• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wildlife-n-fisheries

CrashVector

imported post

Carondalet wrote:
Ok, I know car extension of home, and maybe boat, but wildlife boys seem to play by different rules. Do you have to disclose on the river? (Carry, that is).

It depends. If its in a hunting area, then you are only allowed to have certain guns on you.

For example, you are NOT allowed to have a gun of ANY sort on a WMA during closed season except at the gun range.

If you're just out fishing on public waters, I THINK you are allowed to have a 22 pistol.

imported post

The same state constitution that guarantees your right to bear arms (article 1 sec 11) applies to wildlife and fisheries. They are NOT exempt. If you want to bear arms in your boat, you have that right. Are you required to disclose? NO.

Just for the educational value, write Wildlife and Fisheries and put that question to them. Please share the response, if any.

CrashVector

imported post

Mark:

I know for a FACT you are not allowed to have a firearm of any kind on you if you are on WMA property outside of hunting season....except in the gun range area.

the reason is simple: outlaws. There are people that would take game out of season.

Carondalet

imported post

I boat around Amite, Diversion Canal, Lake Maurepas, Blind River. I think they made this WMA area. I was stopped today by Wildlife, but it was cool. Wasn't carrying, just tooling around w/kids. I didn't ask cause they were writing up seadoo riders for idle zone violations. Registration was one month expired, too. haven't put this boat in for 3 years. Everything worked!!

CrashVector

imported post

If ure in a WMA area, then you are NOT allowed to have a firearm on you or in your boat, etc.

If you are on a public waterway, your normal rights apply.

HOWEVER....if you are in a boat more than 5 miles offshore, you are then bound my MARITIME law, which is quite different from "normal" law. I know this because I worked offshore for many years to put myself thru college.

If the coastguard approaches you, and you have a weapon of ANY sort, you had BETTER let them know. It doesnt matter what your OC rights are on LAND...in the WATER, more than 5 miles out in the Gulf, you do not have that right.

Still...to answer your original question: if you're just in a boat tooling around on public waters, then yes, you can carry. Game Wardens are not cops.

charlie12

imported post

Carondalet wrote:
I boat around Amite, Diversion Canal, Lake Maurepas, Blind River. I think they made this WMA area. I was stopped today by Wildlife, but it was cool. Wasn't carrying, just tooling around w/kids. I didn't ask cause they were writing up seadoo riders for idle zone violations. Registration was one month expired, too. haven't put this boat in for 3 years. Everything worked!!
I've never heard of that area being a WMA. I'll be in that area tomorrow and I'll ask around.

charlie12

imported post

Still...to answer your original question: if you're just in a boat tooling around on public waters, then yes, you can carry. Game Wardens are not cops.

Since when? They will lock your butt up just like a Trooper anywhere in the state

marrero jeff

imported post

willife and fisheries agents have the same powers as state troopers, they can lock you up if you're breaking the law. had a nice conversation with one while carrying on a fishing trip in barataria preserve yesterday. fortunately he let me go.

georg jetson

imported post

Carondalet wrote:
Ok, I know car extension of home, and maybe boat, but wildlife boys seem to play by different rules. Do you have to disclose on the river? (Carry, that is).
Open carry is not a state licensed privilege here in La... it's a right according to Art. 1 Sec 11. Any statutory requirement to "disclose" is unconstitutional related to OPEN CARRY. The only reason disclosure is relevant to OC is when you are carrying concealed NOT on your person, such as in a box on your boat. IF there is a statutory requirement to disclose, I challenge anyone to show me the law.

The LEO's ability to do a warrentless search on INLAND waters must meet the same requirements as those of any warrentless search. Either probable cause, permission or plain sight.

Dustin

imported post

I talked to a Game Warden on the phone from the BR Office and he said you could even fire your handgun from your boat as long as you weren't illegally hunting/fishing. His definition of that was shooting fish or aligators, he said nothing about snakes.

I posted this a long time ago in a topic somewhere in here.

Dustin

imported post

nimrodder wrote:
Go to the following web site and read the rules and regulations set forth by the LDWF. http://doa.louisiana.gov/osr/lac/76v01/76v01.pdf

You will not find these on the Louisiana Legislature web site.

You should know what you are talking about before making such a positive statement.

You should quote who you are talking to so we know too :)

nimrodder

imported post

Let me clarify my previous post. Under Title 76 the LDWF is allowed to make the rules for all hunting and fishing on Louisiana lands. The ROC is not valid on State owned properties such as Russell Sage WMA for example. Although when fishing on navagible waterways that pass through these WMA's it is legal to have a firearm in your possesion/on your person/in your boat. However when operating on these waterways and passing through federal WMA's most if not all federal gamewardens beleive that the waterway is part of their WMA and will usually issue a citation which you must fight in federal court. Example of this would be boating on D'Arbonne bayou where it passes through Upper Ouachita WMA, from Farmerville to the western boundry of the wma it is Ok to have a firearm and from the eastern boundry of the wma to the river it is Ok, but in between the feds think they own that part of the state waterway and could issue a ticket that you would have to fight in federal court. Call your nearest LDWF and speak to an enforcement agent and they will tell you the same thing.

nimrodder

imported post

Dustin wrote:
nimrodder wrote:
Go to the following web site and read the rules and regulations set forth by the LDWF. http://doa.louisiana.gov/osr/lac/76v01/76v01.pdf

You will not find these on the Louisiana Legislature web site.

You should know what you are talking about before making such a positive statement.

You should quote who you are talking to so we know too :)
My apologies I was replying to CrashVector.

georg jetson

imported post

NEVER ask a LEO legal questions that you will be basing your decisions on...

OC on federal lands is now legal in this state...
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum26/38743.html

Title 76 IS the rules promulgated by the Wildlife and Fisheries Commission. The statutory basis for these are found in RS title 56 and the Constitutional basis for this is found in LA. Const 9:1 and 1:27. Neither article 9:1 or 1:27 give ANY power to the legislature to regulate Const article 1:11. Firearm prohibitions on public lands IS illegal. Anyone cited for this should be ready to fight. The legislature and agencies get away with this transgression BECAUSE no one fights.

What is ROC??

AmosMoses

imported post

I was curious about this just a number of days ago. I took my daughter to Tunica WMA opening weekend of turkey season. First time I have ever set foot on a WMA as far as I can recall, surely the first time to hunt. I'm not real crazy about hunting somewhere that just about anyone has the right to be walking around in the woods...I am not saying that they shouldn't be taking advantage of this public land, just that I am not real crazy about being there at the same time. Being that the hunt was a lottery hunt, and that I got lucky enough to be drawn for opening weekend on the South section (with 11 other people, one of them my buddy), I was willing to try it out...and, I wanted to take my daughter to see the area, being that the WMA now contains a huge percentage of the land that I used to hunt regularly for many years, say maybe 15-20 years ago as a member of a small club up there. On the way back home, I was telling her about hunting Cat Island as a member of that same club when we had several thousand acres leased there years before we went to the hills, and I was surprised to see a sign saying "Cat Island NWR". (I'm not very well informed, I know).

When I got home, I Googled Cat Island NWR (first to make sure that NWR actually meant National Wildlife Reserve (or whatever)), because as I said, I had never even heard of it before. I got to reading the manual that is posted as a pdf online, and it occurred to me that the new law regarding carry on federal parks (or, federal parks and reserves is what I thought it said) should negate carry restrictions on the reserve. Is this correct...can I carry a firearm doing anything on the reserve that I could legally do NOT carrying?

rmansu2

imported post

Stopped once while fishing with my dad and his friend. The guy is always carrying. Warden asked if there were any firearms on the boat. He answered honestly. Next questions were, "where do you keep it, what caliber, and is it loaded?" Answers, "Under the console, .45, and always. Warden said, "Good man." That was the end of it. Have a nice day and enjoy the fishing.