• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Recent polling results

unrequited

imported post

I don't trust statistics I can't easily look at the backend... how many responses, how long was the survey up for, etc. I couldn't find any info in the 5 mins my attention span was there, heh. Do they even have this available?

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

unrequited wrote:
I don't trust statistics I can't easily look at the backend... how many responses, how long was the survey up for, etc. I couldn't find any info in the 5 mins my attention span was there, heh. Do they even have this available?

Good man.

But worse is the fact that a poll is 'direct democracy' and democracy is the rule of fools by fools. How else have we gotten to these straits?

It's pitiful that someone must sniff around the anus that is the 'net and 'polls' to troll a forum.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

Kelly J

imported post

unrequited wrote:

I can not answer your question but this is the web address of the sourse,

http://www.pollingpoint.com/

Hope this helps.

unrequited

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
It's pitiful that someone must sniff around the anus that is the 'net and 'polls' to troll a forum.

...now don't take that as my sentiment at ALL.

I just want to know more about the survey, I didn't think that Kelly J was trolling at all, and if you click the link, it's supportive of carry, I just don't trust four bar graphs without any supporting data. He found something which he thought was interesting, and I thought it was interesting as well, just lacking. No need to jump down his throat for their deficiencies.

I emailed Polling Point, and unless they want to make a quick buck charging for it, I expect that they'd be willing to devulge more #'s.

CPerdue

imported post

Well, this poll was up for at least a month. I posted an alert to it in a couple of places so I remember (this is the one where they had a picture of a 'mean' looking air pistol on the title page).

There were lots of questions to this so there must be more data. I'm no expert, but I found many of the questions vague. For example would, "tougher gun control laws," mean that crazy people couldn't go buy weapons or that campus carry would actually be illegal in Va.? They didn't specify so the result is meaningless. I'm not sure the poll authors were really that well versed in the issues.

C.

Kelly J

imported post

The information was offered in good faith as a sourse of information, I know as well as you, that polls can and do serve little to no usefull purpose, in most cases they are desided before they are ever answered or participated in, but the fact that this one just might be a bit different is cause to at least look at the rsults, you don't have to believe them if you choose not to, and to simply make a statement that you do not trust polls would have been quite sufficent.

Sorry if you were offended by the posting!

CPerdue

imported post

Kelly J,

Whom are you addressing? I'm certainly not offended - remember I posted a link to this thing when it was ongoing. Anyway, as I said, these questions could be interpreted broadly making the poll a poor tool. We have to respond anyway because I'd rather 'win' a lousy poll than boycott it and see other thinking legitimized.

Does anyone out there have any experience writing poll questions? How does the polling business work? Could we write some letters and inform the question makers so that the next (professional) poll was better? I have no illusions about changing the ones that pop up on news pages.

C.

Kelly J

imported post

CPerdue wrote:
Kelly J,

Whom are you addressing? I'm certainly not offended - remember I posted a link to this thing when it was ongoing. Anyway, as I said, these questions could be interpreted broadly making the poll a poor tool. We have to respond anyway because I'd rather 'win' a lousy poll than boycott it and see other thinking legitimized.

Does anyone out there have any experience writing poll questions? How does the polling business work? Could we write some letters and inform the question makers so that the next (professional) poll was better? I have no illusions about changing the ones that pop up on news pages.

C.
No one in paticular, just felt some real negativity about my reason for posting it in the first place, as I said it was offered in good faith, and if one does not like it they do not have to read it, it's a very simple concept. THe phrase "I know as well as you" is a general term not a personal one.