• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What must we inform officers in Utah?

natehunts

imported post

Many of you have probably already seen this video about Dave Ridley's with some LEOs in New Hampshire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXnK5UyRI

My questions is, in Utah if this same situation were to present itself, what are we required by law to handover? I assume that if OC with one in the pipe, then we must inform the LEO of our permit. But if we are carrying legally unloaded, must we divulge any information like our DL? I think this guy only gave the officer his name and refused to give his permit or DL. I have always wondered if I was stopped say walking in a park and asked about my gun, the officer has the right to question the status of the weapon right? I had a whole mess of questions pop in my head while watching the video.

Sorry if this has been discussed here. I couldnt' find anything and I wanted to post it to get replies for Utah only.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

natehunts wrote:
Many of you have probably already seen this video about Dave Ridley's with some LEOs in New Hampshire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXnK5UyRI

My questions is, in Utah if this same situation were to present itself, what are we required by law to handover? I assume that if OC with one in the pipe, then we must inform the LEO of our permit. But if we are carrying legally unloaded, must we divulge any information like our DL? I think this guy only gave the officer his name and refused to give his permit or DL. I have always wondered if I was stopped say walking in a park and asked about my gun, the officer has the right to question the status of the weapon right? I had a whole mess of questions pop in my head while watching the video.

Sorry if this has been discussed here. I couldnt' find anything and I wanted to post it to get replies for Utah only.

In the State of Utah we have to present Id when Approached by LEO.

If you have a CFP, you have to Present CFP + ID.

If you are a NON Permit holder you have to Present Id to verify age etc.

Still checking verifiable info/sites.

Clark W Aposhians ( Chairman of the Board @ BCI ) Ph # is (801)560-4836.

kblazk

imported post

don't carry your id with you, you shouldn't have to have a ID for a constitutional right

b1ack5mith

imported post

i allllways carry atleast 2 forms of identification (using your creditcard without an ID can get you into trouble lol) plus... if youre drivin around, park yer car, strap on yer gun... and a cop see u putting it on, youll DEFINATELYYYY need a DL

sedjester

imported post

I believe Utah is one of the states that has a "Stop and Identify" law, meaning that if the officer thinks you have committed, are committing or are about to commit a crime they can ask you for your ID and an explanation of what you are doing. Carrying a loaded firearm is a crime unless you have a CCW permit, meaning that simply by having a firearm you "might be breaking the law" until the officer checks that it is either 2 actions from firing or that you have a permit. In the latter case you will be required to show ID, but if it is 2 actions from firing you might be able to just give your name and address for the officer to verify.

Also, carrying concealed with the CCW you are required to notify the officer and show the permit if he asks for identification (even if you just give name and address for verification).

I can post a link to the "Stop and Identify" section I saw in the state statutes if you'd like.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

sedjester wrote:
I believe Utah is one of the states that has a "Stop and Identify" law, meaning that if the officer thinks you have committed, are committing or are about to commit a crime they can ask you for your ID and an explanation of what you are doing. Carrying a loaded firearm is a crime unless you have a CCW permit, meaning that simply by having a firearm you "might be breaking the law" until the officer checks that it is either 2 actions from firing or that you have a permit. In the latter case you will be required to show ID, but if it is 2 actions from firing you might be able to just give your name and address for the officer to verify.

Also, carrying concealed with the CCW you are required to notify the officer and show the permit if he asks for identification (even if you just give name and address for verification).

I can post a link to the "Stop and Identify" section I saw in the state statutes if you'd like.

sedjester, right on the $$$.

I couldn't have worded it better myself.

It's ALWAYS to post links right away to "support" comments/statements on this site cuz ALL of us, wether out of State or in-state would like to know EXCACT verbage.

Awesome Job sedjester:celebrate

natehunts

imported post

Thanks for the info. I carry concealed and always have my DL and CCW on me according to law. I just need to stop thinking of excuses and just OC. I feel confident that I would react properly to anyencounter by LEO, it's the private business personel that might ruffle my feathers.