Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often do you Dry Fire? Practice Your Draw?

Post imported post

For the majority of us I know shooting at the range 3+ times a week is not possible unless its 25 rounds a trip.

So, how often do you guys dry fire and draw from OC or CC?

For myself, I try do it every night. If I miss a night I will include the firearm I was supposed to practice with the day before as well. Even if I only have 15 minutes to practice I still do.

I have carry mags and snap cap mags. I change everything over to my snap caps and practice drawing, firing, mag change, firing again in slow. Then after a few rounds I run medium speed then full speed.

I then move on to moving and drawing at a diagonal direction. I also practice no mag in handgun, drawing, insert mag, rack slide and fire. Some of the stuff I do is based around IDPA style but they all improve my drawing speed, trigger control, mag changes, form etc.

I have also recorded my voice saying a direction: left side, rear, front, right side and put it on a playlist set on shuffle. When the direction is given I draw, sight the target I have setup and fire.

How about you

and if this has been posted before.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

Not enough, you are shaming me into practicing more.

Post imported post

Used to be once a week for IPSC training class practice (the class at Shooter's Paradise was VERY well run).

Not as much now though. Just read something interesting I can't remember where, the guy watches his favorite TV shows, and picks a random minor character for the episode, and with a training barrel (snapcaps would be fine, fully dry if your firearm supports that), aims and fires as a reflex whenever they come on screen.
    -Unrequited

Post imported post

15 minutes a day will do wonders. If you watch TV, you have time to dry fire with a draw from concealment while moving. A good signal to draw is when the perspective changes with the focus upon a person.

Post imported post

Speaking of dry firing, what types of guns can be dry fired and which can't?

I have a S+W .38 special revolver. Can I dry-fire that without damaging it?

Post imported post

unrequited wrote:
    Used to be once a week for IPSC training class practice (the class at Shooter's Paradise was VERY well run).

Not as much now though. Just read something interesting I can't remember where, the guy watches his favorite TV shows, and picks a random minor character for the episode, and with a training barrel (snapcaps would be fine, fully dry if your firearm supports that), aims and fires as a reflex whenever they come on screen.
    That reminds me. Is the range at Shooter's Paradise open again?

I heard they had a fire...
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

sjhipple wrote:

Is the firing pin built into the frame? If so, you're OK. I'm not sure about the effects of extended dry-firing on hammer mounted firing pins.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Most of my firearms are OK to dry fire but considering how inexpensive snap caps are I always use them. I know many here mention off hand shooting practice; are you also practicing draws with that off hand. I know I do but haven’t seen it mentioned and figured I would through that in. It really changes your perspectives on different types of holsters.

Post imported post

Outside of the fact that I compete in NRA Highpower and NRA Bullseye pistol, I dry fire about 1500 to 2000 rounds a week and live fire 200 Rifle and 200-300 pistol (competition and carry gun) a week.

For carrying, I practice draw about 100 times a week and dryfire my carry weapon each draw... don't ever forget it takes about 3000 repetitions of a movement for it to become muscle memory. Until you can draw, aim and fire your weapon without thinking about it, you're a statistic waiting to happen.

And before the comments start... yes I handload... A LOT!

Post imported post

jenzenk wrote:
    Outside of the fact that I compete in NRA Highpower and NRA Bullseye pistol, I dry fire about 1500 to 2000 rounds a week and live fire 200 Rifle and 200-300 pistol (competition and carry gun) a week.

For carrying, I practice draw about 100 times a week and dryfire my carry weapon each draw... don't ever forget it takes about 3000 repetitions of a movement for it to become muscle memory. Until you can draw, aim and fire your weapon without thinking about it, you're a statistic waiting to happen.

And before the comments start... yes I handload... A LOT!
    Another thing to point out: remember to practice drawing from concealment, with both one and two hands, while moving.

State Researcher

Post imported post

I never dry fire, I practice drawing, go to the range weekly -- would go more if I had the cash...

Post imported post

I practice occasionally. More often with a new gun or holster.

Post imported post

sjhipple wrote:

It's OK. Frame mounted or hammer mounted fire pin on a revomakes no difference. Same OK for S&W semi-autos. However, it is not OK for .22 caliber guns.

Basically, modern centerfire guns are OK. Rimfire guns, do not dry fire!

It will often be specificallly stated in your owner's manual if you got one with the gun. Also, the web sites often have something about the subject:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...tionId=10504#2

I have heard, however, that extensive speed dry firing a revolver can cause problems. I remember reading that over on the S&W Forum. Was a reliable source but don't have a cite for that...

I dry fire my S&W J-frame with the Crimson Trace laser on for practice. No problems.

edit speling

Post imported post

I dry fire all the time after running the SN on peoples guns.

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    Yeah, but we still like you :P

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    What's your favorite gun to dry fire, LEO?
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

AbNo wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:
    What's your favorite gun to dry fire, LEO?
    Anyone elses....!!! :P

Actually.. I do NOT dry fire unless necessary. Like when I have to break down my Glock 26. I do not believe it is good for the firing pin if you do it too often.

But... I have to say my favorite gun is my Sig 229!! Last qualification... I strayed one bullet out of the bottle but still on paper. Otherwise I would have had a perfect score!

Post imported post

sjhipple wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:
    Yeah, but we still like you :P
    Sure you do... wait till I greet you at the next picnic and ask for your gun.. :P

Post imported post

daily
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

On another note, things that should be practiced:

- Weak hand unsupported shooting
    - Weak hand drawing of your pistol
    - Single hand magazine changes, strong and weak hand
    - Single hand reloading of revolvers, strong and weak hand

You can't always count on that strong hand or arm working in a bad situation.

If you want some help, I can try and describe the single hand reloading here, get with a good tactics instructor or pick up some tactics books with pics (Assad Myoob has some great ones out there)

Post imported post

Anyone know if dry firing can hurt an AR-15 type system?

Post imported post

Use snap caps.

If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

I would use a snap cap for repetitive dry firing of any gun. I have them for afew calibers.

A-Zoom seems to be the best, since they are machined aluminum and handle like real rounds. But they're not cheap...

Post imported post

A quick draw incident that LEO 229 may have heard about,

About 10 or so years ago at northern virginia sub station that we will not name, the officers played a quick draw game in the break room. While watching the clock on the wall, as the second hand clicked to 12:00 the officer would draw on the clock. seems simple enough, however somebody didn't get the word that your NOT sopposed to shoot the clock.

They don't play that game any more :shock:

Post imported post

quick draw

~Alan Korwin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast