Thread: OC on governemtn property?

Post imported post

Over at OFCC, ther has been discusion that Ohio law only prohibits Concealed carry ofa firearm on governemnt property, and whatnot. The law saya nothing about banning firarms in general..

This would make t possible to carry into park and fair buldings, as well as restrooms. This also open up the possibility of Open carring on a collage campus.

Any thoughts?

Post imported post

sort of, we were actually much better off before concealed carry, a lot more places we could carry

Post imported post

I am one of those who believes that HB12 did not forbid openly carrying into the places it restricts for concealed carry (gov't building's that weren't already forbidden).

The downtown Cincy library's no-guns sign (which they're forced to post by law) specifically states no concealed carry. I have often considered openly carrying there, since I go there and am carrying when downtown.

I think the main reason people doubt this is because the law's suggestion for a sign does not specifically say concealed, only firearms. So even though the law itself says that only concealed carry is forbidden in certain areas (like gov't buildings), the sign it suggests those places post only says that firearms are forbidden. A real botch.

Post imported post

I have seen the same signs in Louisville, KY. KY law states wherever you can OC you can CC, thereby making the signs illegal and the entity that posts said illegal signs can be held financially responsible in court. I love it when government doesn't follow its own laws.

Post imported post

THe signs do not bear the leagal wight, the statute does. Concealed carry is banned by law, Open carry is not. They cannot abitrarily put up a sign banning open carry, or that wouls be a violation of HB347's "no local laws" clause. Remember, state law only cans concealed carry.

Post imported post

Theoretically I believe that open carry insuch places in Ohio would be legal. However the folks with handcuffs and jail cells at their disposal may not see it that way. 'You might beat the rap, but not the ride (downtown)' is how I've heard it put.