• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just_A_Car has no more excuse for not OC'ing!!

GreatWhiteLlama

imported post

gregma wrote:
T-RaV wrote:
I use this to carry my Kahr P9 most of the time,

http://www.activeprogear.com/defender.html.

It allows me to carry an extra mag and is very comfortable. Also, if your shirt rides up a little it will only look like you are wearing a back brace, (considering your need to keep your carry status a secret).
Wow, I really like that. Is it comfortable? How about if you have to sit for a long time? I just might have to get one for those times I have to hide my firearm (which thankfully is VERY seldom)
It is very comfortable. I usually wear it all day, on long drives as well as on long walks with no problem.

One thing to keep in mind if you choose to purchase it however is that it seems to have been made to carry in front rather than behind, so if you plan to carry SOB, (like I do) then you'll want to reverse the option for Left Hand/Right Hand.

I would also recommend getting the thumb break instead of the standard strap it comes with.

Cue-Ball

imported post

I really like that waistband doohickey. :) My wife has a holster, but many of her pants don't have belt loops, or the loops are too small for a "real" belt and holster. I thought about getting her a belly band, but that thing looks like the perfect solution. I might even get myself one too!

expvideo

imported post

LOL.

Nobody has a holster they love. It's something you learn over time, while trying to find the holster you love. You'll never end up with the perfect one. What you will end up with is a drawer full of different holsters, and that one that you hate just a little less than the rest of them. Here are a few facts you will learn in your journey to find the right holster:

1. If it conceals beautifully, it is very slow on the draw.

2. If it is fast on the draw, it will print.

3. If it is the most comfortable holster money can buy, it won't work with any the clothes you like to wear.

4. The belt makes the holster. The belt makes the holster. The belt makes the holster.

5.Shoulder holsters are the most comfortable, concealable and all around Bada$$. You just can't take off your jacket.

Anyone have additions to the list?

expvideo

imported post

I forgot the all important:

6) What is a huge lump of a tumor to you is invisible to 99.99% of people, and those that notice usually don't care.

I always used to think that everyone knew and was staring at me. Then I started OCing... even then barely anybody noticed! Now when I CC, I don't worry too much. Most people don't jump to the comclusion that a lump on your hip is a gun (for some reason).

gregma

imported post

expvideo wrote:
Most people don't jump to the comclusion that a lump on your hip is a gun (for some reason).
Large Cellphone
PDA
Reading glasses holder

I believe those are the most common thoughts when seeing a "lump" on someone's side waist area.

HeyK-47

imported post

Since I am new to the idea of OCing, right now all I have is my CC holster. I went shooting over the weekend and was using it as a OC holster. It worked OK except for the fact it only works on my left hip. Thankfully I am ambidextrous when it comes to shooting guns (and pool). I guess I will have to use it for the next OC lunch unless I am able to buy somethingbetween now and then. As expvideo pointed out, for CC it conceals beautifully but could be faster on the draw. Just another excuse to head to my favorite gun shop. :D

just_a_car

imported post

HeyK-47 wrote:
Since I am new to the idea of OCing, right now all I have is my CC holster. I went shooting over the weekend and was using it as a OC holster. It worked OK except for the fact it only works on my left hip. Thankfully I am ambidextrous when it comes to shooting guns (and pool). I guess I will have to use it for the next OC lunch unless I am able to buy somethingbetween now and then. As expvideo pointed out, for CC it conceals beautifully but could be faster on the draw. Just another excuse to head to my favorite gun shop. :D
What kind of holster do you use, K?

HeyK-47

imported post

According to the holster, it is a "De Santis Gunhide". It was a birthday gift, and beats Mexican carry.:) Fits nicely in the small of my back, and is pretty comfortable except for driving. I guess you got to make sacrafices sometimes. I would really like to get a shoulder holster but then I would always being weariny my jacket.

Adamdude04

imported post

It's always great to hear a person who is starting to OC

I OC all the time, everywhere I go. I have a springfield XD .40 and I use the holster my gun came with for conceal which works PERFECT and for OC which is most the time, I use my blackhawk with finger lock.

flyin_ryan

imported post

just_a_car wrote:

I don't. I carry it in condition 3.

Sorry, just_a_car but in my opinion that won't cut it... carrying in condition 3is not smart, although I appreciate your respect to safety I have to disagree, if I have a weapon it is condition 1, or red, or locked and loaded... safety off, external hammer at half cock for double actions... chambered, hammer cocked, safety on for single actions... etc. anyway, I gotta tell you that second u take to rack a slide my just be the end of you. Gun safety is key in any situation but carrying in condition 3 is, in my humble opinion, foolish. You were given a holster, you should use it. That weapon is your only means of survival in certain situations, and even at shooting institutes carrying condition 3 is rarely advised. Now if you are going to continue to "Mexican" carry, thats fine, but remember even a glock has things that can get caught on clothing and if that weapon has to be clear and putting steel on target can you honestly say you trust yourself to draw, lock and load and fire seven shots on target in seven seconds? Remember the rule of sevens, seven yards, seven shots, seven seconds. That is a long time in a gunfight granted, but 4 seconds to prep your weapon just put you at a great disadvantage, even against untrained thugs. I am just looking out for you man, God forbid that situation everoccurs, I'd like to hear your side of it on this forum instead of from a third party, you know? As always my arguments are open to rebuttal.Just_a_car I am not trying to pick on you at all, I just wanted you to know.

just_a_car

imported post

As I want to reply "in-full" to you, flyin_ryan, I want to get some sleep first. So, I'll get a reply to ya on this tomorrow sometime. Just letting you know that I've seen it and intend on responding.

-JAC