• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How often do you Dry Fire? Practice Your Draw?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

I would use a snap cap for repetitive dry firing of any gun. I have them for afew calibers.

A-Zoom seems to be the best, since they are machined aluminum and handle like real rounds. But they're not cheap...

1st freedom

imported post

A quick draw incident that LEO 229 may have heard about,

About 10 or so years ago at northern virginia sub station that we will not name, the officers played a quick draw game in the break room. While watching the clock on the wall, as the second hand clicked to 12:00 the officer would draw on the clock. seems simple enough, however somebody didn't get the word that your NOT sopposed to shoot the clock.

They don't play that game any more :shock:

Particle

imported post

I never thought of doing that, but it sounds both helpful and fun. What's that grip on your glock? The G19 I've shot before had it too, but I found it a bit uncomfortable. It's not a standard part of the package, is it?

On those snap caps, does the hardened aluminum not cause damage to the pin as well? Since it can't press it in like the primer cap on a live round, I have to wonder.

unrequited

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
Dry fire practice is done while watching TV(Blade Tech practice Barrel installed) I pick a person(not the main character) and every time they appear I draw and fire.
I also use IDPS/IPSC cardboard targets  with the A zones punched out for proper sight aligment.
Musta been who I was thinking of. > )

cdpmaster

imported post

A-Zoom's have a rubber piece in the primer pocket. The firing pin strikes rubber. I had some of the red headed, clear plastic bodied snap cap's, and they were pretty useless.

As to dry-firing without an A-zoom, every M-16 I had in the Marine Corps had been dry fired without them. You dont spend 2 days snapping in at the range or a week (like boot camp) pretending to squeeze the trigger, and the Marine's dont issue A-zooms.

I have dry fired probably 100,000 times with them in the past 18 months in my handguns.The extractor will eventually damage the rim (it's aluminum) of the a-zoom cartridge so that it won't extract as reliably or could give you problems, but if you have concern's about damaging the firing pin, at $15.00 for 5, A-zooms'are really inexpensive. I would much rather throw away an A-zoom than an extractor. Let me know if you want a picture of some worn out A-zooms if your BS meter doesn't believe. Filing down the damage doesn't work well either, at least it didn't for me.

YMMV

Ed

Wooley

imported post

jenzenk wrote:
On another note, things that should be practiced:

- Weak hand unsupported shooting
- Weak hand drawing of your pistol
- Single hand magazine changes, strong and weak hand
- Single hand reloading of revolvers, strong and weak hand

Amen dude!!!

It hurts, but get used to racking that slide on your thigh one handed...you might need to do it someday. The beltline or top of a pocket will catch sights and works well too.

Tomahawk

imported post

I have a cheap plasticairsoft 1911 that I got at WalMart for like $20. It came with a 12 rd mag and a sort of gel-like target that absorbs the rds so tey don't bounce all over the living room. The pistol is single-shot only; you have to rack the slide and cock it after every shot, but for the first rd it operates like a 1911.

Unfortunately, the sights on it suck, they are clear plastic with hard-to-see dots, but after practicing draws with those crappy sights, I saw marked improvement with the real 1911 at the range.

And you have incentive to hit the target: when you miss the balls bounce off the baseboard of the wall and bounce all around the room.

Imperfect, of course, but lots of fun. It doesn't have the weight and balance of a real 1911, which is bad, but it fits inmy 1911 holster, which is good.

I also practice draws and dry-fires with snap caps. I have one for all my center-fire arms. Do they even make them for rimfires? I wonder if you could use a spent case.

Agent6-3/8

imported post

Seems like when I'm home from college during the summerI don't get to shoot or pratice as much as I'd like to. During most of the year though, when I'm at school, I pratice dry firing, draws, reloads, malfunctions, etc, at least several times a week and usually daily. I usually try to put 100rnds down range once a week, depending on free time.