Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blackhawk Serpa vs. Bianchi Carrylok

Post imported post

I need help deciding between the Blackhawk Serpa of the Bianchi Carrylok. I'm sure advice on these two holsters has gone round and round. I am looking for a carry holster with a retention and these two have caught my eye. By appearance and structure it seems that theBianchi holds the gun closer to the body for better concealement. As far as the retention mechanism goes, it seems they are pretty equal. If anyone has any experience with the two some advice would be great. Thanks, Nate

Post imported post

This is a Blackhawk Serpa crowd.

No criticism of it is allowed.

:P

State Researcher
    Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    This is a Blackhawk Serpa crowd.

No criticism of it is allowed.

:P
    How absurd. Oh... it's HankT. Of course it's absurd.

Criticism is allowed, posting "facts" without citations however is frowned upon.

State Researcher

Post imported post

natehunts wrote:
    I need help deciding between the Blackhawk Serpa of the Bianchi Carrylok. I'm sure advice on these two holsters has gone round and round.
    I don't know if it's been "round" much as the carrylock seems to be less popular (therefor less available).

I personally have not seen a carrylok but am interested in hearing the responses myself as I have not found one to put my hands on yet. And I hate ordering holsters without fondling them first. Cause I usually end up reselling them

Post imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:
    natehunts wrote:
    I need help deciding between the Blackhawk Serpa of the Bianchi Carrylok. I'm sure advice on these two holsters has gone round and round.
    I don't know if it's been "round" much as the carrylock seems to be less popular (therefor less available).

I personally have not seen a carrylok but am interested in hearing the responses myself as I have not found one to put my hands on yet. And I hate ordering holsters without fondling them first. Cause I usually end up reselling them

"And I hate ordering holsters without fondling them first"

That don't sound right...:what:...

State Researcher

Post imported post

Heh, I pick holsters like I pick wives.

Post imported post

If anything I have preferences towards the Bianchi. Only because it's leather which i'm slightly more fond of and it seems that it would hold slightly tighter to the body. However, I do like theSerpa retentionmore I have read nothing but praise over the Blackhawk and really nothing about the Bianchi, so i'm torn. Thanks for the replies so far.

State Researcher

Post imported post

natehunts wrote:
    If anything I have preferences towards the Bianchi. Only because it's leather which i'm slightly more fond of and it seems that it would hold slightly tighter to the body. However, I do like theSerpa retentionmore I have read nothing but praise over the Blackhawk and really nothing about the Bianchi, so i'm torn. Thanks for the replies so far.
    I've had several Bianchi holsters. I liked most of them.
    I use a 5BHL and 111cyclone for my "woods" revolvers.

Having always been a "leather" guy I was actually surprised I liked the SERPA.
    As you mention it does not ride real close to the body. I only use it for OC so not a biggie.

Post imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:

Post imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    Pa. Patriot wrote:

Heya, UTOC-45-44, you could use one of those Serpas, couldn't ya? I mean, the retention is on those is great.

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    Pa. Patriot wrote:

Heya, UTOC-45-44, you could use one of those Serpas, couldn't ya? I mean, the retention is on those is great.

What ya mean ???

I've got 2 already

Post imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    Pa. Patriot wrote:

What ya mean ???

I've got 2 already
    It's about time!

Hate to see one of the good guys losing his .44 mag to some snatching security guard...again.

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    Pa. Patriot wrote:

What ya mean ???

I've got 2 already
    It's about time!

Hate to see one of the good guys losing his .44 mag to some snatching security guard...again.

I still carry that one (44Mag) WIDE OPEN...STILL.

Just that IF he decides to take it AGAIN I have the Kimber to show him how Clean a Barrel can be when it's right in front of his EYES:what:...

(The Holster for the 44Mag has a Leather "string" retention that was not around the hammer at the time @ Harmons with the SG. Now it is.)

Post imported post

Um...... I pick neither.

I would pick a level one holster, er something like a Galco paddle with the thumb snap retention. Properly fit it is VERY hard to remove the weapon EXCEPT from the right angle.

Then again I also carry cocked and locked in "ISRAELI" condition, which is also not the norm.

YMMV

Post imported post

"ISREALI condition" What does that mean exactly?

State Researcher

Post imported post

natehunts wrote:
    "ISREALI condition" What does that mean exactly?
    No round in chamber

Post imported post

Also known as Condition 3.

http://www.sightm1911.com/Care/1911_conditions.htm

Now, with regards to the OP, I've never even HEARD of a Bianchi.

Although I do knd of like this pocket holster...
    http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/...xtModelID=4501
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

Here is a link to the bianchi holster I was referring to.

http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/...?TxtModelID=82

Post imported post

Serpa(Kydex) is a great holster, the release tab is right where your index finger is indexed, not a good holster for conceal carry. IMO

Bianchi(Leather), release tab not very intuitive, use moddle finger to release, probably a better conceal holster then the Serpa.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
    Serpa(Kydex) is a great holster, the release tab is right where your index finger is indexed, not a good holster for conceal carry. IMO

Bianchi(Leather), release tab not very intuitive, use moddle finger to release, probably a better conceal holster then the Serpa.
    So for a guy that wants an opencarryholster with a retention that's decently concealable, what would you suggest?

State Researcher

Post imported post

natehunts wrote
    :
    So for a guy that wants an opencarryholster with a retention that's decently concealable, what would you suggest?
    For those TWO specific purposes I would say a leather pancake w/thumbstrap.
    Such as: http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/...p?TxtModelID=7 but there are many good holsters in this design category.

I agree the SERPA is NOT a good concealment holster. And not having "fondled" the carrylock I can't opine on it.

Post imported post

natehunts wrote:
    Seems to me your mixing apples and oranges here. You're either carrying Openly or you're carrying Concealed - what is "decently concealed"? If you're carrying Openly the Serpa is a good choice, if you're carrying Concealed why do you need retention?

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

I have "fondled" the carrylock but did not select it. I did not like the look of the release "trigger" sticking out the back edge of the holster and the fact that I needed to introduce another digit into the training mix. The Serpa takes advantage of my trigger finger's already trained, extended position.

My weight is presently up to 150lb following an illness and I can conceal a full size 1911 without any difficulty. I do this simply by wearing a plaid or dress shirt that I have tailored like a Hawaiian shirt (I hate those prints) - with tails cut off and rehemmed. I wear these outside of my pants and either fully unbuttoned or partially so at the bottom. They are still long enough to tuck in for OCing which I do every week-end. This combination has become a standard with me and as such all belt and paddle hosters serve dual purpose for CC or OC.

Try this shirt trick. You'll like it. If neither you or your spouse sew, most dry cleaning shops will accomplish the simple alteration for a couple of bucks but make sure to test fit/measure the length required.

My favorite dual carry hoster is a FIST #7 hybrid with retension screw; however, it can be a very difficult holster to draw from (precise angle required) until you become famliar with it.
    http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/Default.htm
    :quirky Yata hey[img]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Smiley%20with%20gun.gif[/img][img]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Smiley%20with%20gun.gif[/img][img]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Smiley%20with%20gun.gif[/img][img]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Smiley%20with%20gun.gif[/img][img]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Smiley%20with%20gun.gif[/img][img]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Smiley%20with%20gun.gif[/img][img]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Smiley%20with%20gun.gif[/img][img]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Smiley%20with%20gun.gif[/img][img]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Smiley%20with%20gun.gif[/img][img]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Smiley%20with%20gun.gif[/img][img]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Smiley%20with%20gun.gif[/img][img]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Smiley%20with%20gun.gif[/img][img]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Smiley%20with%20gun.gif[/img][img]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Smiley%20with%20gun.gif[/img][img]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Smiley%20with%20gun.gif[/img][img]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Smiley%20with%20gun.gif[/img][img]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Smiley%20with%20gun.gif[/img][img]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Smiley%20with%20gun.gif[/img][img]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Smiley%20with%20gun.gif[/img][img]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Smiley%20with%20gun.gif[/img][img]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Smiley%20with%20gun.gif[/img][img]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Smiley%20with%20gun.gif[/img][img]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Smiley%20with%20gun.gif[/img][img]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Shooting%20smiley.gif[/img]
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Yeah. The Blackhawk Close Quarters Concealment holster is terrible for concealed carry. It just sticks out way too far...

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Re: Blackhawk CQC
    But it sure is "purdy and proud" and its mighty fast.
    Really, what it comes down to is that you can't have everything in one holster - at least that is my excuse for buying more. I'm still working on why I need that sharkskin trimmed thing.
    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast