grab this one more lately. The only .380I own and the most comfortable of my guns to carry. Got it just because it was there, under the glass looking at me.

Do they make that in a 9mm?

Post imported post

i wouldn't carry a .380, since they are usually blow back and recoil and cost more than 9mm.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

hogleg wrote:

I OC a Bersa .380. It's about the size and weight of the Walther PPK, but costs less. I like its reliability and accuracy, and 1250fps muzzle velocity makes me at least feel like I have a chance. Only 7+1, but I can carry a spare mag, and even with the spare on my belt or in my pocket I don't feel weighted down.

I also have Bersa's 9mm and their .40, and have the .45 ready to pick up (it's my Jesse Jackson gun). The .40 is really too big for CC. I've OCd it a few times. But the 9mm is fine for OC.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

I carry a P3AT in my pocket alot. It's the perfect pocket pistol.

Post imported post

longwatch wrote:
    me too

Post imported post

longwatch wrote:
    Me three - great little tool to have for some of those places that have those pesky defense free or Criminal safe signsand you have no choice but to go there.

1Shot

Post imported post

NAA Guardian, 32 ACP --

Because I don't live in a war zone, and it gets carried. I have a 45 ACP in the vehicle, along with a 12 gauge most days.

Post imported post

I carry a Bersa Thunder .380 in the duo tone finish. I think its one of the better values on the market. I paid $215 for mine. I find the Cor-Bon 90-gr JHP ammo to perform the best in this gun. Do not let high caliber supporters con you into thinking a .380 is not a sufficient caliber for self defense. Remember control of your gun and shot placement matter the most.

Post imported post

same gun and ammo i am carrying. i love it. i dont feel under powered, but a .45 colt is in the truck, and the big guns are at home.

Post imported post

Another satisfied P3AT customer here!

Of course, I only carry it when carrying something bigger is not suitable. Which is surprisingly often, as it turns out. (Well, actually I should say I only carry it alone... mostly when I carry my S&W 910 or Ruger SP101, the P32 it still present as my BUG.)

State Researcher

Post imported post

I had a Bersa .380 several years back that I carried regularly but let it go in a trade. I do still have a PA-63 in 9x18 that I carry at times though and have no doupts that it would make an "attitude adjustment" if necessary.

Post imported post

I might be getting a p3at soon, haven't decided yet. Plan on owning one sooner or later.

Post imported post

My wife's carry gun is a Sig 232 stainless model (.380). It wasn't cheap, but what a fabulous pistol it is. Beautiful, comfortable, great operation, and super accurate. I would not hesitate to use one of these as my sole carry gun (I carry a Springfield XD 9mm now). It's big enough for large hands, but slim enough to easily conceal, and it fits like a glove. I wish it were 9mm instead, but the .380 isn't a bad round at all. It's still powerful enough to stop a bad guy and, let's not forget, 99% of defensive gun uses don't involve a shot fired. Looking down the barrel is usually enough to stop the bad guys in their tracks.

Post imported post

I'm not familiar with the P3AT.....heard a lot about them. I'm looking for a small BUG now. Could someone enlighten me on the P3AT...Mfg. etc....possibly a picture? I currently own...revolvers, Glocks, 1911...all full size except for the J frame S&W.
    Thanks,
    Mike

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

My wife used to have a Taurus PT380. It was a good gun and she shot it very accurately, however, the one thing that She, nor I liked about it was the trigger pull. It was long and a little heavy

Post imported post

I don't have a .380 right now, but if I needed a compact pistol for situations where my Para LTC would be too big a PPK would definitely be on my list. The .380 with modern hollow points would be sufficient to get the job done.

Post imported post

I think a 90 grain gold dot round could definitely deter an attacker...if not exactly kill them

Post imported post

Why stop at one round? If I'm going to shoot someone, I'm not going to do it just once. They're going to get lead infusions until they are no longer a threat. If that takes 7 rounds, so be it.

Post imported post

hlh wrote:
    Here's the P3AT:

http://www.kel-tec.com/p3at.html

I've seen them go for $240 at gun shows, new.* The earlier models had issues, the latest version is pretty reliable.*
    I know someone that has one of those. I swear, it weighs about 3 ounces.

Haven't tried it yet. A couple of us are still trying to get her to come out to the range.

The built in pocket clip is nice, but I don't remember what it would take to move it to the other side for us (superior) Southpaws. :P
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

State Researcher

Post imported post

hogleg wrote:

I have a PPK/s .380 as well. She's a beautiful gun, and I don't carry her nearly as much as I used to just because I want to keep her in good condition :-). I carry it mostly when I conceal on my body (the SW99 .40 doesn't conceal well) and when I'm dressing up (nothin like a Walther in a shoulder rig under your suit).

As far as the caliber, I wouldn't worry one bit. Whether I was shooting a .22 or a .45, I'd unload at least 3 or 4 shots just to make sure the guy is down. Heck, you could probably get 4 .380 shots off faster in a stressful condition anyway, lol.

Carry what you're comfortable with, but in my opinion you've no reason NOT to be comfortable with the .380.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast