• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hot poll on public building carry!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.lmtribune.com

Should private citizens be allowed to carry guns into public buildings?

Related article:

http://www.oregonlive.com/newsflash/washingtonstate/index.ssf?/base/news-30/1186624769136930.xml&storylist=orwashington

To bad the citizen speaking to the council was not open carrying!!!!

SNIP

MOSCOW, Idaho (AP) — The sheriff of a north-central Idaho county where a shooting rampage left four dead and three wounded last May wants more people to obtain concealed weapons permits and carry guns, including on the University of Idaho campus, to improve public safety.

"In my opinion, if there were more students with (concealed weapons permits), the world would be safer," Latah County Sheriff Wayne Rausch told the Lewiston Tribune on Tuesday. "Just because we (law enforcement officers) are charged with protecting the public, doesn't mean the public shouldn't be able to protect itself."

The university bans guns except under supervised circumstances at its firing range. Except for law enforcement officials, the university requires that firearms "be transported to the range unloaded, encased, with a trigger lock attached or otherwise rendered inoperable."

. . .

Rausch said people who apply for concealed weapons permits are screened, and are typically not a problem. He said some 540 people in the county now carry concealed weapons.

One of them showed up at Monday's City council meeting and said he was carrying a handgun.

"When seconds count, the cops are only minutes away," David Klingenberg, 36, told the meeting. "I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy."

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Mike wrote:
http://www.lmtribune.com

Related article:

http://www.oregonlive.com/newsflash/washingtonstate/index.ssf?/base/news-30/1186624769136930.xml&storylist=orwashington

To bad the citizen speaking to the council was not open carrying!!!!

SNIP

MOSCOW, Idaho (AP) — The sheriff of a north-central Idaho county where a shooting rampage left four dead and three wounded last May wants more people to obtain concealed weapons permits and carry guns, including on the University of Idaho campus, to improve public safety.

"In my opinion, if there were more students with (concealed weapons permits), the world would be safer," Latah County Sheriff Wayne Rausch told the Lewiston Tribune on Tuesday. "Just because we (law enforcement officers) are charged with protecting the public, doesn't mean the public shouldn't be able to protect itself."

The university bans guns except under supervised circumstances at its firing range. Except for law enforcement officials, the university requires that firearms "be transported to the range unloaded, encased, with a trigger lock attached or otherwise rendered inoperable."

. . .

Rausch said people who apply for concealed weapons permits are screened, and are typically not a problem. He said some 540 people in the county now carry concealed weapons.

One of them showed up at Monday's City council meeting and said he was carrying a handgun.

"When seconds count, the cops are only minutes away," David Klingenberg, 36, told the meeting. "I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy."

"Sgt. Brannon Jordan, who is still recovering from being shot by Hamilton that night, said he agrees with Rausch when it comes to having more concealed weapons, but added, "When I make contact with a person, I like to be the only one with a gun.""

Talk about contradiction:what:.

"I don't mind you carrying a Gun but if you meet me you better not"

signed

HEAVY BADGE

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

The Sheriff seems rational! :what:

I sent a note of encouragement to him.

---------------------------------------------

Sheriff Rausch,
Thank you for publicly commenting and voicing an opinion on concealed weapons that actually makes sense!
I'll be praying for your (and your Office's) safety and continued success in the enforcement of all Constitutional laws.
sincerely,
[name]

casullshooter

imported post

According to the Mayor "Banning" guns will stop these things (a nutball) from happening . Based on that theory the Mayor of Bagdad should ban suicide bombings , with the obvious expectation that they will stop immediately........

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Voted!

And thegood guys are winning big...

Yes
pollbar.jpg
71% - 982 votes

No
pollbar.jpg
29% - 395 votes

Cue-Ball

imported post

This story was posted yesterday on Digg.com.

I went one step beyond voting in the poll. Even though I don't live in that town (or even that state), I wrote an email to both the sheriff's office and the mayor. I expressed my views on the benefits of open and concealed carry, the inability of "no gun" laws to prevent crime and prevent criminals from carrying guns, and the disservice such laws do to the public by forcably disarming them.

I encourage you all to send your own comments (especially those of you from other states). Let the sheriff know that Idaho citizens aren't the only ones who want their second amendment rights, and let the mayor know that disarming the public only endangers them further.

sheriff@latah.id.us
nchaney@ci.moscow.id.us

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

I sent one to the Sheriff commending/encouraging his belief that more students/Moscow residents carrying would make the place safer.

I sent one to the Mayor thanking her for wanting to make the community safer, but suggested she was going about it all wrong... and that we should deferr to the "expert", Sheriff Rausch in this matter as he knows what does/doesn't work on the streets.

No appeal to the 2nd A in either email. Just common sense.

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

Poll Results: Guns in public buildings Should private citizens be allowed to carry guns into public buildings?

Yes 74% - 1202 votes

No 26% - 413 votes

voting ended.