• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Hampshire OC video on YouTube.

Cue-Ball

imported post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXnK5UyRI&eurl=

For those of you who haven't seen this video yet, it's making the rounds today. It was posted on Digg and has gotten a TON of hits. The YouTube video is over 11K hits already. The "perps" were well behaved, stood up for their rights, and presented OC in a pretty positive manner.

Anyway, there has been much discussion in this subforum about digital recorders. In this video, the guy who is openly carrying, upon being approached by police, immediately calls a phone number using his cell phone. That number, apparently, is set to automatically record the conversation. I don't know why I didn't think of this, but that is an awesome idea and no additional expense is required, since most everyone already owns a cell phone. Now, my home phone number has an answering machine, but I know that it is very limited in how much audio it will let you record. I'm going to make a post in the New Hampshire subforum and see if they can tell us how this was accomplished, but I think that this is something we should seriously investigate for ourselves.

Snubber

imported post

This guy was the picture of calm, cool, etc. He is obviously a "pro" who's been exercising his rights quite a bit, for years.

Bravo!

This video is instructive: what to say, and how to say it.

The only let down was the LEOs never actually said "you're allowed to OC"

.... and friend waving the hand in front of the fat cop was LOL

jchen012

imported post

First of all, I am for open carry. However I don't agree with his tactics.I think this guy did not handle the situaton professionally. And his friend was even more unprofessional. He was telling the trooper to stand "normally" instead of in an aggressive stance. I didn't see him in an aggressive stance. It looked like your typical police interview stance that they teach you at the academy. Second the friend was waving his hand in front of the second officer's face. Great way to act professional and help the open carry cause. Third, I don't see any reason to give the police a hard time. Giving the trooper his ID would have been quick and simple. Since OC is legal in NH, all the trooper could have done is check the name and make sure he wasn't a felon so he can OC. Am I the only one who viewed this as a not so positive incident?

brianstone1985

imported post

This is an old post for sure but I'm new here and catching up so... my .02 cents...

I think that if the goal is to promote OC then he could have had a greater impact being more cooperative with the LEO's.

If his goal was to get a very entertaining youtube video while exercising his rights (including what info he has to give to LEO's) then that was what he accomplished.

I would doubt that anyone that is not a fan of OC would see this and say wow I want to be that guy!

Vandal

imported post

I'm not a big fan of the way they handled the event. If they wanted a semi-entertaining video making OCers look like a bunch of stand-offish whack jobs then they have clearly succeeded. I believe that it is far better to be polite and professional when dealing with the cops then abrasive. This comes from my own personal experiences growing up. I am quite disappointed in the way they acted and this video has taken all OCers back quite a bit. You can bet that this is making the rounds of police departments around the US and his rude actions will have a negative impact in how the cops treat the rest of us.

There is exercising your right, then there is being a d!ckhead. This man and his friend are the latter in my eyes.

antispam540

imported post

I'm pretty sure they didn't use an answering machine to record the call. My guess is they called into a computerized PBX system that was set up to record digitally. Something like that isn't too difficult to do - you just set up a Skype phone number and install something like 3CX on a home/office computer to handle incoming calls.

There are a few more details involved, but it sounds like something that would definitely be useful for us to have state-wide.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

brianstone1985 wrote:
We may see cooperation with the LEO's differently but that has nothing to do with Rape.. .as Rape is not a laughing matter...

unless your raping a clown.
MY words are a harsh comparison, but rape is not a laughing matter and neither is our rights. What is rape but a very personal violation of ones self, so I was using hyperbole to point out that just going along and cooperating is not the right thing to do, in my opinion. Some folks just don't get it, just like a rapist if we "cooperate" we enable the LEO to continue their unwanted intrusions. If more people not just gun owners stood up to unlawful stops and questions, the police would make sure they had a RAS instead of bullying law abiding citizens.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

brianstone1985 wrote:
I fully understand your point of view and cant say that I disagree. In my personal opinion I would base my actions and responses, judging by that of the LEO.
I agree to that too. It just seems on most encounters I have had, especially with city cops, the second you try to stand your ground the attitude behind the badge starts up. They don't like being told no.

I don't mean to paint with too broad of a brush because I have had some positive encounters, a recent one with WSP that was positive.