Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Packing.Org gone forever?

Post imported post

It's been over a week since I've been able to get into the terribly run Packing.org.

Does this mean it's finally dead forever?

Any info on this?

Post imported post

I post every day, damn near... I thinks its YOUR problem, sir

Post imported post

Nope, not his problem. Unless you have the secret ring decoder, http://www.packing.org is not working and returning a 404 error. www.packing.org doesn't even resolve any longer. Neither does packing.org.

Post imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
    When was the last time you posted? Did you do it last week thursday? How about last friday?
    Did you post on saturday or sunday?
    How about this past tuesday? Did you post on PDO on tuesday?
    What about yesterday? Did you post on PDO yesterday?

How about today? Have you gone on Packing.Org today?

When was the last time you were on there? I haven't been able to get in for over a week and my computer & internet connection works just fine.

State Researcher

Post imported post

It's been down 4 about 2 weeks now... at least I get the 404 code every time.

Post imported post

same here, 404 error.......

Post imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
    When are you going to come back here and answer my questions?

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

pkbites wrote:
    Bravo_Sierra wrote:
    I think he's BS'ing with you.
    ---

Post imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
    pkbites wrote:
    Bravo_Sierra wrote:
    I think he's BS'ing with you.
    I don't think it was BS. I think it was sarcasm...at least that's how I perceived it.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Well, Bravo_SierraISgreenspeak for BS...

-- John D.

(formerly of Colorado Springs, CO)

Founder's Club Member - Moderator Gray Peterson's Avatar

Post imported post

Personally I don't like packing.org anymore. I used to be a poster there, however a lot of the trolls there continually attacked open carry, and I think that packing.org should be a "carry database" not a "concealed carry database".

Both myself and utahbagpiper got dogpiled over there with their dumb rating system.

As much as I hate losing the archive of knowledge, the site was years out of date (still showed Nebraska and Kansas as prohibited carry states).

Post imported post

That's utahBAGpiper, by the way, not utahBIGpiper.

And I'm sorry to see packing.org go away. It was a grand ride while it lasted. But the truth is... (because of the trolls, or should I say "dogs-in-the-mangers," some who zero-ed out good posts, and others who piled on to good people, as Lonnie Wilson pointed out) the ride really ended quite a while ago.

Post imported post

pkbites wrote:
    It's been over a week since I've been able to get into the terribly run Packing.org.

I doubt it will be gone forever. For two reasons:

1. packing.org still has a big database of content that is widely useful.

2. packing.org isgreat domain name. It has brand equity.

Maybe management/ownershipwill have to change, though.

Post imported post

An "internic 'whois'" search ought to reveal whether the domain is currently assigned at least. I'm too lazy to bother, and they've changed the registry name since I bookmarked it - it was "internetsolutions.com" or some such.

-ljp

Post imported post

UtahRSO wrote:
    That's utahBAGpiper, by the way, not utahBIGpiper.

And I'm sorry to see packing.org go away. It was a grand ride while it lasted. But the truth is... (because of the trolls, or should I say "dogs-in-the-mangers," some who zero-ed out good posts, and others who piled on to good people, as Lonnie Wilson pointed out) the ride really ended quite a while ago.
    "That's utahBAGpiper, by the way, not utahBIGpiper."

Maybe His wife wouldn't mind

Post imported post

Whois information on packing.org

Domain Name: PACKING.ORG
    Created On: 04-Dec-1999 02:50:56 UTC
    Last Updated On: 06-Sep-2006 13:52:17 UTC
    Expiration Date: 04-Dec-2012 02:50:56 UTC
    Sponsoring Registrar: Network Solutions LLC (R63-LROR)

Post imported post

Legba wrote:
    An "internic 'whois'" search ought to reveal whether the domain is currently assigned at least. I'm too lazy to bother, and they've changed the registry name since I bookmarked it - it was "internetsolutions.com" or some such.
    Most, if not all, registrars have whois databases where one can query domain registration information. A whois of packing.org shows that the domain does not expire until 2012. So, unless Mark Solomon sells the domain or there is litigation brought against the domain for one reason or another, then Mark remains the domain registrant until that time.

The domain, does not resolve...the domain registration contains the nameservers for the domain, but those don't resolve either.

It could be speculated that Mr. Solomon had all of the services necessary to run the site running on the same system and that system has just experienced a catastrophic failure (it had happened before). Given Mark's background, I would not doubt that he had all these services running on the same system. In such a scenario, then none of the packing.org URLs would resolve.

One could also speculate that he was paying for hosting service, which he had neglected to pay and that service shutdown due to non-payment. If he were running all the services necessary from that provider, the same scenario would exist.

There are endless possibilities...until we hear from Mark what the future holds for packing.org, everything up to that point will be pure speculation.

Post imported post

Well, when I ran a WHOIS on PDO, it pointed to IP address 1.1.1.1, which more or less isn't a real IP.

Could've been set that way on purpose, could've been a DNS failure, and a pretty catastrophic one at that, to take a site down this long. It would have also taken down many more sites, as well...
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

You have lurched into the truth. The key is to separate the database element from the talk side. As I noted elsewhere, the same disease that did in PDO has infected OCDO. A professionally managed database site dealing with all aspects of carry would be a gem. A separate bulletin board where the moonbats could vent wouldn't impair the value of the database or lead the casual visitor to question the information. For a talk function to work, it would have to be a pay enterprise with adult supervision.

HankT wrote:
    pkbites wrote:

I doubt it will be gone forever. For two reasons:

1. packing.org still has a big database of content that is widely useful.

2. packing.org isgreat domain name. It has brand equity.

Maybe management/ownershipwill have to change, though.

Post imported post

AbNo wrote:
    Well, when I ran a WHOIS on PDO, it pointed to IP address 1.1.1.1, which more or less isn't a real IP.

Could've been set that way on purpose, could've been a DNS failure, and a pretty catastrophic one at that, to take a site down this long. It would have also taken down many more sites, as well...
    1.1.1.1 is a valid IP address. The netblock to which that IP belongs to is a reserved netblock by IANA. Though, from what I understand, it is not routable across the internet and I am unable to get routed across the internet using this as a destination IP address from multiple sources. I am unsure why NetSol would specify this as the IP, but because this is a reserved, allegedly unroutable, address it would make little difference, other than to make a site and/or network inaccessible.

It's not necessarily correct that the PDO nameservers being inaccessible would bring down other sites. PDO's nameservers were/are set to ns1.packing.org and ns2.packing.org. Indicating that DNS services were likely delegated to PDO's nameservers. Unless these nameservers were authoritative for other domains, then it would only affect the PDO domain.

Further information tells us that the nameservers, at least, are hosted in IP space owned by "Server Central Network" of Chicago. This company is a colocation service provider. Probably where the PDO server(s) were/are hosted.

A smaller subnet on that netblock is delegated to "Hoegerman Corporation" of Yorktown, VA (of whose address appears to be in a residential neighborhood). This corporation appears to be a Computer Processing and Data Preparation and Processing Services company. Could this be the company that manages the PDO content? Unsure.

My attempts to communicate to addresses in this space stopped at a router in Chicago on Level3's network.

Anyway...I'm at the office and spent valuable precious time on this that I could have been working on other more productive things...So, I must get back to work....

Post imported post

Right, and by invalid address, I mean invalid for internets across a series of tubes (but not a truck you put things in).

I don't even get a ping back from 1.^4....
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

We tried to buy Packing.org and could not get a reply -

Try

http://www.carryconcealed.net/

We have two major upgrades planned and are looking for ideas what the CCW community would like to see in a web site.

Clark.

Post imported post

PDO is technically neither CC nor OC, right? It'd be nice to see a site that covers both, without the distinction we so often see. Even on OCDO, most of us probably carry concealed when it's appropriate. We need to bridge the gap between the two.

Post imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
    PDO is technically neither CC nor OC, right? It'd be nice to see a site that covers both, without the distinction we so often see. Even on OCDO, most of us probably carry concealed when it's appropriate. We need to bridge the gap between the two.
    I agreethe gap needs to be bridged. But both sides sometimes snipe at each other, a foolish tactic. OCers, of course, mostly CC, so they are almost always a part of the CC community. But few people in the civilian gun carrying communities OC in this country. A recent poll thread is pertinent:

How many people currently open carry in the U.S.?

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum7/4415.html

No one seems to know how many OCers are out there. The biggest group is certainly in VA.That's where the action is nationally in the diffusion processof OC. But the total number of OCers in the U.S. is probably < 30,000. The total number of CCers is probably 10 times the number of CCers. Maybe 20. Possibly more than that.

That doesn't make CC better. Or OC worse. It's just the way the practices have diffused so far. But the low (relatively) numbers for OC have to have a bearing on whether a site could justify keeping up a database for both CC and OC. It would be much easier to have a combo CC/OC major site if the CC community could see that OC is really the same as CC. But that's probably not in the cards, for a number of reasons...

OCDO is the best national site there is on OC. Everything else is more limited and localin focus.

Post imported post

Thanks - We would want to help with out watering down the discusions on CCW, so that is why we are brining up other sites.

We are looking for suggestions what people want so that we can help get the information out there. This all started because I was frustrated in finding gun laws.

Clark

http://Carryconcealed.net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast