• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Packing.Org gone forever?

pkbites

imported post

It's been over a week since I've been able to get into the terribly run Packing.org.

Does this mean it's finally dead forever?

Any info on this?

pkbites

imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
I post every day, damn near... I thinks its YOUR problem, sir :D

When was the last time you posted? Did you do it last week thursday? How about last friday?
Did you post on saturday or sunday?
How about this past tuesday? Did you post on PDO on tuesday?
What about yesterday? Did you post on PDO yesterday?

How about today? Have you gone on Packing.Org today?

When was the last time you were on there? I haven't been able to get in for over a week and my computer & internet connection works just fine.

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

It's been down 4 about 2 weeks now... at least I get the 404 code every time.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Personally I don't like packing.org anymore. I used to be a poster there, however a lot of the trolls there continually attacked open carry, and I think that packing.org should be a "carry database" not a "concealed carry database".

Both myself and utahbagpiper got dogpiled over there with their dumb rating system.

As much as I hate losing the archive of knowledge, the site was years out of date (still showed Nebraska and Kansas as prohibited carry states).

UtahRSO

imported post

That's utahBAGpiper, by the way, not utahBIGpiper.

And I'm sorry to see packing.org go away. It was a grand ride while it lasted. But the truth is... (because of the trolls, or should I say "dogs-in-the-mangers," some who zero-ed out good posts, and others who piled on to good people, as Lonnie Wilson pointed out) the ride really ended quite a while ago.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

pkbites wrote:
It's been over a week since I've been able to get into the terribly run Packing.org.

I doubt it will be gone forever. For two reasons:

1. packing.org still has a big database of content that is widely useful.

2. packing.org isgreat domain name. It has brand equity.

Maybe management/ownershipwill have to change, though.

Legba

imported post

An "internic 'whois'" search ought to reveal whether the domain is currently assigned at least. I'm too lazy to bother, and they've changed the registry name since I bookmarked it - it was "internetsolutions.com" or some such.

-ljp

UTOC-45-44

imported post

UtahRSO wrote:
That's utahBAGpiper, by the way, not utahBIGpiper.

And I'm sorry to see packing.org go away. It was a grand ride while it lasted. But the truth is... (because of the trolls, or should I say "dogs-in-the-mangers," some who zero-ed out good posts, and others who piled on to good people, as Lonnie Wilson pointed out) the ride really ended quite a while ago.

"That's utahBAGpiper, by the way, not utahBIGpiper."

Maybe His wife wouldn't mind:lol:

sedjester

imported post

Whois information on packing.org

Domain Name: PACKING.ORG
Created On: 04-Dec-1999 02:50:56 UTC
Last Updated On: 06-Sep-2006 13:52:17 UTC
Expiration Date: 04-Dec-2012 02:50:56 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar: Network Solutions LLC (R63-LROR)

vrwmiller

imported post

Legba wrote:
An "internic 'whois'" search ought to reveal whether the domain is currently assigned at least. I'm too lazy to bother, and they've changed the registry name since I bookmarked it - it was "internetsolutions.com" or some such.
Most, if not all, registrars have whois databases where one can query domain registration information. A whois of packing.org shows that the domain does not expire until 2012. So, unless Mark Solomon sells the domain or there is litigation brought against the domain for one reason or another, then Mark remains the domain registrant until that time.

The domain, does not resolve...the domain registration contains the nameservers for the domain, but those don't resolve either.

It could be speculated that Mr. Solomon had all of the services necessary to run the site running on the same system and that system has just experienced a catastrophic failure (it had happened before). Given Mark's background, I would not doubt that he had all these services running on the same system. In such a scenario, then none of the packing.org URLs would resolve.

One could also speculate that he was paying for hosting service, which he had neglected to pay and that service shutdown due to non-payment. If he were running all the services necessary from that provider, the same scenario would exist.

There are endless possibilities...until we hear from Mark what the future holds for packing.org, everything up to that point will be pure speculation.

AbNo

imported post

Well, when I ran a WHOIS on PDO, it pointed to IP address 1.1.1.1, which more or less isn't a real IP.

Could've been set that way on purpose, could've been a DNS failure, and a pretty catastrophic one at that, to take a site down this long. It would have also taken down many more sites, as well...

apjonas

imported post

You have lurched into the truth. The key is to separate the database element from the talk side. As I noted elsewhere, the same disease that did in PDO has infected OCDO. A professionally managed database site dealing with all aspects of carry would be a gem. A separate bulletin board where the moonbats could vent wouldn't impair the value of the database or lead the casual visitor to question the information. For a talk function to work, it would have to be a pay enterprise with adult supervision.

HankT wrote:
pkbites wrote:

I doubt it will be gone forever. For two reasons:

1. packing.org still has a big database of content that is widely useful.

2. packing.org isgreat domain name. It has brand equity.

Maybe management/ownershipwill have to change, though.

vrwmiller

imported post

AbNo wrote:
Well, when I ran a WHOIS on PDO, it pointed to IP address 1.1.1.1, which more or less isn't a real IP.

Could've been set that way on purpose, could've been a DNS failure, and a pretty catastrophic one at that, to take a site down this long. It would have also taken down many more sites, as well...
1.1.1.1 is a valid IP address. The netblock to which that IP belongs to is a reserved netblock by IANA. Though, from what I understand, it is not routable across the internet and I am unable to get routed across the internet using this as a destination IP address from multiple sources. I am unsure why NetSol would specify this as the IP, but because this is a reserved, allegedly unroutable, address it would make little difference, other than to make a site and/or network inaccessible.

It's not necessarily correct that the PDO nameservers being inaccessible would bring down other sites. PDO's nameservers were/are set to ns1.packing.org and ns2.packing.org. Indicating that DNS services were likely delegated to PDO's nameservers. Unless these nameservers were authoritative for other domains, then it would only affect the PDO domain.

Further information tells us that the nameservers, at least, are hosted in IP space owned by "Server Central Network" of Chicago. This company is a colocation service provider. Probably where the PDO server(s) were/are hosted.

A smaller subnet on that netblock is delegated to "Hoegerman Corporation" of Yorktown, VA (of whose address appears to be in a residential neighborhood). This corporation appears to be a Computer Processing and Data Preparation and Processing Services company. Could this be the company that manages the PDO content? Unsure.

My attempts to communicate to addresses in this space stopped at a router in Chicago on Level3's network.

Anyway...I'm at the office and spent valuable precious time on this that I could have been working on other more productive things...So, I must get back to work.... :D