• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carrying a rifle...?

b1ack5mith

imported post

wellll, you guys know i dont have a pistol yet, but SGT. J mentioned it... what would you all think a cop would do... ifi open carried my rifle? im SURE people would scatter if i walked around with a rifle strapped to my back hahah! any of you bloaks ever open carry a rifle? (probably not) i feel like goin down to walmart, pickin up a rifle sling, andsling attachments, and i guess id have to drill a couple holes in my stock? anyone know anything about attaching the sling attachments to a synthetic stock?

somethin KINDA like this, but theres a bold that screws in the hole that you drill, (and not a swivel, but a solid sling mount)

http://cgi.ebay.com/UTG-QD-RIFLE-GUN-SLING-SWIVEL-1-25-WIDE-TRI-RAIL-MOUNT_W0QQitemZ290147878617QQihZ019QQcategoryZ73977QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

So I see you are giving thought to my bad advice. :shock: It may be legal to do so, but you are sure to attract more attention than you want at this point. Packing a rifle is almost a guranteed phone call to the police. I would leave this one to the seasoned OC'ers who have excellent verbal skills, and the willingness to deal with a nervous cop. But since you asked, don't go drilling and chopping you rifle just yet. There are carry slings designed for certain rifles. Here is one similar to what I have. (not a pic of me, just found it on the net)

1.jpg

b1ack5mith

imported post

DANNNNG! he carried an ASSAULT rifle! maaan, wouldnt wanna mug that guy! since im young, ill probably attract even more attention lol! (18ish, carrying rifle, looks loaded... take him down boys!)

xmirage2kx

imported post

While I do not know of any laws preventing you from OC a rifle, it would not be wise unless you have the time and $ to be a test case. It would almost certainly cause some level of panic, which would allow you to be detained and most if not all stores would at least ask you to leave. Out in the Cabelas parking lot you would probably be fine but down town Provo you better be prepared to defend yourself legally.

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

In 1981 when I was 19 I lived in Portland, Oregon about two miles from a fairly remote area near the Columbia river where there were large empty fields dotted with blackberry thickets that were home to many rabbits and other small game. My two brothers and I would hike from our house to this area (through residential neighborhoods) carrying our .22 rifles openly. We were never challenged or confronted with one notable exception.

My older brother went by himself one time and was confronted by Portland police who disarmed him, forced him to the ground and handcuffed him. Multiple officers had weapons drawn and ready, and my brother was lucky to have not been shot that day. He told me that as the officer who cuffed him was kneeling on his back, he could feel him shaking like a leaf.

As it turned out, there was a prison break that day at Rocky Mount Penitentiary and one of the escaped prisoners bore a resemblance to my brother. After they checked his ID they apologized and let him go.

b1ack5mith

imported post

WOW! dang dude... an escapee... that bad guy (if he actually DID havea gun..) could have killed alot of people :/ well im glad the police are agressive enough... but in UT, (even in this small town with only about 18k people) is growing fast, and too many city people who dont know about the laws, or who are just afraid of knowledge, are coming in... and yes, im city... but atleast im changing :) but anyway, those city people would probably run down the street screaming if they saw a young looking guy carrying what resembled some kind of assault weapon lol! (sirens, cops, GET DOWN, a big black guy named bubba, not mentioning next step lol!)