• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry reactions at gas station in Richfield

sedjester

imported post

I was standing in line behind a few guys at Walkers in Richfield when one of them turns around and looks at my PX4 in my Galco FLETCH holster and said "I thought that was a gun". I responded with "It is" and he asked what kind it was and if he could see it. I kind of half chuckled and said no. Another guy asked if I was police or military to which I said no and when he asked why I had it I told him "personal protection". The third guy said CCW like it wasn't any big deal. Then a woman asked if I was a hunter to which I replied no. She then went off about how if a black man was carrying a gun in her "hood" they would get arrested. I asked if she was from Utah and she said she was from Indiana (IIRC). I told her that I didn't know her state laws but Utah allows me to carry out in the open.

The only thing the cashier did was ask if they could get a move on so she could ring up my purchase and the rest of the people behind me. I was a little nervous from all the questions they were asking. It was like they had never seen somebody carrying a pistol that wasn't a police officer. I looked over my shoulder a few times as I walked across the parking lot but nobody was paying anymore attention to me.

All in all I'd say it was a good experience. Not my first experience with OC'ing but I would say the most interesting so far.

sedjester

imported post

I moved to Oregon last year from St. George (lived down there for 13 years :shock: ). I have friends, family and work that takes me to Utah regularly. I have a Utah concealed weapons permit that I got while I was living in St. George. Since Utah issues out of state all I have to do is keep them informed of my new address and phone number and they will allow me to keep renewing it. I wish Oregon accepted Utah's permit, since they don't I have to go get one from the county sheriffs office.

sedjester

imported post

I wish I could, but certain cities (Portland, Beaverton, Tigard, etc) have a loaded firearm ban for those that don't have a CHL. Other parts of the state I can open carry but where I live I need a permit :(.

b1ack5mith

imported post

no, you just need a permit to carry a LOADED gun ;) if your state is like ours, UNLOADED means that there can be rounds in the clip... just not a round in the CHAMBER :)

and 2 actions before it can go BANG!

1. you have to keep the chamber empty

2. the safety must be ON

well thats UTAH's rule, but i dont know about oregon (i call it "or-ig-un" not "orie-gahn") lol

joelevi

imported post

sedjester wrote:
I moved to Oregon last year from St. George (lived down there for 13 years :shock: ). I have friends, family and work that takes me to Utah regularly. I have a Utah concealed weapons permit that I got while I was living in St. George. Since Utah issues out of state all I have to do is keep them informed of my new address and phone number and they will allow me to keep renewing it. I wish Oregon accepted Utah's permit, since they don't I have to go get one from the county sheriffs office.
I have a potential job opportunity in Oregon, what are their OC and CFP laws up there?

- www.JoeLevi.com

xmirage2kx

imported post

joelevi wrote:
sedjester wrote:
I have a potential job opportunity in Oregon, what are their OC and CFP laws up there?

- http://www.JoeLevi.com

In a nutshell:

You can OC loaded, except in some citys (like portland, beaverton, tigard, etc) And Unloaded means UNLOADED (no ammo in the gun at all, and I believe no loaded mag on your person but I could be wrong on that 2nd part)

Getting a permit is hard, but if you go to a county out in eastern oregon you should be good.

41 Magnum

imported post

In Richfield? I doubt any of the locals would ever even raise an eyebrow. I carry my 9.5" Ruger super redhawk around there all the time when I'm in the area on a hunt. Never had anyone even so much as stare, usually just a glance and a nod.

Some of the recent move-ins might react differently though....