• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why do you need a gun in the home?

mvpel

imported post

My usual answer to the question:

Oh, I don't know, why do you need one of these in your home?

FE_Fire_Extinguisher_TN.jpg

Are you afraid your house is going to burn down or something? How can you live in such a state of fear?

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

When asked why I carry a gun, my common answer is, "why do you have homeowner's insurance?". For some reason, homeowner's insurance is completely acceptable with those kinds of people but carrying a firearm is not. So the conversation might go something like this.

Q: Why do you carry a gun?

A: Why do you have homeowner's insurance?

Q: To protect my home and belongings.

A: So your home and possessions are more important than your life?

Q: No, of course not.

A: Then why don't YOU carry a gun?

gregma

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
When asked why I carry a gun, my common answer is, "why do you have homeowner's insurance?". For some reason, homeowner's insurance is completely acceptable with those kinds of people but carrying a firearm is not. So the conversation might go something like this.

How about if the conversation went like this.

Q: Because my mortgage company requires me to have it.

A: ??

sitedzn

imported post

gregma wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:

How about if the conversation went like this.

Q: Because my mortgage company requires me to have it.

A: ??
Well, because my conscience requires me to...:p

Kendo_Bunny

imported post

I went up against a person who called me crazy and paranoid for wanting to have a gun. I pointed out that I have a spare tire and emergency kit in my car, and I also have candles, flashlights, and a battery powered radio in home. I asked if that was paranoia. He said it was, and said love and understanding were so much more valuable than paranoia. I asked him if love and understanding ever changed a tire for him, or lit up the stairs when the power was out.

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Kendo_Bunny wrote:
I went up against a person who called me crazy and paranoid for wanting to have a gun. I pointed out that I have a spare tire and emergency kit in my car, and I also have candles, flashlights, and a battery powered radio in home. I asked if that was paranoia. He said it was, and said love and understanding were so much more valuable than paranoia. I asked him if love and understanding ever changed a tire for him, or lit up the stairs when the power was out.
whoops, sorry. I just threw up in my mouth a little bit. :uhoh:

blk

imported post

DKSuddeth wrote:
Kendo_Bunny wrote:
. He said it was, and said love and understanding were so much more valuable than paranoia. I asked him if love and understanding ever changed a tire for him, or lit up the stairs when the power was out.
whoops, sorry. I just threw up in my mouth a little bit. :uhoh:
That is just too funny! Thanks for the laugh, DK.

Kendo_Bunny

imported post

SBD wrote:
Kendo_Bunny wrote:
I asked him if love and understanding ever changed a tire for him, or lit up the stairs when the power was out.
This is funny.  I wonder how he responded.
He responded by saying I was a crazy bloodthirsty Nazi bitch who obviously lived in a Third World country.

He also said on another spot on the board that victimhood was always morally superior. I asked if that meant I should allow myself to be raped and murdered rather than draw a gun I am more than competent to fire. He said 'Yes', then ranted in almost every topic I posted in for the next three months about how paranoid I am about rape.

Kendo_Bunny

imported post

C'mon, I joined the board when I was 12. This doodle didn't even show up until last year.

Another thing he said was that no one should ever carry weapons into civilian zones, not even police. Presumably, the police will be given 'Time Out Cards' to pass out to criminals who will presumably stop committing crimes once they realize they are doing something wrong. When I pointed out that propane tanks are extremely effective methods of mass destruction, another pro-gun person quickly shushed me with 'Do you want him to ban everything down to butter knives?'

Said doodle also claimed there were no bomb-building instructions on the internet.

Bubba Ron

imported post

I've actually had an adult friend say "he would rather be killed thanpick up a gun to defend himself or his family"....pretty sad indeed, but they are out there.

AbNo

imported post

Bubba Ron wrote:
I've actually had an adult friend say "he would rather be killed than pick up a gun to defend himself or his family"....pretty sad indeed, but they are out there.

Where's Darwin when you need him... :banghead: