• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shpping gun laws in Va and how to ship ?

og556

imported post

Hey guys I live in Reton, Va and am interested in shipping a handgun to a buyer out of state but I am not sure what the legal way of doing this is so if any one knows please help me out. I understand that Blue Ridge arsenal will recieve guns from out of state FFL dealers with a $50 fee but who will ship from me to an out of state FFL ? Thanks.

LEO 229

imported post

og556 wrote:
Hey guys I live in Reton, Va and am interested in shipping a handgun to a buyer out of state but I am not sure what the legal way of doing this is so if any one knows please help me out. I understand that Blue Ridge arsenal will recieve guns from out of state FFL dealers with a $50 fee but who will ship from me to an out of state FFL ? Thanks.
Maybe this link can help

http://www.seark.net/~jlove/shipping.htm

zoom6zoom

imported post

Yikes, that's a pretty high transfer fee. Even with the cost of gas, it's worth the drive to Virginia Arms in Manassas or Quantico Arms in Woodbridge for the $20 transfers.

Overview:
If you ship it yourself, you need to use UPS or FedEx next day services. This is pricey. You can't ship a handgun via USPS. In addition, some FFLs will not accept a delivery from a non-FFL. You can't ship from a UPS store or FedEx Kinkos location or the like, you must go to their hub (where depending on the counter agent you get, they may or may not know the rules).

I have found that it can be quite a lot less hassle to have an FFL do the shipping (so long as they are not bending you over on the rates). This has a number of advantages:
You don't have to schlep all the way to the depot to ship a gun, and deal with moron counter agents.
No worries about the receiving FFL accepting the delivery.
FFL can ship to another FFL via USPS; Priority Mail Insured for a handgun runs about $15. Even with the FFL charge on your end, this can be around half the cost of next day service -and without the headaches.

Renegade

imported post

I agree that shipping through a FFL is your best option in general. Consider the legal advantage also...you turned it over to a FFL and the FFL took upon the responsibility of shipping the pistol/assault rifle/etc.

For me...I recently shipped a pre-ban ASSAULT WEAPON to a retired LEO in NY. My wife and I stoped by the local USPS and after waiting in line for twenty minutes approached the counter and declared that I had a firearm (long gun) I wished to ship. The postal employee stated that I must show him that the firearm was unloaded prior to him shipping it.

Just about everyone in the post office held their breath and seconds stretched into minutes/hours (temporal time distortion!) as I pulled my black rifle out of the box, locked the action open, and displayed the empty chamber to the postal employee. He sneered and recoiled backward as I moved the rifle closer to him so he could view the empty chamber.

After he gave me the OK to repack it I elected to close the action for shipping and slapped the bolt/carrier release on the side of the receiver. The sound of the bolt/carrier group slamming home is classic and music to my ears. My wife rolled her eyes and smiled at my animalistic display of freedom and independence.

The postal employee then suggested that I take my rifle to UPS or FedEx for shipping. I thanked him for his suggestion but insisted that the USPS ship my rifle. :p

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
Yikes, that's a pretty high transfer fee. Even with the cost of gas, it's worth the drive to Virginia Arms in Manassas or Quantico Arms in Woodbridge for the $20 transfers.

Overview:
If you ship it yourself, you need to use UPS or FedEx next day services. This is pricey. You can't ship a handgun via USPS. In addition, some FFLs will not accept a delivery from a non-FFL. You can't ship from a UPS store or FedEx Kinkos location or the like, you must go to their hub (where depending on the counter agent you get, they may or may not know the rules)

As an FYI - I've done the transfer-out-of-state thing twice in the past year. Neither FedEX nor UPS will accept a firearms shipment from a non-FFL, even though it's legal under Federal law for you to ship it yourself to a FFL.

Your best bet is to take it to one of those who will ship for $20-30. I shpped from Dawsons in Woodbridge, and it cost much more than that.

Tomahawk

imported post

Renegade wrote:
I agree that shipping through a FFL is your best option in general. Consider the legal advantage also...you turned it over to a FFL and the FFL took upon the responsibility of shipping the pistol/assault rifle/etc.

For me...I recently shipped a pre-ban ASSAULT WEAPON to a retired LEO in NY. My wife and I stoped by the local USPS and after waiting in line for twenty minutes approached the counter and declared that I had a firearm (long gun) I wished to ship. The postal employee stated that I must show him that the firearm was unloaded prior to him shipping it.

Just about everyone in the post office held their breath and seconds stretched into minutes/hours (temporal time distortion!) as I pulled my black rifle out of the box, locked the action open, and displayed the empty chamber to the postal employee. He sneered and recoiled backward as I moved the rifle closer to him so he could view the empty chamber.

After he gave me the OK to repack it I elected to close the action for shipping and slapped the bolt/carrier release on the side of the receiver. The sound of the bolt/carrier group slamming home is classic and music to my ears. My wife rolled her eyes and smiled at my animalistic display of freedom and independence.

The postal employee then suggested that I take my rifle to UPS or FedEx for shipping. I thanked him for his suggestion but insisted that the USPS ship my rifle. :p

Dude, that's awesome. Way to mess with the nancy pants.

But I thought it was illegal to ship guns via USPS?

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Dude, that's awesome. Way to mess with the nancy pants. But I thought it was illegal to ship guns via USPS?

It's illegal to ship HANDGUNS through USPS. Long guns are okay.

Tomahawk

imported post

Tess wrote:
Dude, that's awesome. Way to mess with the nancy pants. But I thought it was illegal to ship guns via USPS?

I've always wondered how they get away with that. USPS is a public service, for cryin out loud.

I guess I shouldn't complain. That law actually helps out the private shipping companies. Viva capitalism.

ScottNH

imported post

Tess wrote:

It's illegal for non-FFL's to ship handguns through USPS. FFL's do it all the time.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

It's illegal for non-FFL's to ship handguns through USPS. FFL's do it all the time.

Yep, you're right, of course. Mea culpa.

automan

imported post

Tess wrote:
zoom6zoom wrote:

Overview:
If you ship it yourself, you need to use UPS or FedEx next day services. This is pricey. You can't ship a handgun via USPS. In addition, some FFLs will not accept a delivery from a non-FFL. You can't ship from a UPS store or FedEx Kinkos location or the like, you must go to their hub (where depending on the counter agent you get, they may or may not know the rules)

As an FYI - I've done the transfer-out-of-state thing twice in the past year. Neither FedEX nor UPS will accept a firearms shipment from a non-FFL, even though it's legal under Federal law for you to ship it yourself to a FFL.

Your best bet is to take it to one of those who will ship for $20-30. I shpped from Dawsons in Woodbridge, and it cost much more than that.
I've shipped from Gilbert's in Lorton for $15.00. And I've had to send a pistol back to Colt using commercial carrier.

doug23838

imported post

Tess wrote:
Neither FedEX nor UPS will accept a firearms shipment from a non-FFL, even though it's legal under Federal law for you to ship it yourself to a FFL.

I've never had that problem. They just ask me at UPS if the recipient was an FFL holder.

I guess it depends on the clerk.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Just an FYI: Shipping a handgun through USPS, either Priority Mail or Registered Mail with both full insurance and restricted delivery cost's closer to $20 nowadays. rather than the $15 mentioned earlier.

Just so you know what expense your FFL is actually incurring in case they try and BS you.

As an example, If I ship for a customer I'll normally charge $40.
$20 for the shipping and $20 for the service including logging in/out, packaging, packing and the trip to the PO.
If item is supplied to me with suitable packaging I'll knock $5 or so off the fee.

So whether you use a FFL or ship yourself via UPS/Fed-Ex overnight the $$ you spend in the end is going to be real similar.
It's mostly a matter of what is more convenient for you.

Renegade

imported post

As stated above: non-FFL holders can not ship handguns through USPS but FFL holders can ship handguns though USPS. Both non-FFLs and FFLs can ship long guns (and deadly ASSAULT WEAPONS) through USPS.

Another interesting fact - since my gun was being shipped across state lines it was necessary for me to ship it to a FFL in the receiving state. It is my understanding that I could ship it to myself across state lines legally. Say I was going hunting in Kalifornia I could ship my long gun to where I was going to stay as long as I was the person who opened the package and technically "received" the firearm.

Shipping within the state from person-to-person is no big deal. If you guys wish to have some fun here in VA we could all just ship rifles back and forth to each other via USPS and never worry about FFLs, etc. :shock:

zoom6zoom

imported post

Shipping a handgun through USPS, either Priority Mail or Registered Mail with both full insurance and restricted delivery cost's closer to $20 nowadays. rather than the $15 mentioned earlier.
I used that figure because that's what the revolver shipped to me last week cost. I have a copy of the receipt from the sender. (Priority / insured)

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
I used that figure because that's what the revolver shipped to me last week cost. I have a copy of the receipt from the sender. (Priority / insured)

I'm not doubting you, just pointing out my experiences. I ship handguns USPS almost weelky. If they are sent Priority Mail With insurance AND restricted delivery (Adult/receipient only Sig) it almost always comes to $18-20 depending on weight.
A lot of delaers do not put "restricted delivery" on the handgun shipments and that is a no-no per common sense IMHO. I want to be able to confirm my shipment made it to the licensed address per the USPS.

So that may be the difference we are seeing...

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

doug23838 wrote:
Tess wrote:
Neither FedEX nor UPS will accept a firearms shipment from a non-FFL, even though it's legal under Federal law for you to ship it yourself to a FFL.
I've never had that problem. They just ask me at UPS if the recipient was an FFL holder.

I guess it depends on the clerk.

UPS addresses it here: http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/prepare/guidelines/firearms.html and FedEx at: http://www.fedex.com/us/services/terms/us.html#firearms

Now, I've never tried, so I don't know whether different clerks will let things through, but UPS is pretty clear. FedEx appears to allow it, if Federal law permits it, but I missed that part when I was first checking it out.

Guess the lessons we learn is experiences vary, eh?