• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How often do you Dry Fire? Practice Your Draw?

Scheetz

imported post

For the majority of us I know shooting at the range 3+ times a week is not possible unless its 25 rounds a trip.

So, how often do you guys dry fire and draw from OC or CC?

For myself, I try do it every night. If I miss a night I will include the firearm I was supposed to practice with the day before as well. Even if I only have 15 minutes to practice I still do.

I have carry mags and snap cap mags. I change everything over to my snap caps and practice drawing, firing, mag change, firing again in slow. Then after a few rounds I run medium speed then full speed.

I then move on to moving and drawing at a diagonal direction. I also practice no mag in handgun, drawing, insert mag, rack slide and fire. Some of the stuff I do is based around IDPA style but they all improve my drawing speed, trigger control, mag changes, form etc.

I have also recorded my voice saying a direction: left side, rear, front, right side and put it on a playlist set on shuffle. When the direction is given I draw, sight the target I have setup and fire.

How about you

and if this has been posted before. :uhoh:

unrequited

imported post

Used to be once a week for IPSC training class practice (the class at Shooter's Paradise was VERY well run).

Not as much now though. Just read something interesting I can't remember where, the guy watches his favorite TV shows, and picks a random minor character for the episode, and with a training barrel (snapcaps would be fine, fully dry if your firearm supports that), aims and fires as a reflex whenever they come on screen.

cREbralFIX

imported post

15 minutes a day will do wonders. If you watch TV, you have time to dry fire with a draw from concealment while moving. A good signal to draw is when the perspective changes with the focus upon a person.

sjhipple

imported post

Speaking of dry firing, what types of guns can be dry fired and which can't?

I have a S+W .38 special revolver. Can I dry-fire that without damaging it?

AbNo

imported post

unrequited wrote:
Used to be once a week for IPSC training class practice (the class at Shooter's Paradise was VERY well run).

Not as much now though. Just read something interesting I can't remember where, the guy watches his favorite TV shows, and picks a random minor character for the episode, and with a training barrel (snapcaps would be fine, fully dry if your firearm supports that), aims and fires as a reflex whenever they come on screen.

That reminds me. Is the range at Shooter's Paradise open again?

I heard they had a fire...

cREbralFIX

imported post

sjhipple wrote:

Is the firing pin built into the frame? If so, you're OK. I'm not sure about the effects of extended dry-firing on hammer mounted firing pins.

Toad

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Most of my firearms are OK to dry fire but considering how inexpensive snap caps are I always use them. I know many here mention off hand shooting practice; are you also practicing draws with that off hand. I know I do but haven’t seen it mentioned and figured I would through that in. It really changes your perspectives on different types of holsters.

jenzenk

imported post

Outside of the fact that I compete in NRA Highpower and NRA Bullseye pistol, I dry fire about 1500 to 2000 rounds a week and live fire 200 Rifle and 200-300 pistol (competition and carry gun) a week.

For carrying, I practice draw about 100 times a week and dryfire my carry weapon each draw... don't ever forget it takes about 3000 repetitions of a movement for it to become muscle memory. Until you can draw, aim and fire your weapon without thinking about it, you're a statistic waiting to happen.

And before the comments start... yes I handload... A LOT!

cREbralFIX

imported post

jenzenk wrote:
Outside of the fact that I compete in NRA Highpower and NRA Bullseye pistol, I dry fire about 1500 to 2000 rounds a week and live fire 200 Rifle and 200-300 pistol (competition and carry gun) a week.

For carrying, I practice draw about 100 times a week and dryfire my carry weapon each draw... don't ever forget it takes about 3000 repetitions of a movement for it to become muscle memory. Until you can draw, aim and fire your weapon without thinking about it, you're a statistic waiting to happen.

And before the comments start... yes I handload... A LOT!

Another thing to point out: remember to practice drawing from concealment, with both one and two hands, while moving.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

sjhipple wrote:

It's OK. Frame mounted or hammer mounted fire pin on a revomakes no difference. Same OK for S&W semi-autos. However, it is not OK for .22 caliber guns.

Basically, modern centerfire guns are OK. Rimfire guns, do not dry fire!

It will often be specificallly stated in your owner's manual if you got one with the gun. Also, the web sites often have something about the subject:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CustomContentDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&content=13012&sectionId=10504#2

I have heard, however, that extensive speed dry firing a revolver can cause problems. I remember reading that over on the S&W Forum. Was a reliable source but don't have a cite for that...

I dry fire my S&W J-frame with the Crimson Trace laser on for practice. No problems.

edit speling

LEO 229

imported post

I dry fire all the time after running the SN on peoples guns. :D

LEO 229

imported post

AbNo wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

What's your favorite gun to dry fire, LEO? :lol:
Anyone elses....!!! :p

Actually.. I do NOT dry fire unless necessary. Like when I have to break down my Glock 26. I do not believe it is good for the firing pin if you do it too often.

But... I have to say my favorite gun is my Sig 229!! Last qualification... I strayed one bullet out of the bottle but still on paper. Otherwise I would have had a perfect score!

LEO 229

imported post

sjhipple wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Yeah, but we still like you :p
Sure you do... wait till I greet you at the next picnic and ask for your gun.. :p

jenzenk

imported post

On another note, things that should be practiced:

- Weak hand unsupported shooting
- Weak hand drawing of your pistol
- Single hand magazine changes, strong and weak hand
- Single hand reloading of revolvers, strong and weak hand

You can't always count on that strong hand or arm working in a bad situation.

If you want some help, I can try and describe the single hand reloading here, get with a good tactics instructor or pick up some tactics books with pics (Assad Myoob has some great ones out there)