• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Inability to retreat - What do you do?

AbNo

imported post

OC related, even though the example I sight, I <strike>can't</strike> am not supposed to carry at work (but probably will when I have something suitable).

It's still a defense question, however....

For those places where retreat is impossible, due to buildings or geographic features, particularly if you live in a state that has a "Duty to Die" law, what do you do?

This came up when I saw a video on Youtube of a hotel worker shooting a robber (three hits, all in the side of the torso!).

This got me thinking.... If someone comes in, intent on robbing the place, I literally have nowhere to go.

I can hide behind a door with no lock.
I can TRY and kick the boss's office door in, while the door behind me remains open and otherwise unsecurable.
I can go into the lobby, RIGHT NEXT TO WHERE THE ROBBER WOULD BE STANDING (door 2).

Aaaaand... that's about it. I even worked up my elite MS Paint skills and made a little floorplan.

fppm7.png

Legend
1> Automatic slide-openentrydoors
2> Cipher-Lock Door (black push-button combo lock) to private work property area
3> Door with non-functioning cipher lock, door is held open 24/7, and unable to be secured, without McGuyver's help.
4> Locked door to seperate office area, opens inward, would be time-consuming to kick through.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

I wouldn't live there. Las Vegas has a "castle Doctrine" and "stand your ground" law that applies to anywhere you are. You do NOT have to run.

IMHO Move :D

If you can't run, unload you mag into the bad guy and run when he's ventilated properly.

AbNo

imported post

Well, Virginia's got some pretty sweet laws otherwise.

Now if they'd just keep their :cuss: hands out of my wallet, I'd be a lot happier....

That being said, need to get a decent CC gun next month...

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

to actually answer your question though: best thing to do is become a moving target, orkick the office door in and try to find some cover.

Here is another suggestion. this is where tool use comes into play. keep a opened master lock on your desk. when you make a retreat, grab the lock. remove your belt and attach the lock to the buckle end. wrap the other end around your hand. You now have a flail. Take a pen and grip it with your thumb supporting the end. hide on the other side of a door. stab him in the neck. Look around the room. every, stapler, hole punch, blunt object of any kind is a potential tool. Take your damn shoelace out and garrote the bastard by surprise if you have to.

Tool use and survival, that's all I'm saying.

AbNo

imported post

True enough.

I like the padlock idea, too.

Too bad I have speedlaces. I guess I'd have to suffocate him with old boot smell while strangling. :lol:

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Well I would develop some empty hand skills, keep a few heavy paperweights around my desk, and or some other improvised weapons like a fire extinguisher. Not optimal but better than harsh language. A can of pepper spray that shoots a stream may be useful or even a stun gun. This is assuming that those items would be less hazardous to continued employment that a firearm. I think the key thing is to recognize your threats and create a plan for those contingincies.

AbNo

imported post

Fire extinguishers? You think the cheap SOB that paid to have this place put up paid for more than the BARE MINIMUM number of fire extinguishers? :lol:

And actually, I've been thinking about some pepper spray or a stun gun in case some other crazy chick shows up. Crazy women seem to be drawn to me like a magnet.

Stun gun is also a second possibility, in case I get attacked by someone unarmed while OC'ing...

*pulls out a box of capacitors and plastic stock*

No.... this is just asking for legal trouble...

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Oh in that case I would definitely get one to keep in the workspace. 20 bucks, the spray is unpleasant to dangerous, makes a heck of a club, and you can put a fire out with it :D.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

What do you do?

Have some good wine around. And not that cheap stuff that your landlord drinks. Sure, it's expensive, but make sure it's Château Malescot St.-Exupéry.

Oh, andmaybe have some Camembert cheese in the office fridge...